mkivSupra.net Track Day - 4th October

SteveR

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quick question: How are the 3 groups to be decided? I think I read something about it being 'according to experience and power', and there can be 3 groupings within power (na, tt, single) and 3 groupings within experience (none, some, lots).

So how can you get 3 groups if there are 9 possibilities? What if you have an inexperienced driver in a powerful car? And vice versa etc

Please explain for a simpleton like me THX

there are more than that.

it isnt just supras:D

I think SteveR is setting the groups using his best guess to get a similar speed, although I am sure he will be on soon to expand on this. The groupings are only in effect for the first session, where we get lead out by a track car to build speed up slowly. After that, it's open pit-lane for the rest of the day, so you go out whenever you want to.

Says a bit on this in his first post under draft schedule.

The track is open long enough for everyone to get plenty of track time.

I tend to find I do the following:

Session 1 - Building speed up, getting used to corners, still quite slow

Session 2 - Getting faster, throwing it into corners a bit

Session 3 - This is where I go too fast and scare myself :blink:

Session 4 onwards - good fast driving :)

Really looking forward to it now, whatever the weather does, it's going to be a great day :D

what time should we set our alarms for sat morning for convoy from travellodge?

It's about ~5 miles away, so I'll be leaving at about 8:15~8:20. I NEED to be first there (as I've got the list!), so if anyone gets there before me please hang fire outside the cafe until I arrive. :)

...So how can you get 3 groups if there are 9 possibilities? What if you have an inexperienced driver in a powerful car? And vice versa etc

Don't forget the groups are only for the initial familiarisation sessions, atfer those are through it's open pit lane,

Now, to decide the groups, I've taken a judgment based on a combination of experience and power (actually, a driver's likely pace) to decide the groups. I'll not announce them till aturday monring though as things keep changing!

I think SteveR is setting the groups using his best guess to get a similar speed, although I am sure he will be on soon to expand on this. The groupings are only in effect for the first session, where we get lead out by a track car to build speed up slowly. After that, it's open pit-lane for the rest of the day, so you go out whenever you want to.

Doh, Gavin beat me to it :yeahthat: :D

Good advice about building up speed gradually. The initial sessions (led by a pace car controlling everyone's speed) won't see much speed, they are mainly there so you can learn the way round. :thumbs:

And the barrier / tyre wall :)

:) ...............what does everyone make of the little kink/chicane (before the big sweeping right hander to the pit straight), to me it looks like a dodgy spot in the wet........in the videos on page 1 of this thread it looks like barely a lift, but the high approach speed, curbs and what looks like a necessary (admittedly slight) right-left-right steering input..........makes me think it'll be prudent to be extra cautious here.

ok chaps, I'm going to have to call time on any further lineup changes I'm afraid.

I'll be at work in 30 mins and from there I will nip home, do some last minute tweaks to my Supra and then depart for the Travelodge so I simply won't have the opportunity to deal with any more alterations.

Apologies to anyone wanting to jump in last minute. If you're particularly gutted then CALL me (number is in the info pack attached to post 2) and I'll see if I can help, but I'm making zero promises. You could risk turning up at the track, £70 in hand, but again no promises.

To everyone going - you end up with more potential track time and/or a quieter track as a result.

See you soon! :cool:

(Oh and if anyone else DOES drop out, please can you call me to let me know. Fingers crossed no-one will!)

:) ...............what does everyone make of the little kink/chicane (before the big sweeping right hander to the pit straight), to me it looks like a dodgy spot in the wet........in the videos on page 1 of this thread it looks like barely a lift, but the high approach speed, curbs and what looks like a necessary (admittedly slight) right-left-right steering input..........makes me think it'll be prudent to be extra cautious here.

The best way is going straight through this, it's just to scrub a bit of speed off before the right hander, as people use to lose it there going too fast.

Talking of best ways I am indecisive as to whether to hit the M54, M6, then M5, then M4 from near Shrewsbury (SY13 2BT), or follow the A49 through mid Wales, bearing in mind I will be driving a sluggish 7.5 ton box van... Motorways are a longer way round, but possibly faster? It'll be a 4.00 AM start so won't be much traffic, hopefully. Any opinions? Cheers.

I'll bring some fast road pads for UK and J-Spec calipers, so if anyone needs pads I will have a set of each. Can also bring excellent used AP six pot pads if required?