The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Everything going wrong :(

supraturbochris

Evening all.

Well over the past week as some of you know i have been replacing my turbos.

I purtched a set of turbo technics hybrids off someone on here, Dont want to mention any names.

All done and sorted tonight, pistonbroke (dan) popped over to have a look.

We took her out for a test drive make sure everything is spot on and it was, boosting perfectly. I was so happy.

But on my way down to see friends tonight, the turbos started to sound really loud, like a very high pitched whistling noise and no boost. Park the car up, leave for about 5 mins, still the same.

Now no boost, turbos sounds like they wanna fall off the car.

Im so upset, i have spent so much money, time and effort getting these down because someone has sold me a pair of duff turbo's :(

Has anyone ever come accross this before? i have never had a turbo blow up on me.

I feel like a want to cry right now, so upset :(

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sadly second hand turbos have a history of going pop. Quite a few threads on here about them, Suprash lost 2 sets I believe.

Not sure what causes it, could be how they were stored, how they were shipped, how soon after fitting you ran serious boost through them. But whichever way it is you do take a bit of a chance fitting second hand turbos.

i can understand how this would get you down as im in a similar situation with my build at the moment.

can you get the standard ones you took off rebuilt .i know its all money and sometime s you feel like the car is just giving you stress you could do without.but then just remember what it was like before it went wrong,as it will get back to that stage again.

:):):) amazing how a smile can cheer you up

thanks for the comments guys, means alot.

Im going to speak to the guy who sold me them today, try and get my money back for them.

I have fitted approx 5 sets of turbos to different supra's now including pistonbrokes and never have any problems up untill now.

Im going to get the old one shipped off to cr turbos beginning of next week. :)

you put this

We took her out for a test drive make sure everything is spot on and it was, boosting perfectly. I was so happy.

So the turbo's were working fine at first when installed?? So you received them working? did you then just fit 2 decat pipes to them? what boost level were you running and how were you controlling it?

And dont worry its just a couple of turbo's...get them off again (pain in bum) and take a look, it may be your quickest answer if you have a rattle, you may find it something else thats broken and rattling.

you put this

So the turbo's were working fine at first when installed?? So you received them working?.

That's what I was thinking I'm afraid. You might not have much come back on them.:(

I hope its something simple for you and you get it sorted easily. :)

I don't believe it mate :(

Hope you got it sorted mate, if you need someone to give you some company and make you some tea while or pass you the spanners while you take the turbo's off or check all the pipings I'd be more than happy to pop over and bring your spirits up.

I doubt Chris would miss anything, his worked on a lot of Supra's and knows what his doing, very thorougher as well. Though I am just hoping you got a bit too excited working on your own and missed something. Getting Dan round again would be a good idea as he would most likely know.

thanks guys, means alot. Just i pain in the ass.

Little update. They are coming back off today, sending them off to turbo technics for a review into why they went pop, if they are faulty turbos which they are the seller is going to give my money back.

But i need my sup, i miss her :( so i have just bit the bullet and bought some hybrid turbos brand new from CR turbos, exaclty what pistonbroke did, and funny how he hasnt had any trouble :rolleyes:

Thanks again guys, and cheers bonus, that decent of you but i dont really require them now. :)

How much are the new turbos costing you ?

But as John said, I have had a few sets of turbos go on me, once a set died as I drove her home from Johns (Dude, when he was in Brighton) after just being fitted :D

Buying second hand turbos is a risky business. If anyone has a half decent set of second hand pair, contact me ;) Im still trying to find a pair :(

Normally with 2nd hand stuff if its fitted and it works then thats as far as it goes, they obviously were working when fitted as you were happy with them, they could have been dropped in transit etc, thats the way the cookie crumbles, I bought 2 uprated driveshafts from Leon at JPS for £500 one shattered on the first launch, must have been a fault in the metal, but when you put more than the factory intends thru something warranties go out the window.

right just a little update people. I have calmed down alot since thursday evening :D

Contacted CR turbos today, they are collecting my old units on monday to be rebult with steel blades.

Took the other fucked turbos off today, found 1st turbo completely gone, 2nd turbo was ok.

There was oil everywhere, in the metal intercooler pipe, turbo shaft was flapping about like a fish in the casing :D, there is a big crack in the casing next to waistgate, and 3 blades chipped, not good at all.