PDA

View Full Version : Views on the auto versus the manual gearbox

Dark Angel
18-07-03, 11:01
Picture this your Gonna buy a TT Supra do ya get the Auto or Manual (Bare in mind, speed, upgrading etc) Which and why??

ChrisB
18-07-03, 11:02
i bought the auto on advice of many others to see the manual was crap
dont shout at me :p
that and i never found a uk manual :D

Martin F
18-07-03, 11:16

Dark Angel
18-07-03, 11:18
Always one smart one :p Cheers for that, that'll teach me for not searching better.....:blink:

Matt Harwood
18-07-03, 14:21
I've got both. Personally, I'd say there's not much in it. The auto is a nicer car to drive, and doesn't select the wrong gear, (which is easy to do in a manual).
I've got exactly the same modifications on the manual as I had on the auto, but as yet, I've not been able to do any timed speed runs to see which is quicker... I'm of the opinion that the auto will be quicker unless your either an animal with the clutch and box, or a very, very good driver.

Dark Angel
18-07-03, 14:22
Excellent cheers for your input there Matt - are you the guy I'm meant to talk to about ICE??

Adam W
18-07-03, 14:36
Manual (with uprated clutch) will hold more power than the autobox. However, you'll need to spend £10k+ on the engine before the autobox starts struggling. At that point, a few grand for an auto upgrade shouldn't worry you too much ;)

Dark Angel
18-07-03, 14:42
Good advise - cheers again...

Like your little bit'o poetry at the bottom ref power ;)

Ian C
18-07-03, 14:48
Power is here
Grip is not
The car flies

-Ian

MONKEYmark
18-07-03, 14:59
been done loads of times before, i bought first supra i seen as i got a good part ex. i dont think i would like to start over again now cars slowly getting there. would like the manual as i bet it would feel more of a drivers car. always get same with people looking down on car because its an auto. more fool them ;-)
on a roll it would be close. off the mark the auto seems not brilliant. but then the manuals dont do much better they seem to struggle with grip.
if i was starting from scratch i would look for a manual. but happy with auto. a torque convertor and maybe an uprated box like sp400 or something simular would be good.

best thing to do is take a test drive in both and make your own mind up.

Barry
18-07-03, 15:35
I've never been a fan of auto cars, the Sup is my first. And I love it.!

No messing about searching for the right gear to get you into the power to do a quick overtake move, you also get 'manual mode' on the auto which is alot of fun and which I use almost all of the time (apart from dualcarriageway and motorway driving).

I suppost that you'd get used to finding the right gear in a manual when you need the power, but I found that when I was in a manual, the gear changes were very lumpy and the car jerks alot, whereas the auto is just so smooth and pins you permanently to the back of the seat!

:)

Matt Harwood
18-07-03, 15:37
Have a look at Marks thread regarding drag times and you'll see the top cars are all auto's... At the moment!

MONKEYmark
18-07-03, 15:41
Originally posted by Matt Harwood
Have a look at Marks thread regarding drag times and you'll see the top cars are all auto's... At the moment! sounds like a challenge, you are too nice to be top of list :)

not long now to see you lot racing.

eyefi
18-07-03, 15:57
both r great, both r very different.

AJI
18-07-03, 16:17
Having only driven an Auto for a few minutes when I was testing out different Supras before I bought one, can you select it so that you always have engine braking?

eyefi
18-07-03, 16:29
yes, but its not as profound as the manual.

Terminator
18-07-03, 16:30
I have driven all types including the tiptronic, which was fun, but I was a bit concerned about future upgrades on the VVI engine.

As said by many before, with the same mods, there’s not much in it, the auto would probably have the edge. The manual feels quicker as you get on off power surges as you work through the box, where as the auto just gives an almost constant progressive push.

In a hurry I did find I had selected the wrong gear once or twice, when really going for it in the manual, and I know other members have had this in drag strip. For normal to fast driving I thought the box was fine.

I would have one of each if I could afford it.
:D

eyefi
18-07-03, 16:33
the auto is like a magic carpet :) i drove mine the other day and was amazed how smooth it was (after a few months in the manual).

pulse
18-07-03, 18:25
I've driven auto and manual (no tip tronic, unfortunately). It really depends on the driver. I adore my auto, the Supra is well known for being a damn fine auto box.

I'd suggest go and pay JIC a visit (http://www.japanese-car-imports.co.uk), they've got a wide selection of Supras for sale and will let you take them for a proper test drive (within reason:)). Get the feel of the cars, test drive a couple of each, and see which one you get to grips with the best.

I stand by all the auto owners here. It's damn fast, the power delivery is great, and the auto took my choice :)

-p

foodfreak
18-07-03, 18:57
I had a u.k auto for 8 years
& although it is very quick and smooth
and I was very happy with it,
I still went for the manual when I had the chance to buy another,

my personal choice, I prefer the 'driver involvement'
John

Steve Cargill
18-07-03, 19:02
I think for 95% of the driving most people do the auto is better. There is the odd time you really want to play where I miss a manual - but those situations you'd probably want an Elise or the like.

Don't forget, an auto will kickdown as quick (and into the correct gear) as a manual can be changed, it just feels slower as you are not actually doing anything other than waiting. Psycology!!

Dark Angel
21-07-03, 09:17
All very fair points here, I think due to traffic I'd like to end up with an auto but I know I would miss the "Driver Involvement" Its a tricky one - seems theres not much in the perfomance angle so thats not really a consideration.. Cheers all.... :)

jase_93tt
30-07-06, 22:49
Mines an auto box and Im more than happy with it (even after having scores of non-supra, manual mission cars previously)

Kopite
30-07-06, 22:51
Surely a record for the biggest threat resurrection :D Cheers though because i was looking for this thread on a member's behalf a few days ago :D

jamesmark
30-07-06, 22:53
Ok I will raise you lol

Tattooman
30-07-06, 23:50
I personally don't think anyone can say that a Manual is better than an Auto or vice a versa, I just think it is down to your own personal preference on what you wanna drive, end of really...

geoffvalenti
31-07-06, 01:37
Clutchflite ;) It's the only way to go :D

imi
31-07-06, 03:03
I personally don't think anyone can say that a Manual is better than an Auto or vice a versa,.

thats your personal opinion ;)

SupraAyf
31-07-06, 07:45
Eyefi,

Couldn't have put it better myself m8. What better than a monster car with the manners of a saint! I've never had a manual Supe and to be honest; I don't want one now as I wouldn't want to loose the graceful and refined style of the auto. I'm happy with my lot but its driving preference at the end of the day!:thumbs:

the auto is like a magic carpet :) i drove mine the other day and was amazed how smooth it was (after a few months in the manual).

Tattooman
31-07-06, 19:19
thats your personal opinion ;)
I have my own personal opinion but I wouldn't voice it on here as people get defensive about their pride and joy. I have owned numerous Manuals and Autos and I know which my personal preferance is.:) :) :)

JohnA
03-08-06, 14:22
What exactly does 'personal opinion' mean?

Ask yourself this:
Can an opinion be impersonal?;)

Kopite
03-08-06, 14:27
You could give an opinon of a group so that's someting extra to your own personal opinion :) E.g. politics etc, Labour says we should do this as it's the best option.... not every member might think that though

Tattooman
03-08-06, 23:20
What exactly does 'personal opinion' mean?

Ask yourself this:
Can an opinion be impersonal?;)
My personal opinion is exactly what it says on the tin...My personal or individual opinion on a subject or item and not in the context of a general opinion of a group of people on a particular subject. It couldn't be simpler really ??? Why do you not understand that then JohnA ??? Beats me why you asked that ???

JohnA
04-08-06, 07:44
No offence but, at the end of the day, basically my personal opinion is actually not importan't - suffice to say

(I've heard that Vicky Pollard is pregnant, aaaaawwwww :eyebrows: )

imi
04-08-06, 10:39
No offence but, at the end of the day, basically my personal opinion is actually not importan't - suffice to say

(I've heard that Vicky Pollard is pregnant, aaaaawwwww :eyebrows: )

lol

Pabs
09-08-06, 22:19
This thread is swaying me towards an auto, or at least a tiptronic gearbox...
Out of interest, is tiptronic a common box to find? And what are they advertised as - auto? semi-auto?

lucasl
08-09-06, 17:36
Although i havnt driven an auto or a triptronic supra i have driven a ferrari 360 challenge car (no seriously i have) that had the flappy padle on the steering wheel, yea it was fast shifting and had an aggresive clutch but id rather a manual, thats just my opinion tho :)

imi
08-09-06, 18:37
Have a look at Marks thread regarding drag times and you'll see the top cars are all auto's... At the moment!

Guess theyre all shite drivers :D

Come on guys, where's the fun in being driven?

I prefer being in control of the car. Anyways, its a personal opinion, try both and see which one you prefer.

silvershark44
08-09-06, 19:50
It really is what you prefer, but people who say the auto is shit, do not know what they are talking about at all. Because it isnt. Its an excellent auto box.

Most people who say the auto is shit have never driven an auto supra, and most probably havent even driven an auto car.

I personally would change to the manual, as i like the auto box so much. The manual is also good, and i have actually driven all three, auto 5speed and 6 speed. The auto is the one for me.

Need4Speed
11-09-06, 13:17
I prefer being in control of the car.So keep both hands on the steering wheel:d

BURT
11-09-06, 13:26
having driven both,, and currently owning a T61 with an auto box.. i love it..
however this all depends on your requirements and wich suits your driving.
the auto is superb for motorways A roads and of course the drag strip, but if you are intending to do alot of hard track days i would tend to steer towards the manual,

Need4Speed
11-09-06, 13:53
Manual is better on track because you can hold a gear off throttle.

BURT
11-09-06, 14:04

you can too in auto whilst in manu mode

stupra
11-09-06, 14:40
I took two manuals, an two auto's out before I bought a soop, an I picked the auto. The auto is great in most circumstances, an is much easier to live with around town, (espesh with uprated clutches). I think a manual will give slightly better control around a track, but how often do you go out on a track ?. Like others have said, its all down to the individual, my advice (for what its worth), to anyone looking to buy a soop, would be to test drive both.

Pig
11-09-06, 14:47
I currently own an auto, since going single i am looking for a manual conversion. The reason for this is that i have always loved manual cars as there is more to do, and IMO more fun to be had.
Im going to be off to test some manuals 1st though as i have only had the pleasure of being a passenger in one with twins (which seemed vey jerky)

stupra
11-09-06, 14:50
I found the manuals jerky when gunning it, but that might just be me driving like a wanker. :d

silvershark44
11-09-06, 22:46
The manual is a fantastic option

I just get pissed off with people who think the auto is somewhat inferior when it really isnt.

Both the auto and the manual perform really well. It really is down to choice.

One "advantage" that i find with the auto is that it can encourage you to drive a little more sensible sometimes as its so pleasant to pootle around with the auto set up.

Manuals are far more aggressive and tend to bring out the boy racer in me, which isnt too good :d

Whitesupraboy2
11-09-06, 23:00
i was anti auto i guess before i got the TT. IMO with a TT auto or manual is fine. With a NA id only want a manual as youd be able to keep it in the power band and use it better with the manual.

squiffy
11-09-06, 23:01
watch out for the kick down!

matt k
12-09-06, 00:17

Don't forget that a Supra off throttle is also off boost, so even in the correct gear you've got to build boost back up!
Also, the Auto keeps boost better on gear change so in MANU mode an Auto could be as quick around a track, most of the people on hear probably think they are Michael Schumacher and that they are KING DICK with the clutch and gearbox but the honest truth is that the Supra is probably more capable than most can make it be :soap:

P.s i would like a manual as i think i am a driving god.:)

Terminator
13-09-06, 22:57
Manuals are far more aggressive :d

Come for a ride in my auto, I'll show you agressive.

Pabs
13-09-06, 23:12
hmmm, still so confused.
Just have to see what happens when it comes to buying my supra i suppose!

jase_93tt
14-09-06, 00:41
I love my auto, but.....having to hit the manual mode button to turn it on or off is starting to be a grind. Same with the overdrive button.....

Can someone make a nice little switch (like the greddy remote boost switch) that sits on either side of the steering wheel, one for overdrive, one for manual on/off :))

Jake
14-09-06, 01:02
I love my auto, but.....having to hit the manual mode button to turn it on or off is starting to be a grind. Same with the overdrive button.....

Can someone make a nice little switch (like the greddy remote boost switch) that sits on either side of the steering wheel, one for overdrive, one for manual on/off :))You could fit the (rather nice) steering wheel from a Tiptronic Supra and wire the buttons to the Manu and OD Off.

jase_93tt
14-09-06, 01:17
You could fit the (rather nice) steering wheel from a Tiptronic Supra and wire the buttons to the Manu and OD Off.

Cool. Thats a thought.... I bet they cost shed loads from Mr Toyota though.

Jake
14-09-06, 01:31
I got one for £40 from a breakers. It looks and feels great on my 93 RZ Auto. The buttons aren't doing anything but I did consider wiring them up to do what we're on about here. Either that or to do a couple of the stereo functions. Being the lazy git I am I never got around to doing either :)

imi
14-09-06, 10:25
FOR ME, the manual is NOT about track driving as I have no intentions of tracking my car. The sheer joy of being INVOLVED while poodling around town, A / B / M Roads in a manual makes the Auto less of a choice.

I have driven the Auto (9 supras before I bought mine) and its a cracking gearbox. Just too boring for a sportscar that is the supra.

If I wanted to be driven, then I'd get a Merc S500 and a driver. :D

What matters is that you are happy with whatever gearbox you decided to go for.

uezzell
03-10-06, 22:06
Is there any difference in insurance from a auto or manual and is the auto in an N/A just as good as an auto in a TT?

Class One
03-10-06, 22:09
There are some subtle differences between the TT and N/A autobox, the TT box veing slightly smoother and some differences in MANU mode.

uezzell
03-10-06, 22:12
so most the people in this thread are talking about the TT auto then.

MONKEYmark
19-10-06, 04:16
keep away from autos they crap sluggish and they an old mans car.deffo get a manual 6 speed as they will make you feel the real driver extracting every ounce of performance.the auto u just put it in drive and press hard on the gas.autos are like a jag nice and smooth but not for the real true racer

hope that helps

imho

xxx
xx
x

Max Headroom
19-10-06, 09:52
been done loads of times before, i bought first supra i seen as i got a good part ex. i dont think i would like to start over again now cars slowly getting there. would like the manual as i bet it would feel more of a drivers car. always get same with people looking down on car because its an auto. more fool them ;-)
on a roll it would be close. off the mark the auto seems not brilliant. but then the manuals dont do much better they seem to struggle with grip.
if i was starting from scratch i would look for a manual. but happy with auto. a torque convertor and maybe an uprated box like sp400 or something simular would be good.

best thing to do is take a test drive in both and make your own mind up.

keep away from autos they crap sluggish and they an old mans car.deffo get a manual 6 speed as they will make you feel the real driver extracting every ounce of performance.the auto u just put it in drive and press hard on the gas.autos are like a jag nice and smooth but not for the real true racer

hope that helps

imho

xxx
xx
x

How time and experience makes a difference :)

Matt Harwood
19-10-06, 12:24
How time and experience makes a difference :)

I think you'll find Mr Monkey left off the 'sarcasic' smilie ;)

Max Headroom
19-10-06, 12:51
;) Ok

mjm.uk
06-11-06, 22:54
If i was to buy a supra N/A - What MANUAL gearboxes are there to chose from? Because i have seen adverts saying Manual 4spd, 5spd and 6spd... Personally I would love a 6spd manual N/A but can you only get them in 5spd manuals? Damn i'm confused. And I want a N/A because i dont think i'd be able to handle the power of a TT yet :D Safely does it for me (till i get bored an crave a TT)

Jake
07-11-06, 00:57
If i was to buy a supra N/A - What MANUAL gearboxes are there to chose from? Because i have seen adverts saying Manual 4spd, 5spd and 6spd... Personally I would love a 6spd manual N/A but can you only get them in 5spd manuals?
N/As were available in 5sp and 6sp. The older ones are 5sp only.

ps
It would have been better to start a new thread for this question rather than drag this old one up - no offense like, just saying.

suprrrra
12-01-07, 01:16
For those of you asking....I own a tiptronic supra and it is fantastic fun. I haven't driven a manual or the normal auto box, but had a 12 second auto car prior to the supra and it wasn't as fun as the tiptronic option. I ALWAYS have it in tiptronic mode...even if I'm just going around the corner....you feel like you are in COMPLETE control...no unexpected kickdowns or upshifts....just like a manual without all the work...just gets the job done...also keeps the engine boosted during the upshifts better than what a manual would do I think...:)

imi
12-01-07, 01:19
as long as it suits your driving.... :D

Terminator
13-01-07, 20:24
I love this old chestnut. They are both MKIV's and even standard they both are quick.

hogmaw
13-01-07, 20:32
Ressurection of the oldest thread ever? I used to think manual was best... THEN I BOUGHT AN AUTO TT SUPRA and do not regret it

Damz
13-05-07, 17:51
how is the n/a automatic?, there pretty cheap at the moment and im thinking of buying one, im not going to be racing it about or anything just driving for fun

edge
13-05-07, 17:56
how is the n/a automatic?, there pretty cheap at the moment and im thinking of buying one, im not going to be racing it about or anything just driving for fun

N/a - can be auto or 5/6speed manual.
N/a is the non turbo version.

Damz
13-05-07, 18:05
N/a - can be auto or 5/6speed manual.
N/a is the non turbo version.

the auto n/a is still around £1500 cheaper than the manual version. Theres one nearby for £3000 that im quite interested in but im wandering if there any flaws with automatic version of the n/a.

im wanting a n/a version since the turbo version would cost waaaaaaaaaaay too much for me to insure at the moment, maybe in a few years.

jase_93tt
14-05-07, 13:25
I drove an n/a auto and 5spd a few years back before I had got my TT. If I was in the market for an n/a ,I would go with the 5spd version. Not that the auto is bad or anything like that, its a darn good car for the money, just the N/a engine really needs to be manually driven to keep it in the powerband better IMHO.

MarkTheBoy
14-05-07, 18:52
If im honest when i bought mine (TT Auto) I really loved it, loved the box, the manual mode and the "Wall of endless acceleration" (:D)

Then I raced it at pod... felt really deflated with the way it felt when dragging it as getting off the line was an absolute bas#ard :(
I'd been racing in loads of manuals before and you get a real racers feel crunching it into gears as fast as you can etc etc. I didn't get the same feel with the auto and I felt really pissed off.

Then a few mods later and a bit of practise getting off the line and im back to being the cat whos got the cream in my auto.

If I was buying an N/A it would have to be a manual, but in a TT I think the auto box is awesome :D :cool: :D

mr keef
16-05-07, 08:48
who knows after this thread there might be a big list of members wanting to do the manual to auto conversion and not the other way round....so there you have it folks...if your manual and youd like to change to auto then i'll take your gearboxes and all the bits off you for 500 pounds per kit;)

AndyT
16-05-07, 08:55
If im honest when i bought mine (TT Auto) I really loved it, loved the box, the manual mode and the "Wall of endless acceleration" (:D)

Then I raced it at pod... felt really deflated with the way it felt when dragging it as getting off the line was an absolute bas#ard :(
I'd been racing in loads of manuals before and you get a real racers feel crunching it into gears as fast as you can etc etc. I didn't get the same feel with the auto and I felt really pissed off.

Then a few mods later and a bit of practise getting off the line and im back to being the cat whos got the cream in my auto.

If I was buying an N/A it would have to be a manual, but in a TT I think the auto box is awesome :D :cool: :D

What mods did you do Mark? Interested for Pod 08 possibly. :)

Sheefa
17-05-07, 10:35
Without a doubt I reckon the takeover of the Manual is well underway and soon enough it'll be all the Auto's that are more sought after.........well :)

JamieP
17-05-07, 10:37
Without a doubt I reckon the takeover of the Manual is well underway and soon enough it'll be all the Auto's that are more sought after.........well :)

Dream on Greg:D

Pete
17-05-07, 10:43
Good grief...is this debate still raging on?

In my mind it's simple.
You want a fun second car for track days, making big BHP, drag racing - buy a 6Spd.
If you want an easy everyday car for mild tuning with a bit of fun when you want it, buy a Tiptronic. ;)

matt k
18-05-07, 22:31
I don't think you would be disappointed with any of the 3 Transmissions available.

sparkyspar
26-06-07, 22:43
never had a auto meself .bloody great fan no messin wiv gears and i dont spill me coffe now

Jake
26-06-07, 23:09
never had a auto meself .bloody great fan no messin wiv gears and i dont spill me coffe now Huh? What was that about a fan?

Would you mind writing your posts in English please mate? Life's too short for me to have to figure out what the hell you were trying to say.
Thanks.

James
21-02-08, 16:50
BUMP for other newbies. Good read and makes me consider an auto more. :)

Burble Burble
21-02-08, 19:21
Ah, that old chestnut, I have an auto.

If I want to be a stick wiggler and pretend that makes me faster, I take a stick of celery and every time I put my foot down I give it a shake. Same result and if I'm hungry i've got something to nibble. :)

carl0s
22-02-08, 09:19
Auto for me except for one problem.. power limits. It's not happy above 500bhp, and in my BPU UK car, (which did feel shockingly fast on second turbo compared to my BPU Jap car) the box started slipping already (obviously nowhere near 500bhp..)

I drove a 5spd N/A for a while and I couldn't get to grips with the box or clutch. Hard to describe it but felt like a heavy flywheel combined with funny pedal angle/travel/weight. Just wasn't such a smooth drive and I couldn't just throw it in the next gear uber-fast like say most of the other manuals I've driven.

Firestorm
22-02-08, 09:20
Ah, that old chestnut, I have an auto.

If I want to be a stick wiggler and pretend that makes me faster, I take a stick of celery and every time I put my foot down I give it a shake. Same result and if I'm hungry i've got something to nibble. :)

by far the damn funniest thing ive heard all day- so far lol! love it! auto box all the way! (but when i get another supe il get a manu, just for aguments sake lol)

Luigi_Gool
22-02-08, 12:44
I drove a 5spd N/A for a while and I couldn't get to grips with the box or clutch. Hard to describe it but felt like a heavy flywheel combined with funny pedal angle/travel/weight. Just wasn't such a smooth drive and I couldn't just throw it in the next gear uber-fast like say most of the other manuals I've driven.

What 5 speed did you drive?:blink: i've driven a few (including mine) and they're fine. Now i've got the 5 speed with a TT lump and still feels smooth ;)

Anyway Auto's are for fat lazy americans who don't know what a clutch is....lol :p

Only Joking ;) Before someone bites my head off :d

jamesmark
22-02-08, 13:03

Stupid comment, very stupid.

MrRalphMan
22-02-08, 13:11
Stupid comment, very stupid.

Hi James I thought the MOD positions were all gone.. btw I do agree... :)

jamesmark
22-02-08, 13:57
Hi James I thought the MOD positions were all gone.. btw I do agree... :)

Lol, I cannot be bothered with tat like that mate, has no relevance to the discussion. Fingers crossed a Mod can clean it up. ;)

Bailey.
29-04-10, 08:01
The autos look fast, no dought, also everyone raves about the auto box, but that six manual is a strong old box!!!! I want a car I can have fun in at weekends and I know I will get that in a manual, only doing 50 miles a week. Also I don't want to say it cos it's petty!!!!

Autos sound bent!!!!!!!

Deep breaths, I said it!!!!!

Nodalmighty
29-04-10, 08:09
The Mk4 Supra Auto is the nicest auto I've driven. I like it so much I'm putting one in my mr2 :)

In a manual, every time you hit the clutch your slowing down (more so if you fluff the shift).

Lyndon.

Dave17
29-04-10, 08:13
Autos sound bent!!!!!!!

And what does "bent" sound like? I'm guessing you?

tDR
29-04-10, 09:01
Quite the thread resurrection...

p.s. Autos are fastest.

Fitz
29-04-10, 11:01
p.s. Autos are fastest.

+1 :thumbs:

Attero
29-04-10, 11:29
Quite the thread resurrection...

p.s. Autos are fastest.

Just to even things out. :)

Robzki
29-04-10, 11:50
+2, How exactly can an auto gearbox have homosexual tendencies? I'm confused, and this subject has been done to death now imo

TopgunTT
29-04-10, 14:32
Who dug this one up :rolleyes:

Jamesy
29-04-10, 14:43
The autos look fast, no dought, also everyone raves about the auto box, but that six manual is a strong old box!!!! I want a car I can have fun in at weekends and I know I will get that in a manual, only doing 50 miles a week. Also I don't want to say it cos it's petty!!!!

Autos sound bent!!!!!!!

:search: couple of minor points re your excellent post ....

How can an Auto supra 'look' faster than a manual?
And
How does the Auto supra 'sound' bent?

winnie109
17-05-11, 14:42
Is there much of a difference in the MPG between let's say the 6 speed man and the autobox??

scotty71
17-05-11, 17:27
yes in the 6 speed manuals you can get 46 mpg apparently rather than 20/25 in any other Supra

(it has to be red though and you have to have 7000 forum posts to qualify for this "special" mpg rate) :D

ripped_fear
17-05-11, 18:45
yes in the 6 speed manuals you can get 46 mpg apparently rather than 20/25 in any other Supra

(it has to be red though and you have to have 7000 forum posts to qualify for this "special" mpg rate) :D

haha oh dear this will never die :p

RobUK
17-05-11, 18:49
Is there much of a difference in the MPG between let's say the 6 speed man and the autobox??

That all depends on driving style.... I red line in every gear on my 6 speed ;)

AJI
17-05-11, 22:03
That all depends on driving style.... I red line in every gear on my 6 speed ;)

You may want to change this statement if you ever come to sell your car ;) (only jokng)

RobUK
17-05-11, 22:07
Sell? Go wash your keyboard for that statement...... :D

Abz
17-05-11, 22:17
Is there much of a difference in the MPG between let's say the 6 speed man and the autobox?? Slightly yes, though when you are driving a 3.0L Twin Turbo petrol engine you won't notice the difference.

Paul R
22-07-11, 09:38
It's been at least 2 months since a post on this debate......come on...

Auto's are best! (only because I have one)

:-)

Paul.

AJI
22-07-11, 11:42
And what does "bent" sound like?

I see this thread is still alive.

To provoke some further reactions....... I think I can see where he got this line of thinking from. Basically if you try to copy the sound of an Auto with your voice (as you do)....it does sound a bit " :gayfight: " ;)
(If you focus on the point of gear change that is)

:p

:hide:

JMB
18-08-11, 14:28
Just bought a tip tronic to have a good range between auto and manual :)

For drag racing it s better ... As i m not used to RHD :)

Paul R
18-08-11, 14:31
Just bought a tip tronic to have a good range between auto and manual :)

For drag racing it s better ... As i m not used to RHD :)

Tiptronic IS auto!! :P

Josh
19-08-11, 14:34
Manual is best.

Thread closed.

Jamesy
19-08-11, 14:45
I'd highly recommend a boostlogic autobox and 700ftlbs ;)

Geo
19-08-11, 15:01
I'd highly recommend a boostlogic autobox and 700ftlbs ;)

until it breaks, :p

Jamesy
19-08-11, 15:06
exactly dude

markg1150
24-08-11, 14:07
i do alot of miles with my job in a manual van so iv done so much cog swaping, clutch mashing my knees hurt. dont think id ever buy a manual anything now. and the supra auto box is mint. just slip it in 2 for the twistys bits then d for the straights with over drive and its bang on. i would like a tiptronic just to play about with but im not upset iv not got it. my mechanic brother in law had ago an he was very impressed we the responsiveness, said it was definatly one of the best hes ever come across

carl0s
05-09-11, 01:02
I'm considering a third Supra in around six months, when I've finished the rex and can sell it as a finished job. This time I think I want a manual though so that I can do the Dukes of Hazard shit that I love doing in my rex, but also so that I can have a similar or greater power to weight ratio than I have at the moment, so I'm thinking of an eventual 500 - 550 fwhp single, which kind of rules out the autobox anyway, or it does for me anyway because it's not a risk I would take.

Can I have some opinions on what the v160 is like to live with? I know the standard description is "agricultural", but I'm not really sure what that means.

BradD
05-09-11, 11:39
well if anyones gone crazy over the auto boxes, i'm always up for a manual conversion lol ;)

Josh
05-09-11, 11:52
I'm considering a third Supra in around six months, when I've finished the rex and can sell it as a finished job. This time I think I want a manual though so that I can do the Dukes of Hazard shit that I love doing in my rex, but also so that I can have a similar or greater power to weight ratio than I have at the moment, so I'm thinking of an eventual 500 - 550 fwhp single, which kind of rules out the autobox anyway, or it does for me anyway because it's not a risk I would take.

Can I have some opinions on what the v160 is like to live with? I know the standard description is "agricultural", but I'm not really sure what that means.

It's fine for me. I've had the car for 7 or 8 months now and not once have I been fed up with it.

It's a bit clunky at first but after 5 miles or so of driving, after it's warmed up, it's completely fine. To me it feels more mechanical and a more precise gear change than manual cars I've owned before (not that they can be compared).

Try one out before you buy :)

Samurai 20V
06-09-11, 05:20
I am a TT6 owner, the box is a bit clunky when cold, but fine when it is warmed up.. The shifting action is quite solid on the car, but considering how strong the box it is very easy to drive...Even my wife drives the car without complaints...

I have not been in an auto Supra but for me its more exciting to drive a manual car.. Although in Japan's busy roads, an auto is pretty convenient..

The other Getrag cars I have driven (E46 M3, E30 325iS) have also been pretty heavy duty and also sound like a bad of bolts at time, think thats how they build them...

Josh is right, best is to try them out as everybodys preference is different..

carl0s
06-09-11, 14:10
It's just that I didn't really realise how much I could dislike a gearbox until I got my Tremec T56, which is also super-strong, and easy and cheap to service too when it does break. Those are nice properties to have, but I'm trying to figure out if the v16x is much of an improvement on it.

Abz
06-09-11, 14:19
You are building a 6.0L LS2 lump into a RX7 and your worried about the manual box being a bit clunky? :d

carl0s
06-09-11, 14:26
You are building a 6.0L LS2 lump into a RX7 and your worried about the manual box being a bit clunky? :d

It's been on the road a year. The issues are all NVH related now and have been for some time! It's pretty refined now but still a way to go :)
The first year of driving was all novelty. Now the trim vibrations / buzzes irritate me, and the gearbox is really grumpy. To be honest I'm more wound up with trim and road / suspension noises than the grumpy gearbox lately! This week has been a happy week though. I obviously did something right to it at the weekend (rear hatch rattles, spherical bearings).

David P
06-09-11, 14:41
An A343E T.T. auto is good for 550ishbhpftlb and can be picked up from £0 to £200, which makes it the best bang for your buck box.

Convert it to A340E N/A hydraulics, use a Suprastick standalone ECU and have Auto & Manualised control.

:sly: Up to 550 horses to play with, :senile: easy in traffic, 138552 great fun on the run :think: and £2.5k or so better off than going Getrag. :thumbs:

carl0s
07-09-11, 01:12
An A343E T.T. auto is good for 550ishbhpftlb and can be picked up from £0 to £200, which makes it the best bang for your buck box.

Convert it to A340E N/A hydraulics, use a Suprastick standalone ECU and have Auto & Manualised control.

:sly: Up to 550 horses to play with, :senile: easy in traffic, 138552 great fun on the run :think: and £2.5k or so better off than going Getrag. :thumbs:

I would miss the ease of lighting up the wheels from a standstill that I have with the manual car, although I do miss the spaceship like changes from the autobox. It's definitely immortalised in my mind as the best auto box/car I've ever driven.
I've had two auto TT Supras though already so I have a reasonable idea what they're like to drive and their benefits and limitations.
I'm not convinced at all that 550 ft/lb could be put through one without a good chance of failure / massively shortened lifespan either, but besides, my main concern is as above.
My first auto TT was a UK one that felt like it made a lot of power and torque (compared to my later BPUish J-spec car), at ~18 psi on the standard (steel) twins. The autobox on that car had started to slip on WOT 2-3 changes a little while before I crashed the car.

David P
07-09-11, 10:50
If all I am missing is the ability to wear out my tyres quicker, :think: I think I can live with that.

imi
07-09-11, 10:57
Slightly yes, though when you are driving a 3.0L Twin Turbo petrol engine you won't notice the difference.

exactly, these run of the mill wannabies :)

I get the impression that most Auto owners regret their decision (probably due to financial constraints) which is why they are the most vocal about it. :)

carl0s
07-09-11, 11:12
If all I am missing is the ability to wear out my tyres quicker, :think: I think I can live with that.

Okie dokie. I'm considering a manual anyway, or keeping the Rex. I am still persevering with my anti-rattle mission :D
Facelift 6spd manual VVTi + small/medium single (PHR Street-ish) + Syvecs S6 ECU + proper setup, will not give me any change even if I get a good price for the RX7 (£15k).

Abz
07-09-11, 12:30
exactly, these run of the mill wannabies :)

I get the impression that most Auto owners regret their decision (probably due to financial constraints) which is why they are the most vocal about it. :)

Not at all! I just hate London traffic! I don't know how you drive a single manual everyday to work. If I lived out of London I'd get a manual, I'd prefer an auto but I'd consider a manual if condition of the car is good!

Plus auto's are quicker (did I mention that already) :d

imi
07-09-11, 12:50
Been driving it in london since 2004 and have personally clocked 67K miles :)

If the price delta between an Auto & Manual was negligible I wonder how many would still prefer an Auto ;)

imi

Abz
07-09-11, 22:51
Been driving it in london since 2004 and have personally clocked 67K miles :)

If the price delta between an Auto & Manual was negligible I wonder how many would still prefer an Auto ;)

imi

I'd still prefer an auto, drove an E92 M3 today, you don't get many modern manual supercars these days. Saying that my colleague managed to get a BMW X3 in a manual! I didn't even know they would do a manual version.

How many clutches have you been through that period imi?, I have to say I am mighty impressed though! That would have drove me mad.

Scott
07-09-11, 22:57
It's not about driving to work, it's about when it's time to enjoy the car and IMO that can't be experienced fully with the auto box. I would never settle for anything less than a manual where the supra is concerned.

Super cars are full on paddle shift gearboxes. They are a far cry from automatics. Think of them as clutchless dogboxes.

scotty71
07-09-11, 23:26
Plus auto's are quicker (did I mention that already) :d

can tell the Honda is a manual then :p

I wouldnt want a six speed supra, I like the auto.

The only time I would have wanted a manual was when I went round Donington. You didnt get the feel of the track with the auto but how often do I track it, not much. I like the foot to the floor and go that the auto gives you while abz is missing gears and Josh is just............well Josh :D

Havard
07-09-11, 23:33
This thread has had more come backs than Tom Jones.

5 speed manual with low power ftw..!! Loved my NA.

H.

scotty71
07-09-11, 23:38
This thread has had more come backs than Tom Jones.

5 speed manual with low power ftw..!! Loved my NA.

H.

seen a nice n/a 5 speed at a random garage in Derby today.... I was tempted H :D

Im having a double garage built in Oct so would have sat next to the TT

Havard
07-09-11, 23:42
seen a nice n/a 5 speed at a random garage in Derby today.... I was tempted H :D

Im having a double garage built in Oct so would have sat next to the TT

I am hoping to find another 5 speed manual with low miles. I will then sell the TT go back to driving like a cock to get any enjoyment.

Mrs H also preferred the NA.

H.

scotty71
07-09-11, 23:48
I am hoping to find another 5 speed manual with low miles. I will then sell the TT go back to driving like a cock to get any enjoyment.H.

like M-Life? :D

imi
08-09-11, 08:33
How many clutches have you been through that period imi?, I have to say I am mighty impressed though! That would have drove me mad.

RPS Street - lasted 37K Miles (brilliant Clutch, unfortunately the single was perhaps too much for it).
Southbend Stage 3 - currently 4K Miles.

Mababalis
11-04-17, 17:04
Hi i know this forum is kinda old but i have a quastion is it hard to change a auto to manual (im not talking about how to do it im talking about finding the parts and the price)

Scooter
12-04-17, 14:32
Finding the parts used to be ok and reasonably priced, now it's very difficult and expensive.

SupraTRD_MK4
16-08-18, 07:40
Thread revival?

Do many of you reading this still believe the same as many did in the early post of this topic. I for one have not driven a supra yet but the manual does seem better but I hear alot from this topic with experience that auto is better. Guys in the drag scene are also now days opting for auto boxes from what I hear locally.
I do intend fitting the auto to mine as the model I have is an RZ auto TT model but I now have a W58 and all the parts to boot bare the master cylinder which can be had new from Mr T.
My aim is to go auto till I can push the limits on it or get tired of it and will then go manual but whether W58, CD009 or BMW M3/330d box who knows. Maybe even a 6spd as everyone wants one end of the day.
I do own an auto AMG model car with the semi auto like the late model vvti supras were equipped with, and though it isn't a manual, its a lovely car to drive with its auto 722.6 box for its time.
I guess you cant write them off that easily even though they are old school technology.

AJI
16-08-18, 09:24
I think as will always be the case is that for many it is a personal preference.
And this is because everyone wants and expects something different from their car.

I'm very much "old school" in that I enjoy the involvement of driving and view auto boxes as falling in to one of two categories.
(1) lazy driving (in a non-derogatory sense of the term)
(2) as a 'tool' for obtaining the quickest acceleration or lap time (especially the sequential or dual-clutch variants)

For me when I drive a sport car or a powerful sports GT, I'm looking for a 3-way connection between driver, car and road. There is no lap time to be obtained on the road and I'm not wishing for a computer to perform a gear change for me. But of course for others, their focus may be on pure 0-60 times at the expense of removing the driver connection. Or it maybe that they do a lot of town driving and are wishing to have a computer perform the gear changes.

The best practice is to go out and experience both gearboxes and decide firstly how you want your connection with the car to be and then judge how good either the manual or auto-boxes are in delivering that expectation.

AJI
16-08-18, 09:31
p.s.
Having given a 'balanced' reply above, just have to finish with saying that having experienced both auto and 6-speed manual gearboxes on the Supra, the 6-speed is by far the best box for the Supra given its weight, power and gear ratios.
I drove mine for a few years as a daily driver and then later on as a weekend toy and occasional track car at the Nurburgring etc. - not once was I wanting my control over the gearbox removed in preference for a computer ;)

But I would say though, that as power increases above 600bhp it means 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears go by in very quick succession, and a manual change can become too over worked if you are on "max. attack" - this is when I'd say many would be thinking of an auto-box to help them out. But then nobody is forcing you to go max attack ;)

SupraTRD_MK4
16-08-18, 14:15
Nice response mate. I appreciate it. Yeah I always viewed an auto as a car for a lazy person and I felt it in the opposite way that you mentioned it. But I see with traffic on high ways, it seems practical especially after a long day at work. However I also feel that it is better to have driver involvement. Will see what I do as time goes by. Car is still far from being completed.

Swampy442
22-08-18, 16:37
Interesting thread, and just like every other aspect of Supra ownership, its personal preference :)

A Supra is a GT car not a sports car, an auto box suits it perfectly, and I love mine for it. Yes its a 98 so has the 'tiptronic' buttons but I rarely use them mainly because of the 3 speed and the gaps between the gears are quite big.
Ive always maintained that moving a gearstick does not equate to driving nirvana, and I stand by that. In my opinion of course

rider
25-08-18, 09:57
I had a first drive in a Supra Auto only this week and was taken with how smooth the gear transitions are in general city driving. I own a 55 year old auto and a 10 year old auto car myself and they both are good drivers but for those lanes and fast B roads I'd take a manual out of preference for no other reason than gear changing when you time it spot on the sweet spot for engine and transmission in perfect harmony is a pleasure that you don't get involved with in an auto car.