The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how do you gain lost horsepower

w41k3r

Well, nothing cheap. This is a forced induction site where people are used to 100bhp gains for £1500.

Got to e36.com or any 3 series site and see how much those guys spend getting a 330Ci from 220 odd bhp to 250.

The principle remains the same, more air and fuel = more power.

Fully understand that Gaz. What I'm getting at is if the motor is already down on power it's got an issue which isn't going to be worked around by 'uprating' other parts to try and compensate. The route cause of the power issue needs to be found before going down the modification route.. in the NA's case it's far easier and cheaper to just replace the lump if the bottom end or head has issues (he's already been offered a low mileage one for free)

Gotchya.

It could be something stupid- it's easier to test 6 injectors for flow and pattern than to swap a whole engine.

If you have 40 horses missing in action and you are using a litre of oil every thousands miles then the engine is either knackered or beyond economic repair (mainly because of the oil usage) but if it's say 25bhp then for the sake of a few hundred quid imo I'd get it looked at.

What has the OP done so far?

End of the day, as things wear out over mileage you lose power, its inevitable. The only way you can get back to factory fresh horsepower is to get it rebuilt to factory specs.

I had mine dyno'd last year, factory specs were 280hp, with high flow airbox, fcd and straight through exhaust I made 270. With mods that should have gained 20hp I lost 10hp... Its a fact of life :(

End of the day, as things wear out over mileage you lose power, its inevitable. The only way you can get back to factory fresh horsepower is to get it rebuilt to factory specs.

I had mine dyno'd last year, factory specs were 280hp, with high flow airbox, fcd and straight through exhaust I made 270. With mods that should have gained 20hp I lost 10hp... Its a fact of life :(

Also, engines vary in HP from the factory due to build tolerances etc.

From what I can understand you just want to get it running as well as it can.

Full service ie. all fluids, plugs, filters, etc. If it is still running the factory fitted oxygen sensors, then fitting new ones should make quite a noticeable difference in fuel economy and power.

If you can afford to get it to Keron's for an engine swap then you can have my N/A engine for free if you want, it's got really low miles on it(I think it was somewhere between 40k-50k) and should keep costs down a bit.

It should be coming out the car March time.

Cheers dude, I may very well take you up on that offer.

Get it on an accurate dyno to see what its actually got.

Then get a compression test done followed by a leakdown test which will show if your losing hp via the valves or the piston rings or both.

A damn good service wont hurt but wont fix leaky valves or worn bores and rings.