The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A.E.M. in N/A.

David P

What are you doing to the engine to aid breathing though? Cams? Are you raising the safe RPM limit? Adding capacity? I think the first steps to more N/A power would be much lairier cams with suitable springs, an increased RPM limit and multiple throttle bodies, with a CR of about 11.5 to 1. None of those mods will be cheap. Don't get me wrong, I like N/A engines, but the cost of uppping BHP on a modern multi valve N/A is very costly indeed.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ah chris! just the man..... in regards to our convo the other night, will the parts i mentioned to you on (minus the cams until i get an answer but am still thinking a 280) and a raised limit be suitable for a half decent setup setup until i can fund a full build do you think??

Yes, I would think so. You have only three ways to make more power on an N/A. Make it pump air more efficiently, make it turn faster without blowing up, or make it bigger.

There's chemical supercharging (Nitrous Oxide) but that's a short term and generally rather unreliable way to do things that you will probably be sick of before the emptying of the 4th bottle.

What are you doing to the engine to aid breathing though? Cams? Are you raising the safe RPM limit? Adding capacity? I think the first steps to more N/A power would be much lairier cams with suitable springs, an increased RPM limit and multiple throttle bodies, with a CR of about 11.5 to 1. None of those mods will be cheap. Don't get me wrong, I like N/A engines, but the cost of uppping BHP on a modern multi valve N/A is very costly indeed.

Already told him most of that Chris, but he just keeps saying wait and see, and doesn't really answer direct questions, seems rather adamant (deluded) in my books, and not open to discussion.

If he spends thousands on head work, throttle bodies, cams, strokes it etc etc, he might just be in with a slim chance chance of making 280, but i doubt it.

I have not been ignoring your posts, just unaware of any activity.

Should you have read the whole thread..........

I am aiming for 280bhp, to allow for the average of 20 that will have escaped during the 60k it has been driven.

Contrary to popular opinion, I believe 100 hp per litre is acheivable from this engine without spending a fortune.

To upgrade the cams would give me hp, but at the expense of economy, so far my focus has been on efficiency, which gives me better mpg when not having fun with the bhp.

I am giving the stock cams a go first with the Unorthodox Racing adjustable gears. U.R. claim a gain of 10, but a U.S. magazine made a proven 22bhp gain, but don't know what other mods the engines may have had.

Further to the list in my signature, I have taper reamed a throttle body, gas flowed an inlet manifold, fitted it with AEM temp and MAP sensors and have a set of Nology Hot Wires ready to go on next whilst reshimming the tappets.

Waiting for the HKS Twin Power, the plug and play loom, and fittings to install the Fuelab regulator.

When these bits are fitted, I have some more work to do with insulation and ventilation, then I will be ready to fit the AEM ECU and take her to Silverstone for a trundle on the rollers.

Whatever the outcome, I am enjoying tinkering with my Supra, will try and post some snaps.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

tricky ricky the 300bhp n\a has been done just incase you missed it !!!! but as it says its costly http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009/10/07/car-feature-gt-gt-ysr-na-supra.aspx

Funny, can't see any dyno figures or graph's, is it USA by any chance:rolleyes::eyebrows:

Edit, now seen that its originally built in Japan, however i still would like to see an engine dyno chart, also i fail to see how 272 and only 10.2 lift is going to be enough for 300BHP, also no stroking or very high rev limit?.

Also i spot a std narrow band lambda, but i guess the Japanese are capable of rewriting the STD ECU, i'm afraid i still remain sceptical.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

tricky ricky isnt 7,500rpm higher than stock?

i still think its a hell of alot of work but i would like to do it

This engine has been highly modified to produce 305 HP at 7,500 rpm, that's over 100 HP per liter.

Engine:

- Toda ø 87 mm forged pistons

- JUN camshafts, 272º duration, 10.8 mm lift

- JUN titanium valve retainers

- JUN valve springs

- Tomei valve lifters

- Toyota 2JZ-GE cylinder head

- Fully balanced bottom end

- Ported and polished head

- Bored and honed 2JZ engine block

- HKS slide cam pulleys

- TRD timing belt

- YSR original 6-throttle intake conversion

- YSR custom intake plenum

- YSR custom airbox

- Apex Power intake

- YSR custom airbox piping

- YSR original exhaust manifold

- HKS front pipe

- Apex Hybrid Megaphone Evolution exhaust system

- YSR oil catch tank

- YSR power steering tank

- Trust oil cooler kit

- Perma Cool power steering cooler

- TRD oil filler cap

- TRD radiator cap

- Splitfire Twincore ignition cables

- TRD iridium spark plugs (Denso)

- Splitfire grounding kit

- I’MEC carbon look head covers

- Optima Yellow-top battery

- Trust e-Manage ECU

:wtfsign:

For a moment, I thought there was a glimmer of interest in my project, and have spent the last couple of hours trying to resize photographs to post for your interest.

:whoosh: :gayfight: :whoosh:

Like most on here, I am a Supra enthusiast.

Unlike some on here, I have no interest in Supra politics.

:closed:

well post them up then

All were saying is that with the list of parts you have you will struggle to hit your goal. Its not like we all dont know what were talking about :shrug:

like i said ill save judgement for when its done and the results are out but until i shall follow with interest

tricky ricky isnt 7,500rpm higher than stock?

i still think its a hell of alot of work but i would like to do it

This engine has been highly modified to produce 305 HP at 7,500 rpm, that's over 100 HP per liter.

Engine:

- Toda ø 87 mm forged pistons

- JUN camshafts, 272º duration, 10.8 mm lift

- JUN titanium valve retainers

- JUN valve springs

- Tomei valve lifters

- Toyota 2JZ-GE cylinder head

- Fully balanced bottom end

- Ported and polished head

- Bored and honed 2JZ engine block

- HKS slide cam pulleys

- TRD timing belt

- YSR original 6-throttle intake conversion

- YSR custom intake plenum

- YSR custom airbox

- Apex Power intake

- YSR custom airbox piping

- YSR original exhaust manifold

- HKS front pipe

- Apex Hybrid Megaphone Evolution exhaust system

- YSR oil catch tank

- YSR power steering tank

- Trust oil cooler kit

- Perma Cool power steering cooler

- TRD oil filler cap

- TRD radiator cap

- Splitfire Twincore ignition cables

- TRD iridium spark plugs (Denso)

- Splitfire grounding kit

- I’MEC carbon look head covers

- Optima Yellow-top battery

- Trust e-Manage ECU

Yes mate i did read it;) like i said i'm still sceptical.

Yes 7,500 is slightly over the stock limit, but not much, have you heard a 2JZGTE at 10,000 RPM:eyebrows:

[Youtube][/Youtube]

Edited by Tricky-Ricky (see edit history)

For a moment, I thought there was a glimmer of interest in my project, and have spent the last couple of hours trying to resize photographs to post for your interest.

well post them up then

All were saying is that with the list of parts you have you will struggle to hit your goal. Its not like we all dont know what were talking about :shrug:

like i said ill save judgement for when its done and the results are out but until i shall follow with interest

Precisely!

Its not unusual to have somebody come on here and tell us all that there going to produce a (insert BHP here) and proceed to quote a list of mods and parts that will never achieve the boast.

And believe it or not there are quite a lot of people on here who do know what there about when it comes to engines etc.

Some of us have just commented on your list of parts and your goals, thats all.

So pardon us for the scepticism, but as they say the proof of the pudding etc

Are you raising the safe RPM limit? Adding capacity? I think the first steps to more N/A power would be much lairier cams with suitable springs, an increased RPM limit and multiple throttle bodies, with a CR of about 11.5

for a change i agree with Chris here, and what he describes above is basically an BMW M3, however the BMW has several advantages the old school Supra just cant compete with, it has a cylinder head intake system design at least 20 years on from the Supra spawned by computer aided design, the intake bellmouth/horns are a work of (computer) art and dont forget variable valve timing. The easy way to big N/A power is cubic inchs which the Supra just does not have, your next alternative as a starting point would be wild cams, throttle bodies, a high compression ratio and a lot more revs.

Most of your emphasis seems to be the exhaust and to be brutally honest this is the easy bit, an air filter and exhaust will not get you anywhere near the performance of the M3 let alone a TT Supra, dont get me wrong i have warmed to the thought of a 300 bhp N/A since i started building a throttle body set up but we have seen these N/A threads come and go with tedious regularity, i really hope you succeed but i just cant see anything on the table that gives you a prayer

I'm still very interested and I applaud you for going down this route. Yes I'm sceptical that you'll get anywhere near 300BHP, but given enough money thrown at it anything is possible.

You're not the first to come on here posting that you're going to get big power out of an NA and you'll no doubt not be the last. However most people seem to go very quiet after their initial post when they realise how much money it would cost them. You've got further than them already and I look forward to seeing just what is achievable.

• 3 weeks later...

I have at last managed to reduce the size of some snaps of what I have done so far.

Haven't tried posting or attaching any yet, but have put these in my profile album with info, and larger pics in the 'my car'.

Installation of the AEM ECU is the last but one job on a long list.

Edited by David P (see edit history)