The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Airbox noise (this thread means it's time to sell up)

Benyon

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked a simple question that should have got a simple answer, On migweb which is vauxhall's best forum they say to do this as a cheap mod to get a better sound without losing the hp you would with a normal induction kit. As for these "funny" comments if your trying to offend me you will need to try alot harder. Sounds like a very good forum this you put up a question which requires a short simple answer, then you get people trying to make offence over the internet "the place you can call people and get away with it".

Go post up on migweb then where they find that acceptable...

As far as trying to offend you, I can tell you this much, there are many people I would rather offend than you...

I asked a simple question that should have got a simple answer, On migweb which is vauxhall's best forum they say to do this as a cheap mod to get a better sound without losing the hp you would with a normal induction kit. As for these "funny" comments if your trying to offend me you will need to try alot harder. Sounds like a very good forum this you put up a question which requires a short simple answer, then you get people trying to make offence over the internet "the place you can call people and get away with it".

A lot of people on vauxhall forums are boyracers putting tights over their airboxes. I was that age not so long ago and i tried all the tricks. I did the airbox thing with my vectra too.

Simple fact is we are supra enthusiasts. We care about the cars and in some cases are very defensive of the purity of it. Answer this question honestly..

If you bought a ferrari, would you be on the ferrari forum asking if it was a good idea to bore holes in the airbox?

Its stages of growing up and maturing (through car buying not age). The Nova's, Vectra's (when bought by certain people), Saxo's etc etc are the halfords drive through brand. Supra's are on a whole different level, ok nowhere near Ferrari but you can't get a set of chrome hubcaps for a supra either ;)

Im not getting uptight but i think its out of order for people to be making comments not reguarding my question. Also not everyone has money to waste spending £300+ on an induction kit.

If you are drilling holes in the airbox, you wasted money buying the car.....

It was a stupid question, end of! *unsubscribed*

Im not getting uptight but i think its out of order for people to be making comments not reguarding my question. Also not everyone has money to waste spending £300+ on an induction kit.

If you think it's a waste of money getting decent kit then a Supra isn't for you.

If i had ferrari i wouldnt be wanting more noise as it would be there, You cant just say supra's are on a hole new level, ive had vauxhall's be more reliable then my supra. Im not saying they are shite built. And yes im 23 and have been driving since 17 i have owned my supra for just over 2 months and i have been reading up as much as i can on them so im not reposting (because that would cause problems on here too). Anyways if i had already seen a post saying not to do this mod then i wouldnt have asked it in the first place.

Ok so spending £300 on a n/a auto is a good idea then yeh ok.

Says it all!!!! Congratulations you are the first person on my ignore list.

Take the airbox and all the associated piping off including the intake plenum, get a pair of tights and just put them over the runners... PURE engine noise!

Ok so spending £300 on a n/a auto is a good idea then yeh ok.

Its not £300 + for an induction kit mate. If my memory is right i think you can get an Apexi on for about £130.00 new and its regarded as one of the best induction kits (If you want to go this way). Just keep well clear of the HKS ones.

Edit: Man im good ;) £130.00 http://www.envyperformance.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1051

How about drilling holes in the firewall and routing the exhaust into them?

Would that increase the noise into the cabin?

Note: If you do this be careful you don't drill through anything important.

Note 2: You might want to keep the windows open.

Im not drilling holes i was asking about it.

I had to get a new top section of my airbox as one of the top clips/pivots had snapped off and it was only £15.

So i say do as YOU wish and if YOU are not happy with the result of adapting the YOUR airbox then you can just replace it.

So basically as long as the holes are just in this top section (the bit you removed to change the panel filter) it will mean no unfiltered air enters the engine and its easily replaceable.

Im not drilling holes i was asking about it.

Hi mate, you are not ever going to win these 'discussions' so let it go would be my advise, they just become a magnet for posters to have a go at being funny (me included :p)

At the end of the day its your car and you do with it what you like end of....... but and there is a but, if you come on here asking advise on a modification that involves in your case something as crude as drilling holes in the stock air box you will catch a bit of stick, this should just be taken on board and you should move on to the next question, dont fight it, there is no point and you will only end up getting wound up buy the banter

I would look in the for sale section as induction kits come up all the time, and you will find £100 will get you a mint second hand kit for the NA, job done :)

Hi mate, you are not ever going to win these 'discussions' so let it go would be my advise, they just become a magnet for posters to have a go at being funny (me included :p)

At the end of the day its your car and you do with it what you like end of....... but and there is a but, if you come on here asking advise on a modification that involves in your case something as crude as drilling holes in the stock air box you will catch a bit of stick, this should just be taken on board and you should move on to the next question, dont fight it, there is no point and you will only end up getting wound up but the banter

I would look in the for sale section as induction kits come up all the time, and you will find £100 will get you a mint second hand kit for the NA, job done :)

:yeahthat:

A very professional response from you Dean :D

:yeahthat:

A very professional response from you Dean :D

:D

I just watch new members get their pride hurt sometimes when they get something wrong and the banter ends up driving them away before they have their feet under the table, we must have lost some good people from the club this way, not all take the advice on board however so we shall see :)

Also not everyone has money to waste spending £300+ on an induction kit.

You can buy a good quality induction kit for the NA (Apexi & Power Enterprise both do kits) for around £118 delivered, PM me if you'd like more details.

If you want more engine noise, you could always remove the insulation blanket from the bonnet.

How about drilling holes in the firewall and routing the exhaust into them?

Would that increase the noise into the cabin?

Note: If you do this be careful you don't drill through anything important.

Note 2: You might want to keep the windows open.

:lol:

Okay, if I'm honest, I've been a brutal these last few days, but it is because we seem to be getting a lot of silly posts asking questions, and then when an answer is provided it is then countered with an equally profound statement and so it goes on.

Lets be honest, this was originally in tech when it all started, and drilling holes into an airbox shouldn't be in tech.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.