The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA to TT engine transplant - step by step guide (Pic heavy)

miko_supra

fuse box connector

-the upper black connector, which goes into the fuse box needs swapping with the one from the n/a engine to the one from the tt engine.

-this is because they are different. i have drawn a lovely diagram on paint to try and explain this as the photo i took came out all blurry. but basically 3 of the wires from the tt loom go into the old n/a connector (only 3 terminals) and you are left with a blue one. which on mine was wrapped up in insulation tape and then tucked into the loom. the picture shows the clip side of the connector facing you and the wire colours are [black + red] [yellow] [black (also thicker than the others)]

attachment.php?attachmentid=125777&stc=1&d=1295561975

image-AF4A_4B7BDCF1.jpg

Edited by miko_supra (see edit history)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i also found out today that if you have a auto loom and a manual fuse box, the starter reelay is different. i tried to turn mine over and it didnt work from the key.

i had to get a wire from the starter to the + and start it that way....

i checked the wire and there was no current from it on crank, traced it back and it goes to the fusebox...its the fat black wire on the plug that needs to be changed over...as in your diagram above (miko)

cant figure it out why?

i also noticed that the relay the black wire goes to says ST on mine (dark grey relay 5 speed manual car) but my loom from the engine was an auto one and also i checked on my other na auto and it has a different relay there...a purple one with starter on it.

so i need to try and figure out tomorrow the difference with them and see how i can get it to work....any help appreciated...:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
fuse box connector

-the upper black connector, which goes into the fuse box needs swapping with the one from the n/a engine to the one from the tt engine.

-this is because they are different. i have drawn a lovely diagram on paint to try and explain this as the photo i took came out all blurry. but basically 3 of the wires from the tt loom go into the old n/a connector (only 3 terminals) and you are left with a blue one. which on mine was wrapped up in insulation tape and then tucked into the loom. the picture shows the clip side of the connector facing you and the wire colours are [black + red] [yellow] [black (also thicker than the others)]

http://xs323.xs.to/xs323/08013/111fuseboxconnector.JPG

Little addition here, something we came across whilst transplanting a pre-facelift TT and loom into a facelift NA.

The TT plug is a 5 pin plug with the NA plug being 3 pin. Basically, there is a large Black with Red stripe wire that goes to pin 1 as above. But you may well have an additional Black with Red stripe wire of smaller gauge than the previous one. This needs to be soldered into the larger Black with Red stripe wire.

Thanks again to Jezzy for this :)

• 4 months later...

stunning read. Very good write up. Homer or any other mods, would it be possible to get some of the pictures reuploaded?

I notice some of the latter ones no longer appear. I am v.tempted to have a go at this. Afterall, if I fail whifbitz is only round the corner :D

stunning read. Very good write up. Homer or any other mods, would it be possible to get some of the pictures reuploaded?

I notice some of the latter ones no longer appear. I am v.tempted to have a go at this. Afterall, if I fail whifbitz is only round the corner :D

Give it a go mate, Its not hard if you know the basics :)

The pics are okay for me, it just takes a long time to load the page as they're full images. Try right clicking on any missing images and choosing 'show pic'

If it doesn't work I'll get in contact with Miko to see if he can supply the originals to load to the forum.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...