The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Considering going single and 6 speed

drift_bear

I'm considering with going down the single route and i've been looking at the whifbitz kits and was just wondering what would be the best to go for and what supporting mods would i need? im aiming for around 700-750bhp and also looking at going from auto to 6 speed.

http://whifbitzperformancetuning.co.uk/toyota-supra-supra-turbo-upgrades-turbo-kits-c-42_47_846_848.html

Edited by drift_bear (see edit history)

This is just by having a quick look while on the train lol but looking at the power figures the kit below will achieve the power you are after assuming you have the supporting mods:

http://whifbitzperformancetuning.co.uk/toyota-supra-supra-turbo-upgrades-turbo-kits-garage-whifbitz-p-6011.html?osCsid=ae0d0a0c823f88043e6d7032f299e8ee

I'd say PM Paul and ask for his opinion he will able to give much accurate figure to in terms of cost and supporting mods :)

I'm with Scott on this approx £15K for a well specified single build. The turbo kit alone is around £5K. I assume you would want a Syvecs so plan £2k without mapping for the ECU and uprated sensors.

Granted I have uprated the engine with rebuilt and uprated head, intake and throttle body, intercooler, fuel system etc... Mine will be around the 15-20k mark easily. It's all the little bits that cost the most.

I would say very close to 20k will be the better figure for a decent build with decent parts

This is the main point which all potential single-builders need to adhere too; i.e. the use of good kit and a reputable builder/tuner to achieve maximum reliability. I would hate to estimate just how many of our club members think that by slapping on a turbo and a manifold is all that is needed for pub-talk bhp figures.

Agree with the above.

If you want 750hp built properly and using all the proper bit you wont get any change out fo £20k, to be honest if your wanting to do a manual conversion that is usually £3-£3500 and then you will need a hefty twin plate clutch to handle that power.... £20k may not even be enough lol :)

BUT....if you can do it, you will LOVE it

If i didnt like the colour of mine so much and also the cost forked out on interior and suspension, then i would have bought a single which is done and running nice. I dont have the type of money spare like some members do and i have to work even bloody harder to save up. Im only aiming for +500bhp figures and im still approaching the £20k mark, This side of the supra tuning is £££££ but im sure ill forget about it all when i kick down for the first time and hear her scream....

The forum is also SOOOOOOOOO good for bargains, i got injectors and exhaust system at a nice price and also lots of other goodies. Hunt around for additional parts required, not everything needs to be brand new. BUT, i would buy the turbo kit brand new.

IMO I wouldn't pay for a single and 6 speed upgrade on any car. For 20k you could buy an OUTSTANDING 6spd single, that has cost the owner 40k to build. Let someone else go through the costly build process then take their car, time and money...

exactly mate! Pm me an offer Mr Bear.....lol jokes :D

If you want a reliable 700-750hp then you'll need the engine stripping and rebuilding with stronger internals, plus you'll need to upgrade all the ancillaries to support the power; fueling, cooling transmission, electronics, etc. etc. I'd guess at £20K minimum for a proper reliable install.

Going from auto to 6speed is going to cost a wedge let alone going to 750hp.

Could you not go single and stay with auto, then see if you could upgrade the transmission, and possibly increase the horses to a higher boost as required. if your running bpu would 500-600hp'ish not get the ball rolling and allow room for transmission upgrades.

OR just swap everything out thats required and be laughing all the way to the fuel station :)

I'm just trying to get a rough cost of going down that route its not 100% yet. I would like the satisfaction of "building" my own monster and not get one already done.

/QUOTE]

I searched allot before starting mine, you see some prices put up and think really I can do it for less than that and after having a look at the kit and clutch and fuel setup however the answer is no you can't once you start it’s a slippery slope money pit its always oh now I need this or,I might as well fit a new one of these while I am there. The joy though for me is trying to do as much as I can building it myself I think buying one pre-done would save money but maybe like you say its the satisfaction of doing it yourself , it certiantly cant be getting cold,dirty and cut hands and sounding like I have got tourettes most times I work on it :) .

When you say "building" are you planning on doing it yourself? , you will spend 20k with ease, more like 25k id say getting a well setup real 750bhp.

I would not advise anyone on going that way unlesss you plan to keep the car for ever.

Your correct mate. I wouldnt like to attempt to do a FULL build on one on my own, as there is alot to get wrong, im not ashamed to Send the car off to SRD for Lee to finish but the monwy for the build has crept up. I believe i have the best two companys working on my pride and joy- 2bartuning and SRD. enough said!

If your not going to keep the car in the long run then shop around for a ready done one. You will never see the single build money ever again!! Mine wont be worth what i have spent by the time its ready (even though there never ready/finished lol) but i just love the car to bits, its my hobby.

If I had the money to buy a big single 6 speed as others have already mentioned I'd buy one thats already built. The likes of Kevin Huntley, geo, Ricky, Add Heyward have all had their cars for sale and for what it would has cost to build them they were all for sale at a bargain price. I think you'd be better off buying one built that way you'd avoid the wait and wouldn't lose out when and if you decide to ever sell.