Views on the auto versus the manual gearbox

Dark Angel

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love my auto, but.....having to hit the manual mode button to turn it on or off is starting to be a grind. Same with the overdrive button.....

Can someone make a nice little switch (like the greddy remote boost switch) that sits on either side of the steering wheel, one for overdrive, one for manual on/off :))

I love my auto, but.....having to hit the manual mode button to turn it on or off is starting to be a grind. Same with the overdrive button.....

Can someone make a nice little switch (like the greddy remote boost switch) that sits on either side of the steering wheel, one for overdrive, one for manual on/off :))

You could fit the (rather nice) steering wheel from a Tiptronic Supra and wire the buttons to the Manu and OD Off.

I got one for £40 from a breakers. It looks and feels great on my 93 RZ Auto. The buttons aren't doing anything but I did consider wiring them up to do what we're on about here. Either that or to do a couple of the stereo functions. Being the lazy git I am I never got around to doing either :)

FOR ME, the manual is NOT about track driving as I have no intentions of tracking my car. The sheer joy of being INVOLVED while poodling around town, A / B / M Roads in a manual makes the Auto less of a choice.

I have driven the Auto (9 supras before I bought mine) and its a cracking gearbox. Just too boring for a sportscar that is the supra.

If I wanted to be driven, then I'd get a Merc S500 and a driver. :D

What matters is that you are happy with whatever gearbox you decided to go for.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

keep away from autos they crap sluggish and they an old mans car.deffo get a manual 6 speed as they will make you feel the real driver extracting every ounce of performance.the auto u just put it in drive and press hard on the gas.autos are like a jag nice and smooth but not for the real true racer

hope that helps

imho

xxx

xx

x

been done loads of times before, i bought first supra i seen as i got a good part ex. i dont think i would like to start over again now cars slowly getting there. would like the manual as i bet it would feel more of a drivers car. always get same with people looking down on car because its an auto. more fool them ;-)

on a roll it would be close. off the mark the auto seems not brilliant. but then the manuals dont do much better they seem to struggle with grip.

if i was starting from scratch i would look for a manual. but happy with auto. a torque convertor and maybe an uprated box like sp400 or something simular would be good.

best thing to do is take a test drive in both and make your own mind up.

keep away from autos they crap sluggish and they an old mans car.deffo get a manual 6 speed as they will make you feel the real driver extracting every ounce of performance.the auto u just put it in drive and press hard on the gas.autos are like a jag nice and smooth but not for the real true racer

hope that helps

imho

xxx

xx

x

How time and experience makes a difference :)

• 3 weeks later...

If i was to buy a supra N/A - What MANUAL gearboxes are there to chose from? Because i have seen adverts saying Manual 4spd, 5spd and 6spd... Personally I would love a 6spd manual N/A but can you only get them in 5spd manuals? Damn i'm confused. And I want a N/A because i dont think i'd be able to handle the power of a TT yet :D Safely does it for me (till i get bored an crave a TT)

If i was to buy a supra N/A - What MANUAL gearboxes are there to chose from? Because i have seen adverts saying Manual 4spd, 5spd and 6spd... Personally I would love a 6spd manual N/A but can you only get them in 5spd manuals?

N/As were available in 5sp and 6sp. The older ones are 5sp only.

ps

It would have been better to start a new thread for this question rather than drag this old one up - no offense like, just saying.

• 2 months later...
Guest suprrrra

For those of you asking....I own a tiptronic supra and it is fantastic fun. I haven't driven a manual or the normal auto box, but had a 12 second auto car prior to the supra and it wasn't as fun as the tiptronic option. I ALWAYS have it in tiptronic mode...even if I'm just going around the corner....you feel like you are in COMPLETE control...no unexpected kickdowns or upshifts....just like a manual without all the work...just gets the job done...also keeps the engine boosted during the upshifts better than what a manual would do I think...:)

• 3 months later...
how is the n/a automatic?, there pretty cheap at the moment and im thinking of buying one, im not going to be racing it about or anything just driving for fun

N/a - can be auto or 5/6speed manual.

N/a is the non turbo version.

N/a - can be auto or 5/6speed manual.

N/a is the non turbo version.

the auto n/a is still around £1500 cheaper than the manual version. Theres one nearby for £3000 that im quite interested in but im wandering if there any flaws with automatic version of the n/a.

im wanting a n/a version since the turbo version would cost waaaaaaaaaaay too much for me to insure at the moment, maybe in a few years.

I drove an n/a auto and 5spd a few years back before I had got my TT. If I was in the market for an n/a ,I would go with the 5spd version. Not that the auto is bad or anything like that, its a darn good car for the money, just the N/a engine really needs to be manually driven to keep it in the powerband better IMHO.

If im honest when i bought mine (TT Auto) I really loved it, loved the box, the manual mode and the "Wall of endless acceleration" (:D)

Then I raced it at pod... felt really deflated with the way it felt when dragging it as getting off the line was an absolute bas#ard :(

I'd been racing in loads of manuals before and you get a real racers feel crunching it into gears as fast as you can etc etc. I didn't get the same feel with the auto and I felt really pissed off.

Then a few mods later and a bit of practise getting off the line and im back to being the cat whos got the cream in my auto.

If I was buying an N/A it would have to be a manual, but in a TT I think the auto box is awesome :D :cool: :D