The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RobD's NA-TT Engine Conversion thread :)

RobD

Thought i'd start a thread to show you what i've been upto! I've had the engine since August, me and Stuart (Stuart_Hydzik on here) went to Jurgens to pick Stuarts 6-speed conversion up and he had this little lady sitting there...

Jurgen done me a very good deal on this, so thanks alot :)

The engine came with no turbo's or inlet manifold, injectors,engine loom etc so all that had to be sourced! Luckily a Stuart had alot of what i needed left over from his build and told me i can take that off his hands... your a legend bud!

So now the engine gets delivered to another very good mate Damien's garage, where he's letting me get everything perfect then helping me fit this into my car! Once the engine turned up and after a close inspection we decided that the best course of action was to strip the engine down as the Valve Stem Seals we're leaking and me and Damien being a couple of perfectionist's that we are thought this wouldn't do!

So I began to strip, once I took the cam belt covers etc off it became obvious that the cambelt, tensioner, water pump and oil pump was all nearly new!! Which was superb, as I was planning to change all of these before the engine went in, and even though i would've got discount through work, I very much doubt it would've been less than what I paid for the whole engine from Jurgen! :D

So the head was off and valves all taken out, cleaned and lapped in. The head got cleaned as much as i could, but the burnt on oil was a pain to shift but eventually after alot of hours spent on it the head was ready for a skim and a chemical clean!

I then set about trying to source the rest of the bits needed to complete the conversion. I managed to get hold of a free stock intercooler and piping of Marksupra ( thanks bud) on here, and various bits and bobs.

Just before Xmas ADD on here had for sale a set of Hybrid J-Spec Turbo's, after speaking with ADD we came to an agreement, thanks for being patient mate :)

So after xmas i cracked on and had Damien send my head off to get skimmed and cleaned, it came back looking like this...

So today I went down and starting to get the head back together! First of I gave the Valves a lap just to make sure the seats we're tip top after the clean/skim! I then fitted the Valve Stem Seals (ferrea) I bought from Eric at Titan Motorsports, whilst on the subject of Titan I would like to say the service Eric and the team at Titan offer is superb to say the least! I bought a ATI Damper and Valve stem seals from them for $500 odd delivered and they were here with 5 days of the order! Superb! :)

Pics of the Valve Stem Seals...

After that I fitted all the Valves to the head ( sorry no pics of this! :( )

Now it was time to clean the block up and fit the new head gasket and head ( I bought an OEM gasket kit from work).

As I cleaned the block up me and Damien noticed it looked abit pitted around the coolant channels :( there are also light score marks around each bore! Again no pics! :( So after much deliberation we decided the block should be stripped, sent off for a light skim and new piston rings, con rod bolts and bearings!

So the plan now is to get some ARP con-rod stud kit, ARP Head stud kit, OEM piston rings and shells.

This really annoyed me at the time as I thought I was on the home straight with the engine BUT at least I know if the block is stripped and sorted then i'll know every part of my engine is in tip-top condition! Plus it gives me a chance to add a little more piece of mind with the con-rod bolts being replaced etc!

After this is all sorted, I need to get a PAS pump, TT loom and igniter and a few BPU bits ( walbro fuel pump, spark plugs, restrictor ring etc).

Due to having the hybrids though i've been speaking to Ryan G about the best way to get the most out of my hybrids, so the plan is to get some uk spec injectors and i'm going to buy a AEM FIC of Ryan fitted and mapped also, this should run my hybrids just fine!

I've also managed to get a Precision Turbo FMIC of Stuart for a very good price so this is going to be fitted :p

Last but now least i'll be fitting a R154 gearbox also so i know I wont have gearbox issue's as I have a W58 box in ATM! After all the above is done, i'll be buying a full Ridox kit for the old girl, she'll have a smashing personality with the looks to match hopefully!

Sorry for the long post, if you've got this far then thanks for reading :)

Updates to follow :)

Awesome rob, Hope it all goes smoothly. Will this work out cheaper than getting someone to convert it for you?

If I was using stock parts then yes but obviously I got some bits of Stuart dirt cheap so probably wouldn't for anyone else in the same position!

Looking at it now I'd rather do it this way then just get a kit to put in, my engine will have new gaskets throughout with uprated parts that replace parts that's known to give issues previously! :)

It's definitely going to get the carbon ridox! I'm going to buy the wider rear arches also but unsure about the front arches ATM! Hopefully I'll also get a carbon shine auto rear diffuser also! :)

Oh yeah! Funnily enough I have one for sale mate! ;) may be willing to hold onto it until you have the funds if you like?!