The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MkIV Gearbox: Manual Vs Automatic

Guest Darren456

You can use power braking with the auto to achieve a good launch, it takes practice to get right though.

Hardley gives you a great launch though, its easy to get right, you just rev up to 2k before you wheel spin. Thats the reason why people go for hi-stalls, its that little secret that the quick quater mile timers use to get in the 11's with pretty much everything else stock. Although they wont brag about BL boxes and hi-stalls, they like to think they actually used skill to get there :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

you cant accelerate and eat a banana at the same time in a manual

:p

Rich

girlfreind says the handbrake gets in the way :)

always had manuels before my tt and i love it manuel mode is there if you want more engine braking or to hold the gears for roundabouts etc

It does if you do it right ;)

what am i doing wrong.. 2k rpm, brakes holding the power, take foot off brake and plant your right foot....... take off the line with the last bit of rubber holding the traction but without wheelspin

your sounding like one of those, yeah its all skill guys now!!!! Its not hard and its not rocket science. Its probably harder to get wrong than it is get "right"

Did the early Supra's come with a 5spd Manual or 6spd? And if they did come with a 5 speed was it any good? When compared to say an early auto box of the same year? (1993/1994)

Early N/As came with 5 speed manual or auto Later N/As came with 6 speed (but i think it was an option rather than std - may be wrong)

I dunno, I think an auto Supra will still be quicker on the strip regardless. At a track it's a different matter though.

I disagree on the track thing. I believe a well driven auto will keep with a 6sp. You just need to make sure your brakes are up to the task.

JB

Is that comparing a well driven auto & an averagly driven 6sp :D

yep. If you dont know how to get the most from an auto it wont give much back on a track. You do need to stir the lever a bit to get the best out of it. So long as you keep it in the right gear then theres no delay in the kickdown (cos there isnt one).

Like for like mods they should be about equal.

yep. If you dont know how to get the most from an auto it wont give much back on a track. You do need to stir the lever a bit to get the best out of it. So long as you keep it in the right gear then theres no delay in the kickdown (cos there isnt one).

Like for like mods they should be about equal.

Must admit the 996 Tiptronic is a real good drive, the 6sp has the edge but as you say like for like there probably won't be a lot between them.

Early N/As came with 5 speed manual or auto Later N/As came with 6 speed (but i think it was an option rather than std - may be wrong)

Nope you could get facelift 5 speed NA's then the 6 speed was also available on one of the versions but i dont remember which one.

My 5 speed box was very nice to use. I drove a 6 speed for a day and found it quite annoying. Now i have a uk auto and i love it :)

I test drove 6 speeds and auto's, only TT',back in 2000 before I got my car. In the end it came down to condition of the car when I was ready to buy. I never had any regrets and stayed auto right up to earlier this year. I only changed to a manual box because, for the level of power I am aiming, there would be serious heat issues through an different auto box.(The TT box is not recommend for use above 500 bhp)

A well maintained MKIV auto box is virtually smooth through all changes. In manual mode, you can control change points so use a wider rpm range and still change faster than a manual. I remember shortly after going BPU, I followed a 6 speed with more modifications. From a standing start, he was already rolling I quickly caught up, then we we about level, I gained on him through each of his gear changes and stayed a constant distance behind until around 80, even then there was little difference.

As far as running cost are concerned, It may cost slightly more with an auto as the it needs regular fluid to keep it sweet. Not shure how long a manual clutch lasts? However a god auto box can be had for £150 - £200 so less than a flywheel and clutch.

One thing does worry me, everyone says the manual is very agricultural. The one I have put in my car feels very smooth, on the limited miles I have done on it. I did however change all the bushes, bolts and pins on the exterior mechanism as it was apparent that anything other than perfect alignment would be magnified considerably and cause shifting issues. I may make these items a 12/18 month service item, from now on.

Ultimately choice of box is down to personal preferences. Don't be put off by what others say. You need to drive as as many as you can, then make your choice.

Silly question but how does the 5-speed compare to the 6-speed feel wise?

Also, I've read that the 5-speed box cannot handle the amount of power that the getrag does but would it be reliable enough for a NA-TT bpu conversion.

From what ive seen it will handle bpu... But not much more. Seen a couple on here have broken with bpu. but seems to last for a while.

im no expert but i prefered the feel of my 5 speed to the 6 speed when i tried them. They were both NA

what am i doing wrong.. 2k rpm, brakes holding the power, take foot off brake and plant your right foot....... take off the line with the last bit of rubber holding the traction but without wheelspin

your sounding like one of those, yeah its all skill guys now!!!! Its not hard and its not rocket science. Its probably harder to get wrong than it is get "right"

I don't know Matt - I've never had the pleasure of seeing you go up the strip. Do you warm your tyres up? Why do you use 2k RPM? Have you done any testing to find out if your tyres grip better at a different RPM?

Oh, and you're.

Well I've had an N/A auto an N/A manual. A BPU+ TT auto, an aristo 6 speed and a single turbo aristo auto. The N/A auto was a nice drive and fairly lazy when driven in auto mode. On the track however it proved quite very quick in my hands. At the point I put that car around silverstone I wasn't experienced enough to drive a car fast around a circuit and change gears but the auto box in manu mode did all the work for me especially on down changes as you can pre-select the gear before you get to the corner and it won't change down until its safe for the engine to do so.

The N/A manual was a bit of a dog of a vehicle with problems but it felt alot more lively and more like a car you could thrash a bit. I never put that car on a track but I suspect by the time I owned that car I would have eeked a better lap time out of that car than my auto.

The auto TT I had was so bloody fast that for the entire time I had it I suspect that I didn't have enough skill or ability to drive that car fast and change the gears myself. It changed down so quickly when WOT'd from cruising. It certainly whalloped along changing gears when required alot faster and more precise than I ever would have. Manu mode was the same again on the track very very useful.

The aristo TT 6 speed I had drove a bit like a supra does but was tail happy due to the kazz 2 way lsd in it. I found the clutch a pita and the change a bit on the heavy side. I personally found my gear changes very slow in it and I had to think too much about which of the six gears I was in.

The aristo single turbo I now have I wish was not auto. The nature of the big turbo means that the gears are simply too long at slower road speeds to consistently allow adequate use of the cars power especially second gear. First gear is too short and goes in a blip of wheelspinning popping and rev limiter hitting and then second just keeps going forever, all the way to 85 mph in fact which is useless on a track like zandvoort but OK on a track like castle donington. In a nutshell if the majority of the corners you expect to take are 55-85 mph corners then you'll have a whale of a time in a single tubby auto.