The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra buying advice! HELP!

Guest JDM

Hey all, im looking at buying a Supra soon and needed advice. Im looking at some NA ones on a manual tranny, but want to boost it later (to around 300 WHP) so just got a couple of questions:

1: What kind of power can the NA motor handle on stock internals?

2:What power can the tranny take with uprated clutch?

3: Finally how much will i be looking at for a decent boost? (including labour as im no mechanic)

Thanks

Why not just buy a TT in the first place ?

Its out of my budget matey, especially the manual ones and im not a fan of autos.

I think to convert an NA to being a turbo is going to end up costing you the same as buying

a tt in the first place.

I think you should try an auto tt before you dismiss them

Im not dismissing them, i know they are quicker than manual cuz they dont lose boost when switching gears but i rather be in control of the transmission, properly! lol.

My budget is around 4k for one and i probably buy a decent NA, im guessing for around 3k mark and just take my time with. If i can find tt motor later on then will just swap it, but right about now im not as rich as you guys! :(

Hey all, im looking at buying a Supra soon and needed advice. Im looking at some NA ones on a manual tranny, but want to boost it later (to around 300 WHP) so just got a couple of questions:

1: What kind of power can the NA motor handle on stock internals?

2:What power can the tranny take with uprated clutch?

3: Finally how much will i be looking at for a decent boost? (including labour as im no mechanic)

Thanks

I agree with the others about trying an auto TT, and that it'll cost more in the long run to use an NA as a stepping-stone. However, in answer to your questions:

1) Quite a lot AFAIK, probably 400bhp, maybe more. NA-T conversions (NA engine with an aftermarket single turbo fitted) are often quoted at around 400bhp or so. By "motor" I assume you mean the engine. At 400bhp, other parts of the drivetrain (e.g. 5 speed W58 gearbox) will probably let go.

2) The 5 speed W58 box will probably take about 300-350 ish bhp. Much more than that and the box is on borrowed time. Someone else on here will probably give you a more accurate figure.

3) "a decent boost": how long's a piece of string? :D The cheapest way (other than buying a TT from the outset) would be to drop a stock TT engine in when you have funds available. Speak to keron on here for conversion costs.

Edited by stevie_b (see edit history)

Mate go na manual stick some high lift cams in,manifold and exhaust strip the rear out and jobs a gud en (however not 300whp ).people go on and on about tt this and single that.they forget a "tweeked" na is no slouch however auto na is 100% a no no and if thats what your thinking then go turbo.....im running 14.3's in my na manual.dont be put off.....na was my choice over a tt or a single.

Edited by skippyboyo1 (see edit history)

There seem to be threads like this one every day now. By far the most sensible and cost effect option is if you want a Supra but cannot afford a TT then buy an NA and live with the power (to get anything more than a 15hp gain out of an NA will cost a huge amount of money). If you want more power then either trade in the NA and buy a TT when you can afford or save for longer and buy a TT to start with.

To do a *reliable* 2JZ-GE turbo conversion will cost you roughly the price of an auto TT if not more. Forget cheap poor quality turbo kits on Ebay they are junk, a decent turbo kit will cost £3K-£4K, but that is just a fraction of the overall build cost, you will need to upgrade many other supporting parts (fueling, ECU/mapping, transmission, electronics, cooling, etc.) You could easily spend £8K on doing the conversion to achieve similar power as a TT, with limited potential for future power gains, plus an NA-T will be difficult to sell on and will be worth little more than a stock NA.

Doing a 2JZ-GTE conversion into an NA car is an option but getting it to the same spec as an original TT will cost a lot more and the resale value of a NA-TT will never be as much as an original TT.

Have a read of THIS THREAD from yesterday on the same subject.

As above, but dont dis the auto. A lot of people seem to pre judge before even trying one. Also bear in mind when buying a cheap Supra, or any performance car you're gonna have to spend more cash to bring it up to scratch anyway so its false economy. Best advice is to shelve current plans and save more cash

Also bear in mind when buying a cheap Supra, or any performance car you're gonna have to spend more cash to bring it up to scratch anyway so its false economy. Best advice is to shelve current plans and save more cash

Wise words :thumbs:

Buy an auto TT then save and convert it to manual?

Personally If a manual TT is your ultimate goal then just save for that, but dont dismiss the autos until you try them!!!

I guess your right. It does make sense. How much would something like that cost?

Also bear in mind when buying a cheap Supra, or any performance car you're gonna have to spend more cash to bring it up to scratch

Very good point, the Supra is an old car now (between 9-18yo), whilst they are very well built and reliable if properly maintained, parts wear over time/mileage as on any car, unless the previous owner has replaced all parts that are subject to wear (suspension, brakes, radiator, clutch, alternator, PAS pump, service parts, tyres, etc.) then I would always budget for something having to be replaced. Whilst a second hand Supra can be bought relatively cheaply now, new parts are still expensive eg. you could buy an NA Supra for £2K but then easily spend the same again getting worn suspension components replaced.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

I guess im gonna wait until i have enough nuggets for a TT auto then, but how much would it cost to get the auto converted to manual?

I just want to have a rough estimate so i know what im getting myself into.

get a good solid auto TT and spend nothing on it mods wise if after a few months you still feel that ultimately you want a manual. Enjoy the auto and save a bit more, then sell the auto and buy a manual is the IMO the least hassle and most cost effective way.

dont get an na unless ur prepared to spend out the same as a tt. u clearly want a turbo and was the same when i was looking, now i dont want to part with mine so im in catch 22.

in my opinion, if u want a manual, buy a manual. but at least try an auto, but dont buy one as you have money burning a hole in your pocket and dont want to wait. i wish id bought a tt once you own a supra you find you want a new everything and money fora conversion wont appear so available.

As above, but dont dis the auto. A lot of people seem to pre judge before even trying one. Also bear in mind when buying a cheap Supra, or any performance car you're gonna have to spend more cash to bring it up to scratch anyway so its false economy. Best advice is to shelve current plans and save more cash

Wise words :thumbs:

Wise words indeed. :thumbs: