Everything going wrong :(

supraturbochris

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just to clarify this for people. Chris has said these turbos worked fine when first fitted, which is true yes, to an extent. Chris phoned me shortley after getting them on to ask me about a noise they were making, and whether or not it was normal. I went out with him in the car and could hear they were louder than normal twins. I put this down to the fact they were oversized suspected stage 2 or 3 hybrids.

My hybrids sound different to stock twins, but not overly so. Just the spool noise is slightly louder, Chris's turbos were very loud, and I suspect this wasn't down to a characteristic, but more of a sign of imminent failure.

I went round there again this evening to see the aftermath, of both Chris's turbos, and his sanity. Having separated the turbos, there is a huge crack in the casing, and obvious signs of a failed repair with a weld line along the crack. Turbos in this condition should never be refurbed, it's futile to expect them to have any durability left with such damage. Someone at some point will have been aware of this crack, be it the seller of the turbos, or turbo technics. My advice was to get the seller to take up the claim with turbo technics himself, as he's the one that bought them originally, and the sale of goods contract is between them, not Chris. Chris in my eyes, is a completely innocent party in all this, and shouldn't be expected to bear the brunt of the failure.

Chris has demonstrated time and time again that he is more than capable of fitting turbos, his workmanship is not in question. There is a thread on here, with pics, of my car on his drive undergoing the swap procedure. I also find the timing of the failure a hard pill to swallow, I suspect (And that's all this is, suspicion), that the seller had these turbos on his car, the noise started, so he removed them and sold them to Chris. I don't like to think that a member on here would intentionally rip another member off, but the fact these turbos failed so quickly raises some red flags IMO.

The hardest thing for me, is seeing this kind of thing happen to someone I class as more than a fellow member, but as a mate. Hence the long post.

Either way, I hope your refurbed turbos from CR get done ASAP, the sonner you're back behind the wheel with the BPU+ grin, the better :D

If there's anything else you need dude, don't hesitate to give me a shout. :thumbs:

May I suggest that there is a big sticky put up that says;

NEVER BUY SECOND HAND TURBOS!

And for thoses people trying to sell them - sorry guys but bit like buying undies from M&S - you cant take 'em back when worn....

...err, unless you like that sort of thing etc etc... :)

May I suggest that there is a big sticky put up that says;

NEVER BUY SECOND HAND TURBOS!

And for thoses people trying to sell them - sorry guys but bit like buying undies from M&S - you cant take 'em back when worn....

...err, unless you like that sort of thing etc etc... :)

Shit a brick, where the hell did you spring from ol' man, love you, havent seen you in a long while.

You still at the same place, still got that crazy dog ;) Must pop along and see you soon ;)

Erm, back on topic.......2nd hand turbos rock and can handle 2.4bar with no supporting mods :taped:

When I sold my turbos years ago they came back to me as the buyer had them checked over before fitting, I gave him his money straight back and the resold them for peanuts as requiring a refurb.

They were fine when on my car but may have got damaged during removal, storage or shipping, they are fairly fragile.

If you are trying to sell turbos I think the seller should have them checked out before hand, atleast then they could be sold with some confidence.

Whilst I am very sorry for the original poster, no one likes to be sold duff stuff and this post is not aimed at the OP. Ten years ago, there was a much better chance that parts from broken cars would be OK, now the risks are much higher, and sadly there are those that will exploit this situation. I am not suggesting that this was the case with the seller.

I wonder how many checks are ever carried out by buyers when the buy second-hand stuff. When dealing with major componants that are very expensive and take many man hours to fit, surely the investment in a few precision measuring tools, is peanuts compared with the cost and inconvenience of having to strip and rebuild the motor.

In the second hand market it is very much buyer beware. I have heads and blocks that appeared to have good heritage, but when dismantled, measured and compared to Toyota specs, were either beyond economic repair or right at the limit of serviceable life, with only a short life at standard engine power service. Once you start upping the power, the only specs that are acceptable are those closest to new OME figures.

Going back to a seller with actual measurements rather than subjective descriptions of noises and feel or in the worst case a pile of broken bits, gives irrefutable evidence, even if the seller rightly asks for independent inspection. If parts are in spec but then let go quickly afterwards, that is just bad luck, for which the seller should not take responsibility.

Buying second hand set of turbos need not be such a gamble if a good visual checks and axial and radial play measurements are taken, this will soon show up a bad set. If purchasers don't have the correct measuring gauges, a trip to a local engineering workshop armed with stock specs would be a very worth while trip. Perhaps Paul's advice is the best, as a bad set of turbos could wreck your engine and end up costing far more than a set of new turbos.

thanks guys, means alot. Just i pain in the ass.

Little update. They are coming back off today, sending them off to turbo technics for a review into why they went pop, if they are faulty turbos which they are the seller is going to give my money back.

But i need my sup, i miss her :( so i have just bit the bullet and bought some hybrid turbos brand new from CR turbos, exaclty what pistonbroke did, and funny how he hasnt had any trouble :rolleyes:

Thanks again guys, and cheers bonus, that decent of you but i dont really require them now. :)

No worries mate, if you do end up needing them, just give me a shout as they are just taking up space here, so would like to see them go to a good home. :)

Dude sorry to hear this :blink:

when I had mine done by CR they were back within 3 working days :D I hope this is the same for you, as BW meet will not be the same without you ;)

Keep us updated, and hopefully catch up on friday dude

Won't be the same? If Chris doesn't turn up, no one else will! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Right little update guys. Got my original turbos back from cr turbos few days before suprapod, my god they do a fantastic job! Like brand new, i Have ran them approx 400 miles now and boosts and pulls hard everytime and i havent had any problems with them since, So cant be the way i fitted them as these turbo's would have gone too.

What do you guys think? Should i name and shame this guy, because supra owners be aware, i dont want the same thing happening again to me or anyone else on here.