The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RPS Street Max - dragging!

johnny g

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could, if you really wanted to, probably cure it with a clutch slave cylinder with a very slightly smaller bore, or a master cylinder witha very slightly larger bore. Whether anything that's a direct bolt on exists I don't know. Someone really keen could have a stock master cylinder bored and honed out and a new piston made, and a new, bigger seal sourced. Costs, unless you could machine it yourself, would be high....

I do have another idea, which may work, and would be cheap, I'd need someone to act as a Guinea pig, and to send me a spare clutch master cylinder to play with. If it works they can have the first one free, if it doesn't they've lost a cylinder... :)

Edited by Chris Wilson (see edit history)

I may change mine, But what decent clutch can i get for the NA 5speed that will hold BPU+ levels?

Good question - im sure lots of us are waiting for this answer as it appears more and more of us that went from n/a -TT, for example, are experiancing issues with this clutch :Popcorn:

I have an RPS max street clutch fitted to my N/A (5 speed pre face lift) supra and have to say it can be a PINTA to get in reverse, embarassing when I'm trying to manouvre and everyone's looking

gulp!!
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_oops.gif
Its also a bit stiff to get into 1st but to be honest as long as your fast on and off the clutch and don't expect to be able to balance it in traffic it makes for really quick gear changes ;) It requires more foot pressure in first and reverse, I stomp hard on it and that seems to work!! All 8 stone plus of me :innocent:

To me its just part of the characteristics of that particular clutch, I don't think its any problem per se.

If you have any floor mats that get under the clutch pedal when depressed they'll make things a LOT worse. Selecting second or third then quickly going into first or reverse will probably help too. You shouldn't have to do any of this though....

Agreed, Chris.

Right, my good ol' mate from Mr T has come around and adjusted the clutch pedal and I have to say it's miles better.

12 and 14 mm spanners required, lengthed the rod a little (personal preference) - et voila. About 5 minutes of tinkering under the pedals sorted it.

Off out for a drive in a few ... will report back later.

....working fine for a ten min spin!

i have used the RPS 6 puck for 3000 miles and found it stiff, shuddery and very on/off, but no problems with selection of gears.

I have just ordered a new Street max clutch plate so hopefully mine will be OK?

The MVP website has some good info that helped me understand the RPS range.

"The Street max (Any Blue housed baskets) have a 38% higher spring finger pressure rating over stock"

When i did my research i found the street max package (solid clutch plate) was a good compromise on drive ability and power holding abilities.

When mine is fitted i will report my experiences.

Stuart

I got this reply

Hi,

I did talk with one other guy from the Uk about another clutch that was having similar problems to yours. From what he has said on the forums, adjusting the clutch pedal has solved all his problems. The easiest way to adjust the pedal is to loosen the jam nut on the clutch master rod and turn the rod by hand clockwise until you feel resistance. Now turn the rod counter-clockwise 1/2 a revolution and tighten the jam nut. If the clutch still engages too close to the floor, you can dis-connect the Cruise Control switch at the top of the pedal and than loosen its jam nut and srcew it out 1-2 turns. This will allow you to slightly raise the clutch pedal and re-adjust even more. Please let me know if this helps. One more thought- try bleeding the clutch fluid one more time to make sure there is no air in the system.

Adjusting nearly all the free play out of the system is really a crutch to mask a cover that's not geometrically correct for the available stock bearing travel. The problems are you could adjust so there's no free play, and the bearing wears out, as do the pressure plate fingers, or you adjust so there's minimal free play, as they suggest, then as soon as a bit of wear occurs you are back to the bearing being in permanent contact with the fingers.... A linered slave cylinder would reduce its bore and fix things properly, as would a decent clutch :)

Adjusting nearly all the free play out of the system is really a crutch to mask a cover that's not geometrically correct for the available stock bearing travel. The problems are you could adjust so there's no free play, and the bearing wears out, as do the pressure plate fingers, or you adjust so there's minimal free play, as they suggest, then as soon as a bit of wear occurs you are back to the bearing being in permanent contact with the fingers.... A linered slave cylinder would reduce its bore and fix things properly, as would a decent clutch :)

I agree there, Chris.

I've used RPS in my MR2's with no problems - but I think I'll give this clutch a hard life for a bit and then move on to the next one - it won't be an RPS one, I can say that much.

I do have another idea, which may work, and would be cheap, I'd need someone to act as a Guinea pig, and to send me a spare clutch master cylinder to play with. If it works they can have the first one free, if it doesn't they've lost a cylinder... :)

If i can source a spare cylinder Chris i will send one up to you. :)

• 1 month later...

Johnny, how is the clutch now? Still working good?

Do you still have some free play in the pedal with the amount you adjusted it? I haven't been in the footwell to look but I assume that lengthening the rod/adjuster will remove some of the free play, correct?

My RPS clutch arrived from Kyle and I may be fitting it next weekend, just want to know how you got on with yours before I start mine :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
it won't be an RPS one, I can say that much.

What would you go for Johnny?

I've currently got CW's modified clutch, but I believe it started to slip on the dyno around 490ft/lb, so I'm contemplating getting something that can with stand more torque, however I don't really want to compromise usebility/drivability.

Does anyone have any suggestions other then RPS?

• 1 year later...

Guys I know this is a year old but did ye manage to sort out the problems as I have just fitted a rps clutch to my soarer and am sure Im going to have the same problems cheers if I had of read this thread first I would of stayed well clear :(