JDL kit gone crazy

richard cash

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi guys, thanks for comments.

Anyway, pics will follow this week but for a quick update:

rear drivers arch if foamed, shaped, glassed and filled. The shape is all there, but it needs a skim of "dolphin glaze", my prefered self leveling filler. This should take out the waves as obviously this is a large area to fill. Rear bumper is glassed and filler will be going on this weekend, and passenger arch is shaped and ready for glassing. Between materials (foam,glass and filler) I have left for 2days each to set as to reduce sinkage and once final putty has gone on i will leave one week to harden before priming. The arches have turned out quite similar to the Top secret ones not, and the back looks very good IMO but still have much more work yet. I wont be happy until its as flat as i know i can get it as wavey panels absolutly do my head in!!

oh and to let everyone know, without fibreglass and filler the arches were still strong enough to stand on (photo evidence:tongue:)

and a bit of background about me: I have been a paint sprayer/body repairer for about 3 yrs now but am still learning every day. I never went to college to learn this stuff, but self taught while i was at uni (couldnt afford to pay someone else). It sort of developed from there and ive been doing it as a job ever since. Well, at least until my navy commission comes in :D

Ive done a few wide arch kits this way, and boot installs. Its very good stuff and as i get the foam free its a good cost effective way of doing it. I have sprayed probably about 10 full modified cars now (not many i know but my work is normally crash damaged repair stuff) but with this supra i am going for the extra 10% in terms of quality and finish.

anyway, as soon as pics are available ill post up. Sorry for the lengthy gaps between pics, but atm in the evenings im jugling between doing the supra and a '72 carrera RS restoration project so im flat out atm.

Good on you mate, you sound to me like you have the right idea, your methods seem sound, (and i do have bodywork experience;)) i would be interested to see some pics even at this stage, take no notice of all the negative comments, half of them couldn't do bodywork if their life depended on it:eyebrows:

keep it up, it may not be to everyones taste but if you enjoy the finished result then thats all that counts:)

lol do i hear a touch of silence all of a sudden? :rolleyes:

good luck mate, cant wait to see pics :)

by the way, im sitting on the fence on this one, could go either way so untill i see a pic i wont decide, but from what the guys said, he has more of an idea about this kinda stuff than i do...