The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mini Movie Review

Scott

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the Jungle Book was excellent. Granted, no cars or boobs though.

I watched ARQ the other day. If you really have nothing to do for 90 minutes then it'll pass the time, otherwise I wouldn't bother. It's just riddled with annoyances for me. The idea is decent but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched Star Trek Beyond last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm really loving the reboot of these movies, they've captured so much of the essence of the original movies that it actually feels like a continuation at times.

You could pretty much write the script, it's action packed, cheesy, funny but most of all entertaining. I absolutely loved it :D

I'll definitely be watching it again, along with the other 2. Nice to have all the lens flares gone too!

Not seen the new Star Trek yet but really liked the first 2 - great films.

The Infiltrator is a great film - Cranston is superb - a must watch film.

Independence Day Resurgence however is beyond dire - another example of lazy, lazy film making, poor story, awful acting and a massive reliance on CGI. Enjoyed the first one but this one is awful. Don't bother.

• 3 weeks later...

Dr. Strange was disappointingly underwhelming. Total waste of Mads Mikkelsen in the antagonist role. Performances were solid, but all the characters felt incredibly generic and forced, plus there was nothing original or particularly interesting added by the film.

I couldn't help thinking this was just one of Dr. Gregory House's opiate induced nightmares.

Worth seeing if you're a comic nut, but I wouldn't bother watching it again.

• 1 month later...

Recently watched Sully and have to say it's a really good film. If you like your plane thrillers or documentary type films then then is for you. Even then I'd recommend it because the acting is spot on.

Also saw doctor strange recently and thought it was quite good, although I do really enjoy my comic book films so may notbe be for everyone!

Went to see Rogue One last night and thought it was okay, nothing special. Force Awakens was much better IMO.

That Krennic guy was absolutely dreadful, just didn't get anything from him at all. Was cool seeing Darth Vader though (minus that cringey choke pun) and some of the characters were very well played. I feel it was just a bit.....Disney-fied

Another year to wait until the next one now :(

Went to see Rogue One last night and thought it was okay, nothing special. Force Awakens was much better IMO.

That Krennic guy was absolutely dreadful, just didn't get anything from him at all. Was cool seeing Darth Vader though (minus that cringey choke pun) and some of the characters were very well played. I feel it was just a bit.....Disney-fied

Another year to wait until the next one now :(

I left the cinema with the exact same feeling! Felt very disneyed! A bit like "We've run out of plotline because we haven't got the imagination of George Lucas so we'll make a Star Wars 3.5 and give them a bit of Darth Vader to keep us from being slammed by the critics as the most boring Star Wars EVER! (I almost fell asleep 3 times in the film!)

Saw rouge one today and I have to say it's a mess, start to finish. Only shows a slither of a structured film at the last 10-20 minutes.

Acting was poor at best.

Honestly seemed like a total money grab and not a Star Wars film at all. You could have slapped any name on it, removed the usual Star Wars symbols and it would have been "generic Sci fi adventure one"....

The cgi made the film look even weaker imo.

Definitely agree with what a lot of people are saying in terms of it being "disneyed"

Bored most of the film apart from that battle sequence at the end which was quite good and the Darth Vader scene but it's not enough to save this mess.

Seems like a lot of films now have no originality and are simple cash grabs.

Reminds me of the latest season of South Park with the member berries. "Member chewbacca?" Yea I do back when originality existed

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just watched the dark tower. Really enjoyed it. Great film, Idris nailed it.

I have to say do not use rotten tomatoes or junk papers like the guardian for reviews, these people don't know good movies.

Almost every film that's rated badly on rotten tomatoes and the guardian (self claimed critics) has good ratings on IMDB and google views (audience rated) and when I've gone to see these films they've been enjoyable.

• 2 months later...

To counter that, I've just watched the Justice league and it was just as awful as every other DC film there has been since Christopher Nolan left the helm. Jesus Christ the Justice League was awful. The film was completely incongruous, I suspect due to the extensive re-shoots that Joss Whedon had to do. Awful dialogue, awful villain, terrible plot, even worse CGI (LOL at Henry Cavill's digitally removed moustache). Unless you like explosions and lots of people jumping around, saying apparent jokes that fall flat, while the rest of the plot and character development is about as solid as mayonnaise, don't waste your time. I'm off to see Thor this weekend, which I've heard is much better. The only saving grace of the Justice League was Ezra Miller (the flash).

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Justice league. I've never seen such a cringeworthy film for a major studio in a long time. Oh no wait, it was wonder woman/suicide squad.

There was hardly any chemistry with any of the characters. Considering Man of Steel is one of my favourite films its taken a massive downward spiral with the last few (even BVS was OK.)

I've just seen the last Jedi. I have never been so utterly disappointed in a film in my entire life; not only has it killed my interest in the franchise, it has soured Return of the Jedi. I'm actually in a state of shock this morning at the utter trainwreck that I witnessed last night.

And here's me thinking it was pretty damn good :D

Once again, it was a bit Disney'd at stages which grinds my gears a bit (people who have seen it will know what I mean with a certain Leia bit). But I couldn't really fault the rest, been getting rave reviews from pretty much everyone across the board too. It kept me guessing at various stages throughout as it seemed like everything was on a knife edge. I'd go and see it again quite easily.

Little additional review as well for the Disaster Artist. I love Seth Rogen and the Franco brothers so thought this was going to be brilliant especially with how badly good the original film its based around, The Room, is. Turned out to be average at best, one to save for the sofa if it ever pops up on the TV really.

people who have seen it will know what I mean with a certain Leia bit.

You mean where she used the force in a situation that has pretty much happened to many force users in the cannon series?

Darth Maul used the force to stay alive after being chopped in half.

Many Jedi have used to the force to slow down their body and been able to accomplish many tasks at the same time.

I agree it was odd to show that in the film where most of the audience do not know anything else about what is cannon or not.