jevansio

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers Steve,

Just been thinking about the straps, I guess if they are too low down in a crash they could break you collar bone?

What do you mean coss them over? What other options do I have without fitting a full cage? Is it OK to wrap them around the rear cross brace?

If they're too close/low down, it just encourages your spine to get crushed in an accident (sorry - bit graphical, but it scares me when I see them mounted that way!) As the direction of travel is straight down towards the mounts - so as you can probably work out ... thats gonna hurt.

Don't use the rear strut brace, it's not designed to take the horizontal forces in the direction the harness will pull it.

A harness bar is the best option, as it mounts the harness points at the best level - you need the shoulder straps as near to horizontal as possible, see MSA blue book :

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/msa_forms/bluebooks/09/Competitors_Safety.pdf

bottom of page p183 shows the kind of angles you should try and get.

You should be able to mount the eye bolts (3 of them) where the mounts were for the seat belts in the back of the car - use the centre one for both seats (1 left and 1 right).

To cross them over means mount the left harness strap on the right harness eye-bolt and vice-versa. I mention this as you'll probably not have the harness completely tight - for comfort on the road, so crossing the straps behind the seat stops the looser shoulder straps from splitting apart under load and allowing you to fly forward between them (try it out and you'll see what I mean :))

Also, you should really only use the mounts on the car to secure any of the lap straps - not mount to the seat. It sounds like you have mounted to the car, so thats for the benefit of anyone else reading!

It's a little difficult to describe, so if its still not clear (my descriptions aren't always the best!) I'll take some pics of mine and show you were you can mount them...

After reading this, you'll probably see that theres not too many alternatives to mounting the harnesses elsewhere - best bet would be use a harness bar or the mounts that the rear belts used. (They are already reinforced due to the original use)

HTH's

Edited by SteveL (see edit history)

Damn you Jay, thats what i was going to do :)

PS, if you have removed the Doluck RTS, i can save you the effort of refitting ;)

Lol, don't worry bud, if I ever remove it there's a sticker with your name on it :)

Many thanks for the detailed write up Steve, I see what you mean about crossing them over now.

Quick one, I have used the rear seatbelt mounting points, in the pics the shoulder harnesses are just unhooked and hanging from the seat (to allow me to fit the carpet). Is that what you guys thought my straps were attached like or is fitting them to the rear seatbelt points still considered dangerous?

Many thanks for the detailed write up Steve, I see what you mean about crossing them over now.

Quick one, I have used the rear seatbelt mounting points, in the pics the shoulder harnesses are just unhooked and hanging from the seat (to allow me to fit the carpet). Is that what you guys thought my straps were attached like or is fitting them to the rear seatbelt points still considered dangerous?

... no probs, glad I can 'help' :)

I certainly thought you'd got the straps mounted straight down to the floor directly behind the seat - It looks like they're attached to the floor bar. Fitting to the rear seatbelt points is really your only option without other hardware.

I had mine fitted to the rear seatbelt mounts for my first few rounds of Timeattack and the scrutineers were ok with it.

You'd also need to consider stretch of the belts in an accident, so the shorter the better really. These belts don't tend to give a lot, but I was instructed by someone at Luke to keep them short.

So if you mounted them further back, eg on a purpose welded bar across the rear turrets, you'd be introducing more stretch than a bar welded just behind the seats across the 'B pillar' (if thats its name!)

Bet you didn't think a harness could be so complicated eh?:blink:

(We've also gone round full circle!)

Edited by SteveL (see edit history)

Many thanks guys :thumbs:

Certainly an improvement over all

those cars that are left bare metal. I like it! :)

Where did you source the carpet from? Looks a good match to stock black

I was at a car show in Harrogate, there was a stall but I can't remember what it was called :(. If you wanted some I'd ask a sound place if they can supply the material they use to cover subwoofer boxes.

how can you live without the heater matrix what do you do if the window front steams up .

which can happen even in summer months

I dunno yet, I haven't tried :D. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I've got a full respray planned once I'm happy with the car, maybe I'll get one of Whiffins heated front screens then. Plus the car isn't used everyday so I can pick & choose only days when the weather is totally fine :)

• 3 weeks later...

I received some interior trim from Whifbitz today so cracked on.

I removed the original piece & cut and re-did it. Also installed the side trim pieces. I'm going to leave it a day or two to see if the carpet finds a nice shape, it's hard to see in the pics but it is quite uneaven in places.

attachment.php?attachmentid=96670&stc=1&d=1249332677

attachment.php?attachmentid=96671&stc=1&d=1249332677

attachment.php?attachmentid=96672&stc=1&d=1249332677

attachment.php?attachmentid=96673&stc=1&d=1249332677

IMG_4004.jpg

IMG_4005.jpg

IMG_4006.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

Really like your approach Jay.

I'm sure plenty weight saving could be had if you got rid of those TRD splits. PO BOX HateEvent will suffice. :p

:thumbs: much appreciated bud

I'm still in two minds on getting rid of them :D (haven't posted a for sale thread as I keep changing my mind - but a decent offer would persude me :D)