Buying an RX-7

SupraGirlie

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Garfy

Ignorance bliss is it?

No it will not, the LSX series engine is all aluminium, hense light, with all the weight being located at the sump, 50/50 distribution is very achievable. Mine when finished should return 25-30mpg a very easy 400rwhp, and take it like a champ all day long (craig whats that rather hot looking woman you live with?)

Neil

I find it hard to believe its as light as the tiny rotary unit, and I bet you can't fit it as far back in the engine bay either.

i cant be arsed to read every thing :) but as long as u get one thats got a lot of history, be warey of ones thats done about 60k miles and not had a engine rebuild. ones thats had compression tests are good or mayb take some one to do a compression test as if its low its rebuild time as the points on the rotary engine do wear out!

Guest Sacrilegious-FD
I find it hard to believe its as light as the tiny rotary unit, and I bet you can't fit it as far back in the engine bay either.

The LSX series engine is a pushrod V8 so is relativity small if your thinking about your straight V6/V8's from your supra or BMW etc for comparision sake, 6.0 Liter of empty air.

13B

13B + (turbos*2) + BOV + intercooler + piping + oil coolers = LS1

Default FD weight comparo w/LS1 vs rotary and autocross video/results

I weighed both cars over the weekend at our autocross event at giants stadium. Both cars had spare removed. Both had almost full tanks of gas but my car has a reduced capacity tank which holds 5 gallons less (5 gallons at 8 lbs/gallon = 40 lbs). Both had stock 16 x 8 rims but i had 245-45-16's Yok AO32R's and rotary had 265-45-16 Kumho ecsta v700's. My car is missing AC, PS and ABS. My battery is in bin on passenger side whereas stock RX7 has battery in original position up front. Bottom line is mine weighed about 15 lbs more but had a better weight distribution of 50.5/49.5 front to rear and his stock RX7 was 53/47:

--------------LS1 ------- Rotary

Left Front: 684 ------- 718

Right Front: 695 ------- 718

Total Front: 1379 ------- 1436

Left Rear: 705 ------- 660

Right Rear: 645 ------- 618

Total Rear: 1350 ------- 1278

TOTAL: 2729 ------- 2714

% over Front: .505 ------- .53

% over Rear: .495 ------- .47

Yes, the rotaty places about 55 lbs more over the front tires!!! incredible!!

I'll update with official times when they are released, but my fastest time was 54.0 and his was 56.0. His tires were way better than mine, no comparision. they were wider and stickier. My yok's are hard compound and are better on road courses than autocross. He is SCCA SS class driver that is original owner of the car, which is 93 R1. He races full season and competes in Kopeka, but this was my first autocross of the year!! and my first time ever autocrossing any RX7. He has stock R1 springs (stiffer than my stock non-R1 springs?) and $2400 koni custom valved double adjustable shocks and i have 13 year old stock units. The lack of ABS in my car definitely hurt my times as the video reflects constant right front tire lockup (dusty course, need new bleed because i just installed new master, need to adjust proportioning valve, who knows). He loved the car and how it felt on the course so that means a lot coming from a die hard rotary owner/racer. Just listen to his own words at the end of the video.

http://207.127.219.37/video/AX.wmv

Thats quality. Dunno if its been mentioned but how come it has 2 different plates? Pics taken at different times from a private plate?

Been thinking about a rex myself. Luv the veilside fortune kitted ones but they're fetching 20k plus and cant really justify that.

Sexy as hell though:

http://images.pistonheads.com/aimg/1000/1000614-1.jpg

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1000614.htm

I don't really like the orange F+F Rex to be honest, not since all the nasty replicas of it came out anyway!

Yeah think that was the previous owners private plate and new owner changed it to his own. He is interested in a p/x with my Supra, not sure how much he would put on top though, might just be best off selling it then buying his.

Yeah I know what you mean, its gotta be done proper.

I'd go for that rex and see if you can get abit out of him. Looks super in your garage so hopefully you'll come to a decent agreement. Difficult times to be selling so p/x maybe easier....:search:

Good luck :cool:

Yeah I know what you mean, its gotta be done proper.

I'd go for that rex and see if you can get abit out of him. Looks super in your garage so hopefully you'll come to a decent agreement. Difficult times to be selling so p/x maybe easier....:search:

Good luck :cool:

Everyone keeps saying difficult times to be selling, but I haven't even advertised mine and had 3 or 4 offers of 8.5k and more!

Fair enough, may as well sell and buy his at that price and have cash in your pocket too :thumbs:

Yeah but if I get around 9k for my Supra, and buy his for 7k, that leaves me with only 1.8kish, so I may as well keep the Supra as the whole point of selling the sup was to free up some cash, like 4k+ sort of cash lol. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong sort of cars :(

Yeah but if I get around 9k for my Supra, and buy his for 7k, that leaves me with only 1.8kish, so I may as well keep the Supra as the whole point of selling the sup was to free up some cash, like 4k+ sort of cash lol. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong sort of cars :(

Mmm say you sell the Supra for 9k? Then you have 5k to spend and 4k in your wallet and you really want a rotory engine...plus I hear your moving out so you really want to keep that 4k...then may I sugguest a RX8 instead? Ok nowhere near as powerful and yes you will get 18mpg but gotta admit it does look very nice and when I drove my cousin's one which was the 231bhp version, it was very good! Though pretty gutless compared to the TT Supe!

Personally in your situation if your moving out then you need extra cash really as you will want to maybe decorate etc so buying these cars might not be very suitable?

RX7\Supra\Skyline...we love throwing money at these cars!

This is all a thought... but I bet you loads of money, come tomorrow and its a sunny day and your in the Aero and Oh look a nice twisty B road and you wouldnt even dream of selling it!:D

Mmm say you sell the Supra for 9k? Then you have 5k to spend and 4k in your wallet and you really want a rotory engine...plus I hear your moving out so you really want to keep that 4k...then may I sugguest a RX8 instead? Ok nowhere near as powerful and yes you will get 18mpg but gotta admit it does look very nice and when I drove my cousin's one which was the 231bhp version, it was very good! Though pretty gutless compared to the TT Supe!

Personally in your situation if your moving out then you need extra cash really as you will want to maybe decorate etc so buying these cars might not be very suitable?

RX7\Supra\Skyline...we love throwing money at these cars!

This is all a thought... but I bet you loads of money, come tomorrow and its a sunny day and your in the Aero and Oh look a nice twisty B road and you wouldnt even dream of selling it!:D

RX8's are far too slow and boring for me, I don't like the look of them either. I think I could find a nice RX-7 for 5k and keep the rest of the money towards moving out. I have now dropped the sup in at AFR today to have the Greddy turbo timer, Greddy boost controller that I had already and a Greddy FMIC that I agreed to buy ages ago, and UK brakes going on this sunday, so I may keep it for a bit as it would be a shame to spend all that only to sell it straight away, however I don't know how long I can justify keeping it for :(

RX8's are far too slow and boring for me, I don't like the look of them either. I think I could find a nice RX-7 for 5k and keep the rest of the money towards moving out. I have now dropped the sup in at AFR today to have the Greddy turbo timer, Greddy boost controller that I had already and a Greddy FMIC that I agreed to buy ages ago, and UK brakes going on this sunday, so I may keep it for a bit as it would be a shame to spend all that only to sell it straight away, however I don't know how long I can justify keeping it for :(

:D

Good luck though... I sugguest trying your best to keep the Supe, I can tell for a fact you will regret it big time if you sold...even though its not in the best colour :p

Good luck though... I sugguest trying your best to keep the Supe, I can tell for a fact you will regret it big time if you sold...even though its not in the best colour :p

I will be keeping the Supra for now As I have just had a new FMIC fitted and various other things, just off to AFR to pick it up now :D:d

I am in a similar position to yours and at least once a week I think of selling up and getting a Fiat 500 abarth or a brabus smart car

80% of the time I am doing 60km/h or less and if I was caught using the Supra's potential I would get banned

Ever think of getting a hot hatch for 5K or would you even pic up a S2000

Personally I would like a Twin cam AE86 , simple mechanics and cheap to maintian

Black is the best colour. It's the fastest because the paint weighs less. :innocent: