The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New Diesel & Petrol Vehicles To Be Banned From 2040 In The UK

Frank Bullitt

New diesel and petrol cars and vans will be banned in the UK from 2040 in a bid to tackle air pollution, the government is set to announce.

Ministers are to unveil a £255m fund to help councils introduce steps to deal with pollution from diesel vehicles as part of £3bn spending on air quality. The government will publish a court-mandated clean air strategy later, days before a High Court deadline. Campaigners said the measures were promising, but more detail was needed.

The government was ordered by the courts to produce new plans to tackle illegal levels of harmful pollutant nitrogen dioxide. It came after the courts agreed with environmental campaigners that previous plans were insufficient to meet EU pollution limits.

Retrofitting Buses

Ministers had to set out their draft clean air strategy plans in May with the final measures due by 31 July.

Local measures could include retrofitting buses and other transport to make them cleaner, changing road layouts, altering features such as speed humps and re-programming traffic lights to make vehicle-flow smoother. Campaigners want government-funded and mandated clean air zones, with charges for the most-polluting vehicles to enter areas with high air pollution, included in the plans, as well as a diesel scrappage scheme.

But ministers have been wary of being seen to "punish" drivers of diesel cars, who, it argues, bought the vehicles in good faith after being encouraged to by the last Labour government on the basis they produced lower carbon emissions.

The UK announcement comes amid signs of an accelerating shift towards electric cars instead of petrol and diesel ones both here and abroad: Earlier this month,

- President Emmanuel Macron announced similar plans to phase out diesel and petrol cars in France, also from 2040.

- BMW announced on Tuesday that a fully electric version of the Mini will be built at the Cowley plant in Oxford from 2019.

- Swedish carmaker Volvo has said all new models will have an electric motor from the same year.

Analysis

The government's plans will not contain a vehicle scrappage scheme. And it won't mandate councils to charge dirty vehicles to enter cities.

Compulsory clean air charging zones were identified by the government's own experts as the best way to tackle pollution. And the decision not to include them in the policy leaves the government in breach of a court order to produce a comprehensive clean air strategy by the end of this month.

Ministers argue that it is better to have a scheme for tackling the worst pollution hotspots rather than rushing out a botched comprehensive strategy. But clean air campaigners will accuse the government of failing to obey the court yet again, having already lost a case on this issue in April.

ClientEarth, the legal group which brought that case, previously warned it would consider going back to court if the government failed to meet its legal obligations to ensure clean air for people to breathe. Air pollution is thought to be linked to about 40,000 premature deaths a year in the UK, and transport also contributes to greenhouse gas emissions.

A government spokesman said poor air quality was "the biggest environmental risk" to public health in the UK."This government is determined to take strong action in the shortest time possible," he said.

Emissions Hotspots

"Our plan to deal with dirty diesels will help councils clean up emissions hotspots - often a single road - through common sense measures which do not unfairly penalise ordinary working people.

Environmental law firm ClientEarth welcomed the measures, but said it wanted to see more detail.

Its chief executive James Thornton said: "A clear policy to move people towards cleaner vehicles by banning the sale of petrol and diesel cars and vans after 2040 is welcome, as is more funding for local authorities.

"However, the law says ministers must bring down illegal levels of air pollution as soon as possible, so any measures announced in this plan must be focused on doing that."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 2040 I don't think you will own cars anyway. You will rent them when you need them like boris bikes.

They'll also probably be autonomous so call it on your app and it will turn up at your door. Different sizes for each occasion, all can charge in a central pool when not in use so you don't have to wait an hour for it to recharge half way through a journey.

Couple of things, not a fan of electric cars (at the moment) as this where it will probably go, maybe even fuel cell cars. However in 2040 I would hope that cost of electric cars comes down and the range achieved in one single charge will not be pathetic like it is now. If the cost was not stupid and the range was same as I get from my diesel Volvo, I would happily move over to electric, oh and if it had some poke in it too. Or will it be

Secondly, some of us might be dead by then, so who cares?

Couple of things, not a fan of electric cars (at the moment) as this where it will probably go, maybe even fuel cell cars. However in 2040 I would hope that cost of electric cars comes down and the range achieved in one single charge will not be pathetic like it is now. If the cost was not stupid and the range was same as I get from my diesel Volvo, I would happily move over to electric, oh and if it had some poke in it too. Or will it be

You've obviously not been in a Tesla model S

You've obviously not been in a Tesla model S

Yes, and the few I have been in and driven were ok. But again range, not great and expense it stupid expensive. There are a few exec's at my current client that have them, and getting 200 miles between charges, that's not great.

So again, until range goes up and price comes down.

Electric cars are already getting 300-400 miles on a full charge, more than some fuel cars get.

However, the charge times are absurd.

And one issue I want to see discussed which many seem to forget, is who is going to pay for the electric?

And what is going to charge all these electric cars?

Worth considering with all these electric cars bobbling around is that to get them recharged they have to plug into the grid. Now as far as I can remember from my school days, electricity doesn't just happen by clapping your hands but needs to be made in a large electric factory that creates a substantial amount on pollution in the process and uses either black rocks or black gooey stuff from the ground. What effect will us all having leccy cars have on the power grid and the huge increase in pollution from power stations? Unless we're all going to have to go solar or use the power generated by bullsh1tt1ng politicians and other such w@nkwits.

Worth considering with all these electric cars bobbling around is that to get them recharged they have to plug into the grid. Now as far as I can remember from my school days, electricity doesn't just happen by clapping your hands but needs to be made in a large electric factory that creates a substantial amount on pollution in the process and uses either black rocks or black gooey stuff from the ground. What effect will us all having leccy cars have on the power grid and the huge increase in pollution from power stations? Unless we're all going to have to go solar or use the power generated by bullsh1tt1ng politicians and other such w@nkwits.

This. Absolutely insane to think electric cars are the end solution. What about the pollution from the production of these cars not to mention the increased pollution from power plants and increased demand on the grid.

Also anyone else think the next supra will guaranteed be electric now? Or the name will now die with the mk4

From what I've read, farting cows create more harmful pollution than all the cars combined on this blue/green blob do anyway, primarily due to large amounts of forest and woodland being decimated to allow more grazing four-stomached chewy freaks to fulfill our need for cheap fillet steak. Have a browse at Cowspiracy. After that you'll never worry about tanking up the Supra and driving at 150mph all day again!

This. Absolutely insane to think electric cars are the end solution. What about the pollution from the production of these cars not to mention the increased pollution from power plants and increased demand on the grid.

Agree, all I can see happening in the short term from this coming into effect is the used car market being propped up massively with everyone wanting to retain petrol or diesel (that is those outside of big cities where there will no doubt be massive charges). And UK car manufacturers being impacted heavily with lower new car sales. Also will no doubt heavily impact associated industries that manufacture components for engines etc.

I agree something needs to be done to combat pollution, but an outright ban isn't the answer.

Also unlike oil/petrol electricity cannot be stored in large quantities can it? So the system always has to run at an excess and use that excess to say pump water back up a hydro electric dam, so it's not wasted, but it's hardly efficient. It would be interesting for someone to calculate the energy expended daily by uk traffic and to equate that into an electricity demand and that as a percentage of the current electric demand. Also what range would an electric artic lorry have! what level of mining is required to get the materials for mass battery production.

I'm not anti anything, but the infrastructure changes to get this to happen are huge, unless some serious scientific breakthrough comes up with a plentiful energy source.

Electric cars do have some poke, Most electric cars can do 300 miles to a full charge and most motorway charge points can do fast charge will put your car back up to 70% in 20 min while you go for a toilet break

I also hear Volvo will not produce anymore petrol or diesel engines from 2020

My pal with the Tesla fitted solar panels to the roof of his house which he says covers all his households

electric use inc charging his Tesla and his wifes BMW i3

Does he have a mansion in the Sahara? Not to necessarily cast doubt on these claims (but I do think it's BS!) but if this was possible wouldn't everyone be doing this?

Can only go on what he's told me and he's not a bullshitter as far as i know

Solar panels work off light so as long as its clear then he makes his own electric, but after reading the below

it appears he will still make his own power even on crappy cloudy days

Worth a read

http://www.directenergysolar.com/blog/will-my-solar-panels-work-when-its-cloudy-or-rainy/