The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bespoke IHI / Apexi "Big Twins" turbo kit

michael

Somewhere on the web there is footage of this set-up being used...

Still trying to track that one down, would love to see the car in action.

Micheal - worry not. With the supporting mods this set-up was rated at 900ps - the guy who built the car, an almost 'legendary' tuner in the GTR world, took these turbos, normally reserved for the GTR, and made an exceptionally quick machine.

This is what annoys me, I've seen Zenitani Skylines in the UK, a friend had one and the attention to detail was something else - you know that if he picked these turbos he did so because they were the ones that would produce the goods, apparently they did. The kit need a wipe over, a lick of high-temp paint and a polish before fitting but it's not as if I'm trying to sell them for £3k so I thought I'd show them "as is".

I genuinely want someone to buy these because I want to see them being used in anger (and get very jealous), the money almost comes second to that.

Spidermonkey - the new Skyline uses IHI stuff too (as do many other quick machines), that's a bit poo by all accounts as well :D

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to say, that's a very unfair and uneducated post over on Club Aristo about this turbo kit. To me it looks like an excellent opportunity to buy a unique setup that should yield excellent results both in the outright power and response stakes.... I'm tempted myself especially at your bargain price Michael but unfortunately am not quite in a position to splash more cash on my Supra.

Cheers,

Brian.

Iam sure IHI turbo's are used on poker turbo's and scobby doo's, i dont think there is anything wrong with the kit at all, i would imagine it will spool as quick as a t78 turbo . It's all down to the supporting mods and tune. Have a look at the new SP twin kit, it uses 2 * .81ar SP67 turbo's , and it gets full spool at 4500rpm.

Good luck on the sale Michael , strange how people would comment on things which they dont really know much about, i had a chap telling me that a SP/BL 67 turbo .81ar was to laggy for his 6sp car and did not produce the power he wanted 800hp !!! so someone has told him to buy a GT35R .82 AR and turn the boost to 2.5bar !!!!. guess he does not know how to work out the compressor map rating for his car.... well i look forward to seeing his turbo over heat and blades go into his engine ...

p.s this was recommended by a well known trader on here .... shame there cars never work right .....;)

Good luck on the sale Michael , strange how people would comment on things which they dont really know much about, i had a chap telling me that a SP/BL 67 turbo .81ar was to laggy for his 6sp car and did not produce the power he wanted 800hp !!! so someone has told him to buy a GT35R .82 AR and turn the boost to 2.5bar !!!!. guess he does not know how to work out the compressor map rating for his car.... well i look forward to seeing his turbo over heat and blades go into his engine ...

p.s this was recommended by a well known trader on here .... shame there cars never work right .....;)

Oh really, do tell :)

Are you buying it back?

Good to know :)

Maybe try an ad on Supraforums?

I was thinking about it but with the weight of them it'll be very expensive to ship out there - worth a try though I guess if the buyer is willing to pay.

I'd just like to be able to see them fitted over he so I can visit them and see what I'm missing I suppose :)

IHI are one of the largest companies in Japan and a global leader in turbochargers (and masses of industrial applications) so the IHI thing is funny :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishikawajima-Harima_Heavy_Industries

Even funnier when you see the aeromotive connections they have ;)

So Gaz... these would go nicely on a customer car I reckon, get them sold for me please.

• 2 weeks later...
I am still very tempted... but wary as I have never been out in a single! Anyone want to take me out at Japfest? :)

The single turbo will be much more aggresive, you need to go out in a car with big twins to get an idea of what they will be like. Much smoother power delivery and more chance of traction ;)

Twins dont just look good, there is a reason for them. :)

The single turbo will be much more aggresive, you need to go out in a car with big twins to get an idea of what they will be like. Much smoother power delivery and more chance of traction ;)

Twins dont just look good, there is a reason for them. :)

You mean smoother as in slower "more progressive" spool, yet more potential peak power?

Your comments are a little misleading and you're playing on words for those that don't understand what this (very well priced) kit can offer.

Am I right in thinking that big twins will act like a single great big turbo? Assuming there's no cunning sequential thing going on here...

Pretty much, yes. Small(ish) twins more or less act like a large size single (Technicalities aside ;) ), but with greater potential for very high output with a decent exhaust & wastegate setup (as this one has).

The setup here should be capable of very high output. The downside is they weigh more.

You mean smoother as in slower "more progressive" spool, yet more potential peak power?

Your comments are a little misleading and you're playing on words for those that don't understand what this (very well priced) kit can offer.

Yes thats right "more progressive spool" I said smoother because I thought that would be easier to grasp. :)

Not necessarily more peak power, twins will start to spool earlier but reach max boost later hence the smoother power del.

Having twins myself I am fully aware of the benifits to this and love the drivability they give. I have been out in many single cars and traction can be an issue at the same power level (Chingy ;))

As I was trying to say in my first post If you want to know how this kit will perform go out in a car with twins you wont be dissapointed ;) if I get my wheels in time I will be at japfest and will happily take you for a spin.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.