The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The next stage in the saga!

Matt H

Little bit optimistic mate ;) The oil cooler hose to the transmission looked like this :eek:

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/319/p7022327smallbn2.jpg

So that's what the fluid was on the trailer. The way it was fitted meant that it rubbed on a metal bracket and wore through the hose.

Put some atf in the gearbox and we do now have drive to the rear wheels, BUT when in drive and with the wheels off the floor, it won't rev past about 1500-1800rpms - it revs fine in neutral.

There's a bit of a leak from the gearbox so at this point I'm inclined to have the gearbox out so we can check this and the torque converter.

jumped the gun on that one then! umm, hope its not serious. I've had a PM from a member offering me a gearbox (Robert) so if worse comes to worse.

Cheers mate

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

UPDATE@ Matt has confirmed the transmition has been fixed! just a split oil pipe and leaked oil. New pipe fitted and fresh oil = power to the wheels :D

one down!

Cheers Matt - good work

I see that spell checker is working just fine Matt. ;)

jumped the gun on that one then! umm, hope its not serious. I've had a PM from a member offering me a gearbox (Robert) so if worse comes to worse.

Cheers mate

That's good to know, bit more testing to do but hopefully it's not the gearbox.

The misfire may well be due to only two coilpack clips being on the car, the rest are pushed in and one is a normal red crimp. Will order 6 coil pack clips asap.

Will also have to order a bonnet release cable, but otherwise we're getting there :)

Need to get it off the ramp shortly though as I'm just off to collect some parts for another members car, but I'm reasonably happy with how it's going :) Still got wiring to tidy up, gauges to wire in etc.

Who put the EGT sensor in Matt ?

Good to see it coming hope & hope all sorted out within next couple of weeks as Matt is booked in for the Ace Cafe Supra only Mega meet Tuesday 22nd July nice for it to be there keep up the good work Matt

Good to see it coming hope & hope all sorted out within next couple of weeks as Matt is booked in for the Ace Cafe Supra only Mega meet Tuesday 22nd July nice for it to be there keep up the good work Matt

No pressure then! ;)

Well I do hope AFR can sort the car out soon enough for you Matt :)

Will also have to order a bonnet release cable, but otherwise we're getting there :)

That was in the boot with the bonnet catches mate :search: i'm sure of it.... can you have another look as i bought the catches and cable together. I'll have a look in my garage but i'm 99.99% sure they were the first things along with the catches that i put in there

Who put the EGT sensor in Matt ?

Hyper mate. Is it alright? I watched them do, actually seemed like a good job and it worked fine as, but then again! lol

Cheers mate.. well if everything is just a simple fix then no reason why not :)

No pressure then! ;)

Well I do hope AFR can sort the car out soon enough for you Matt :)

Cheers mate ;)

Not the first or last nasty gash that Matt will see in his car!! - sorry!! :innocent:

:rlol: - only the finest gash gets admission mate!! :D

That was in the boot with the bonnet catches mate :search: i'm sure of it....

It was, but the plastic part at the end is broken, difficult to describe but we fed the cable through from the car and where it enters the plastic box it's broken. The bonnet catches are in but we just need an unbroken cable to pull the latch ;)

Hyper mate. Is it alright? I watched them do, actually seemed like a good job and it worked fine as, but then again! lol

Yeah fitting looks okay, just not sure that the bottom of the downpipe is the most effective place to measure EGTs :)

It's about 1 bar mate as you can hit fuel cut on a UK with both cats out and a sports exhaust, mine and bignums were the same.

I've actually hit 1.05 bar with a FCD fitted and running the car up to the UK limiter :innocent:

0.91 bar (max) for my UK auto, with FCD and D-Decat and exhaust. Nothing more even with very cool external air temps.

It was, but the plastic part at the end is broken, difficult to describe but we fed the cable through from the car and where it enters the plastic box it's broken. The bonnet catches are in but we just need an unbroken cable to pull the latch ;)

Ah i see, o.k then, new cable it is :)

Yeah fitting looks okay, just not sure that the bottom of the downpipe is the most effective place to measure EGTs :)

Where would they be best installed? If we move it to the best location are we going to have a hole remaining in the down pipe or can we do something about that?

Cheers mate

:rlol:

Chocolate tea pot springs to mind :)

p.s you finished with that com link chap?

I was being subtle :D

Yeah I can post it back to you, will be ordering one :)

We can fit the sensor in a somewhat better location and bung the old hole.

I was being subtle :D

Yeah I can post it back to you, will be ordering one :)

We can fit the sensor in a somewhat better location and bung the old hole.

Cool,

Right well i'm off to the airport in a few hours :ecstatic: so i'll give you a quick call before i go to make sure everything is in hand and i look forward to a completed car for when i get back :inoccent:

Should be able to recieve texts while i'm abroad but i'll give you my mates number just incase later so you can contact me over anything urgent.

Get back on the 13th ;)

Oh my word, is there no end to the shiteness? May as well have put it in the glove box. What was the full google-bot accessible name and address of this place again?

-Ian

interesting as mine does not work very good and thats near the turbo:(

theres 2 lines of thought on this. First one is to plumb it in right in the runners pre-turbo. You will get the best and most accurate reading there.

The second is to put it as close to post-turbo as possible. Not so accurate but safer if you dont keep the car in tip top condition.

The reason I say that is that the EGT probes have been known to fail. If they are pre-turbo they go through the turbos and take the turbo with them.

It has been said before that the EGT probe is a consumable item and should be replaced every year as a precaution. Quite how many would do that I wouldnt want to say.

The chances of the EGT probe disintigrating is small, but it can and has happened to members on the forum and at least 1 lost the turbo because of it.

I personally would put it post turbo, but the true techies will flame me to death for that and say pre-turbo and take your chances.

So that hasnt helped you at all Im sure.

Paid a visit to AFR today Matt H. Your cars in bits. :D

Matt (AFR) pointed out some of the troubles mentioned previously. :blink:

Spoke to Matt for a while and I think your faith and car is well placed. You'll be chuffed when you get her back bud. :)

Saw 2jg's car there. Hiya Jeff. Bumped into Supradibbs, nice meeting you Wayne.

Topped off with a trip in this. :eyebrows:

Note to self, do not go in anymore singled cars.

Many thanks Matt. :)

Muffleman.jpg

Very useful thank you. In order to tap the pipe post turbo do you need to remove it or is it possible to do with it on the car?

I suppose I can answer my own question as you would want to clean up the pipe on the inside after tapping it!?

theres 2 lines of thought on this. First one is to plumb it in right in the runners pre-turbo. You will get the best and most accurate reading there.

The second is to put it as close to post-turbo as possible. Not so accurate but safer if you dont keep the car in tip top condition.

The reason I say that is that the EGT probes have been known to fail. If they are pre-turbo they go through the turbos and take the turbo with them.

It has been said before that the EGT probe is a consumable item and should be replaced every year as a precaution. Quite how many would do that I wouldnt want to say.

The chances of the EGT probe disintigrating is small, but it can and has happened to members on the forum and at least 1 lost the turbo because of it.

I personally would put it post turbo, but the true techies will flame me to death for that and say pre-turbo and take your chances.

So that hasnt helped you at all Im sure.