Body kits - what is the point?

hogmaw

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

some kits are nice but then alot of them are rubbish looking especially veilside they were so 1993 lol im a big fan of stock however i did change to the trd copy rear spoiler and a seibon front spliter (took the active spoiler off for a fmic) but thats as far as the body is going on mine, its down to your own preferences

do you ever see a standard supra come up behind you in the rear view mirror? one word EVIL

My supra came with a bodykit, a blitz one, looked OK, but I replaced it with a Bomex later, wich looked better.

The stock look is still best probably, but only if it is with active spoiler and hood scoop...and maybe the toyota sideskirts :)

Homer,

did you miss out Tricky Ricky's full JDL kit? thought this kit might also pull it off.

It's only a vanity or sheep thing IMO. Some body kits do enhance the look of the car, but cars with randomly slapped on stuff without a thought for the overall look of the car just look naff. Aside from some front bumpers that can aid airflow to an FMIC (Do Luck and Stillen are the only that come to mind), bonnets vents which help with heat loss and in the case of track cars a huge rear spoiler, there isn't going to be a lot of difference from a performance perspective

As Jamie says a few cars that have had the overall look of the car taken into consideration do pull it off well...

Foodfreaks (Yes, a full Veilside kitted car)

Chingy (Full Do luck kit)

Javansio (subtle mods)

The Skunk2 supra

Jamie's old supra (bit ott, but did look good)

The Punisher (TRD aerotop)

From a practical point of view I can't be dealing with a kitted car anymore, they're just not worth the hassle. All I hear from owners of them is complaints about cracks, scrapes, difficulties going onto driveways, car parks, the list is endless.

Maybe I'm just getting old (and sensible) :D

Homer,

did you miss out Tricky Ricky's full JDL kit? thought this kit might also pull it off.

No. While I fully appreciate the hard work that Dick put into the project and the excellent quality of the final finish, it's not a bodykit I like. Too much going on and impractical due to the chance of cracking.

As said, I'm probably just getting old and sensible :D

me too i personally hate the stock look although not the active front splitter that looks nice. I for one when my car was silver had that the stock look with the wings west front splitter and it looked utter crap The ony cars iv seen pull that front lip are the ones that lowered the cars rightly and in black example javenso, jamie and ray

After deliberating a few times over getting a bodykit (was looking for a very subtle look) i decided that the stock look is so much better (but it’s all personal taste).

Perhaps having the front stock rubber lip colour coded and maybe the rear stock arch trim coded too but apart from that i don’t think i would do anything else to the body.

It’s just that (again personal opinion) that most kits don't follow the normal lines of the car and it’s that which makes these aftermarket bodykits look fugly.

I must admit the ones that do follow the lines of the car look great but its just not for me.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

IMHO body kits are a waste of time money and effort. i have put so much into my car to look the part only to see the stock look come back and look much better. i put a full jdl kit on mine, and three times had to re-spray because of tiny little hits and niggles here and there. so fed up now that i may rip the entire kit off, go back to stock, put on a carbon lip and drive knowing my bumpers wont crack over every pebble on the road.

IMHO body kits are a waste of time money and effort. i have put so much into my car to look the part only to see the stock look come back and look much better. i put a full jdl kit on mine, and three times had to re-spray because of tiny little hits and niggles here and there. so fed up now that i may rip the entire kit off, go back to stock, put on a carbon lip and drive knowing my bumpers wont crack over every pebble on the road.

I'd like to see how long you'd last before you get bored of that look. :p

Going from the JDL look and stares every time you drive it to pulling into a petrol station without a 2nd look. ;)

I am not convinced mr adnan. Btw fixed the gs300 :eyebrows:

Do you think the whole bodykit vs stock thing is self-regulating? i.e. when people had mainly stock supras (or when TF&TF cameout in the cinemas), maybe people wanted bodykits. When most supras have bodykits (maybe this is true right now), the stock look comes back into fashion. Some people will never be swayed to go from bodykit to stock, and vice versa.

As much as I don't like bodykits, it's on my car that I don't like them. It's always nice to see what other people can do to their cars, people who (usually!) have more creative spirit and practical know-how than me.

I don't think fitting bodykits has anything to do with vanity but more to do with individuality, and not wanting to be the same as everyone else.

I am pretty sure that if everyone's supra was standard that at shows, etc the MKIV stand would not get as much attention as it currently does. After all if all 100+ supra's at JAE, when it was a Peterbourough a couple years ago, where all standard once people had looked at a couple they would soon move on.

Don't get me wrong badly kitted supra's wind me up, but personally I love to see both standard and probably kitted supra's. After diversity is the spice of life! :D

(Before anyone says anything about mine, I am not a lover of the veilside spoiler either, and as soon as the opportunity arises it is going ;) )

body kits are for non london residents! so much money wasted.....

Just out of interest, how much would a "decent" supra bodykit (subjective definition I know, just a rough order-of-magnitude figure :)) cost, including fitting and spraying?

I've never looked into it, hence I couldn't even guess a figure.

we put a massive bodykit on ours that was purely to give it a bit of a 'unique' touch and it was the stupidest thing we've ever done to a car!

I do like the look of a bodykits but can't imagine that many of them actually do much performance wise. The supra is so quick against most cars that to be honest a bit of fibreglass on normal roads isn't going to make a huge amount of difference so I think body kits are good if you want to make it a bit different. I love the thought that I will never pass another supra with that bodykit and paint colour, but the impracticality of having a large kit is kicking in and I would very happily have the car back to stock!