The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RPS Street Max - dragging!

johnny g

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ideal fix is a larger bore master cylinder, but this involves fabrication work. I did an adaptor for my Skyline running a bespoke release bearing assembly and something similar could be done on a MKIV. I need to post pics to someone doing a bespoke set up on a V8 in a Soarer, I'll copy here later.

I'm pretty sure it'll be the adjustment nut on the back of the pedal. Wind it in / out whichever way it needs to go. If you run out of travel, then look for something else... ;)

What he said, we used to have to mess about with MR2's clutch pedal adjuster all the time after fitting these at Rogue. They also always smell clutchy for a bit too.

Lyndon.

The ideal fix is a larger bore master cylinder, but this involves fabrication work. I did an adaptor for my Skyline running a bespoke release bearing assembly and something similar could be done on a MKIV. I need to post pics to someone doing a bespoke set up on a V8 in a Soarer, I'll copy here later.

Hi Chris to pick up on what your saying I have an old slave cylinder and have stripped it down what Im thinking of doing is have something welded to the back of the piston behind the seals which is ally then machined/turned which should change the amount of displacement in the bore which in theory should work,What you think ??;)

I think someone wasn't paying attention in physics class :) That won't work I am afraid

:)

You would need to reduce the diameter of the bore, piston and seal using a sleeve and alternative pistons and seals. the cost would be prohibitive. Will photo my master cylinder adaptor later. it's rough and ready as the whole drive line installation is going in a shell with a proper bias pedal box assemble remote from the bulkhead soon. Toyota do offer a smaller bore cylinder, there was a post listing part numbers, whether the smaller one (from an N/A I think) would be small enough, I don't know.

I think someone wasn't paying attention in physics class :) That won't work I am afraid

:)

You would need to reduce the diameter of the bore, piston and seal using a sleeve and alternative pistons and seals. the cost would be prohibitive. Will photo my master cylinder adaptor later. it's rough and ready as the whole drive line installation is going in a shell with a proper bias pedal box assemble remote from the bulkhead soon. Toyota do offer a smaller bore cylinder, there was a post listing part numbers, whether the smaller one (from an N/A I think) would be small enough, I don't know.

chris is the same system on a uk car or are they different to the jap

Done some more thinking about this got a bit confussed and the only way to sort it is to get it sleeved I need to work out the volume of the bore as to assertain what diameter of sleeve I will need,then theres the problem of finding seals but Im not giving up just yet ;)

HELP Chris/Dude both of you have come across this issue before I have tried everything I know to get the clutch to release if I start it in gear clutch seems ok but I cannot select gears I would have to say these clutches are shit I've been outside in my garage all bloody day trying everything and still no joy I have measured the slave cylinder bore and its 20.6 mm so I dont know what else to do HELP its really pissed off this problem any ideas please :(:(:(

Edited by Racman
clef (see edit history)

Yea, my bite point is low as well. At my power levels, it'll last forever...

been running this RPS setup for the past 45K miles (BPU & Single) without any issues AND with a perfect bite point (not lower than stock)

EDIT - im running a stock flywheel

Edited by imi (see edit history)

been running this RPS setup for the past 45K miles (BPU & Single) without any issues AND with a perfect bite point (not lower than stock)

+1

I have a RPS clutch with RPS flywheel on my car for more than 2 years now. I love it.

is the fly wheel noisy or does it rattle is it better to go with the original oem fly wheel

Matter of taste Nigel.

It is noisy at low revs (for example, if you cruising in 5th gear at 2k and you accelerate, you hear the rattle quite well).

I guess on an everyday car, it would be better with the OEM flywheel.

But I like it. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys well I've still got the same problem sometimes it will go into gear but most times it wont I'm using the smaller bore slave cylinder and a new master cylinder and still got the problem seems OK for a few minutes when engine is cold and to boot was going to be using it tomorrow for my daughters prom but it would be embarrassing so now I'm at a loss don't know what else to do,I have even drilled a new locater for the rod on the release bearing fork and adjusted the rod on the master cylinder as far as it will go without it falling of (IE) its on its last few threads :(:(

• 1 month later...