The mkiv Supra Owners Club

best bodykit for a black supra?

gannon888

I have to concur with the statement about kitted vs. stock. Despite how tatty my VS kit looks at the moment at Brands Hatch the other night it got alot of attention compared to some very nice stock ones. Guess it has to do with how it grabs your attention. Either way, if you want a VS kit I will have one for sale on the cheap in about a month :D

the veilside kit is just nasty the only reason it gets so many looks is because they think "oh my god thats nasty"

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It totally depends what you want the car for. Personally I'm going to take my do-luck off and go back to stock. I'm sick of the rubbish you've got to put up with just to have a poorly fitting front bumper. My car isn't meant to be a show car, I drive it hard. I guess if you want people to look at you then buy an orange Supra with VS kit, but IMO a black stock-styled one will always command more respect.

It totally depends what you want the car for. Personally I'm going to take my do-luck off and go back to stock. I'm sick of the rubbish you've got to put up with just to have a poorly fitting front bumper. My car isn't meant to be a show car, I drive it hard. I guess if you want people to look at you then buy an orange Supra with VS kit, but IMO a black stock-styled one will always command more respect.

I think the only reason you think that is simply because a lot of hardcore supra enthusiats on here fit that stock looking black supra build. Strangely a very high number of well spec'd supras on here are black and fairly stock looking - and I whole heartedly respect their cars.

But lets not forget what the original poster asked.

He purely wanted to know what was the best looking kit for a black supra. 'Best looking' being the key words, and I do not think a stock supra front bumper fits that build in my opinion, and dare I say the public in general.

I think it'll be fair to say on here people do almost idolise the stock look, but in all honesty, a stock supra "generally" will never draw the crowd like a kitted supra can.

Haha, this is a very debatable fact. I for one do not enjoy it lol

As much as I think a VS supe can look fantastic in the right colour with the good set of wheels etc, it's pointless trying to argue that fact on here despite stunning examples such as supra_woman's and Leep's cars.

You think the general public think it's getting old and dated :blink: Who cares?! Maybe they look at a Veilside kitted Supra because it looks horrendous and out of place.

I have had 4 Supra's with Do-luck fronts etc, and now I have one which is stock, 19"s and active spoiler, I love it more than any of my others, and it gets just as much attention, in fact I think it gets more because it's a real Supra :D

Maybe they're now looking at you Nell, and not the car. ;)

I think its the wheels that do it, personally. ;)

I think the only reason you think that is simply because a lot of hardcore supra enthusiats on here fit that stock looking black supra build. Strangely a very high number of well spec'd supras on here are black and fairly stock looking - and I whole heartedly respect their cars.

But lets not forget what the original poster asked.

He purely wanted to know what was the best looking kit for a black supra. 'Best looking' being the key words, and I do not think a stock supra front bumper fits that build in my opinion, and dare I say the public in general.

I think it'll be fair to say on here people do almost idolise the stock look, but in all honesty, a stock supra "generally" will never draw the crowd like a kitted supra can.

I'm not a hardcore Supra enthusiast mate. I have had 2 of them simply because they were the best cars I could afford at the time without having to be rebuilt every 5000 miles. (lol).

I don't think it's that strange at all that there are so many black, stock bodied Supras. The reason is simple - they look good.

I guess it completely depends then on who you're trying to impress with your car. Who is this magical 'crowd'?

I'm not a hardcore Supra enthusiast mate. I have had 2 of them simply because they were the best cars I could afford at the time without having to be rebuilt every 5000 miles. (lol).

I don't think it's that strange at all that there are so many black, stock bodied Supras. The reason is simple - they look good.

I guess it completely depends then on who you're trying to impress with your car. Who is this magical 'crowd'?

lol@magical crowd.

The same magical crowd jazz, tom, and the others are talking about. ;)

lol@magical crowd.

The same magical crowd jazz, tom, and the others are talking about. ;)

Thanks for being so specific :) I completely understand now. Thing is, the car shows that I tend to go to usually have 100% stock cars, and a stock looking Supra still grabs attention like you wouldn't believe if it's been maintained correctly. Pushing everyone on the forum into the showcar scene isn't exactly a fair and accurate way of classifying what looks 'good'.

Thanks for being so specific :) I completely understand now. Thing is, the car shows that I tend to go to usually have 100% stock cars, and a stock looking Supra still grabs attention like you wouldn't believe if it's been maintained correctly. Pushing everyone on the forum into the showcar scene isn't exactly a fair and accurate way of classifying what looks 'good'.

dont tell me you are going stock front yours is one of my favourite:(

This is where it comes down again to personal preference. What draws one person may keep another away. At the end of the day you have to watch it sit in your drive :D

dont tell me you are going stock front yours is one of my favourite:(

3 years of having to repair the fibreglass, constant adjust the sinking and generally not being happy have taken their toll mate. Plus, the stonechips are a nightmare when you're chasing RS6s up the Autobahn at 180mph.

Ok, being specific, I am talking about the general public when you drive your car around to and from your mates place or whatever.

And to be honest, even at jap car shows to be honest, I notice the same trends, where kited cars grab 90% of all the attention. The only exception to this is specific mkivs supra meets.

I'm not inclined to pushing everyone into slapping a bodykit on their car. Just giving the original poster honest advice.

I could say "Keep it stock, its the best look and your car will rival any other kitted supra lookswise when you park it up next to another kitted supra", but that would be a blatant lie. And you can see from this thread I am not alone in this honest thought.

3 years of having to repair the fibreglass, constant adjust the sinking and generally not being happy have taken their toll mate. Plus, the stonechips are a nightmare when you're chasing RS6s up the Autobahn at 180mph.

I agree maintainance and varying your route to avoid speed humps etc. etc. are annoying.

I am only giving the original poster my own honest advice, which I am glad to notice many people agree with.

I think the thing we are finding out here is that everyone has their own opinion on what makes a nice Supra, I don't think either side is going to convince the other no matter how hard they try that their opinion is better.

I know you keep saying that park a kitted Supra next to a stock Supra & see which draws the crowds. Well when I've been out & about with Michel (and boy is his one of the nicest kitted Supra's on here), that they both draw equal amounts of compliments & attention from the "General Public".

EDIT : PS Dunk is right, TRD Widebody kicks ass on a black Supra :D

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

I like some kitted cars but imo most kitted cars are done on the cheap and so badly they look awefull imo, on the odd occasion you come across cars like chingys do luck car or Jazz1's car built with genuine parts and well put together they look very good:cool:

Mines stock and always gets a fair bit of attention. Although if there was a TRD3000 next to it, then no one would look at mine. On the other hand, if it was in the middle of all the Du-luck fronts and trail rears then mine would stand out from the croud :p

I like some kitted cars but imo most kitted cars are done on the cheap and so badly they look awefull imo, on the odd occasion you come across cars like chingys do luck car or Jazz1's car built with genuine parts and well put together they look very good:cool:

cheers jamiep same goes for your car like iv said colour plays a big role. Iv seen some replica do lucks and they just do not fit or seem right

cheers jamiep same goes for your car like iv said colour plays a big role. Iv seen some replica do lucks and they just do not fit or seem right

Jazz, what are the original do-luck fronts made from? Fitment is one of the issues that is making me go back to stock, as is the flexibility.

Jazz, what are the original do-luck fronts made from? Fitment is one of the issues that is making me go back to stock, as is the flexibility.

Fibergalss mate, but mine is strong and i have a apr undertray, i have no issues with bumps etc or stone chips and the alignement is perfect

There'll never be a consensus opinion when it comes to subjects like this :D As has been mentioned it's all very much a personal preference. Some want to be noticed in their car, some don't. Some want the adoration of the masses at events, some couldn't care less what others think, some don't even want to go to events. Some think that modified is always better, others think that modified is tacky.

I've done the modified look but was fed up with after a couple of year. Stone chips, the odd crack from catching a spoiler or skirt, the comments of "chav" or other derogatory words from people I've never spoken to before.

Today was a good example of what I like as a car to look at but would not want to own. Robs Candy red TRD widebody, 6spd TT aerotop (A rather rare and very sought after spec, and stunning to look at). But driving it today with the roof off, I honestly felt like a bit of a twit. People were looking at the car and us on every turn, other drivers slow down to take a good look, people passing comment when you drive past. I didn't like the attention. A stock looking supra wouldn't get that, and for me, that’s preferable.

Here's the car in question, I think most would say it looks great, but it's not a car I'd want to own without it being toned down.

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=14184&d=1235335588

the problem with the replica do luck fronts iv noticed is the ones without an undertray. They front part of the bumper on side view goes up and that back part kind of goes does making it look very funny

A do-luck copy without the heafty undertray would be an aerodynamic nightmare and quite frankly dangerous! The front sticks out so far it need a very strong tray to keep it in shape and to ensure the front end doesn't lift.