The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Views on the auto versus the manual gearbox

Dark Angel

who knows after this thread there might be a big list of members wanting to do the manual to auto conversion and not the other way round....so there you have it folks...if your manual and youd like to change to auto then i'll take your gearboxes and all the bits off you for 500 pounds per kit;)

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If im honest when i bought mine (TT Auto) I really loved it, loved the box, the manual mode and the "Wall of endless acceleration" (:D)

Then I raced it at pod... felt really deflated with the way it felt when dragging it as getting off the line was an absolute bas#ard :(

I'd been racing in loads of manuals before and you get a real racers feel crunching it into gears as fast as you can etc etc. I didn't get the same feel with the auto and I felt really pissed off.

Then a few mods later and a bit of practise getting off the line and im back to being the cat whos got the cream in my auto.

If I was buying an N/A it would have to be a manual, but in a TT I think the auto box is awesome :D :cool: :D

What mods did you do Mark? Interested for Pod 08 possibly. :)

Good grief...is this debate still raging on?

In my mind it's simple.

You want a fun second car for track days, making big BHP, drag racing - buy a 6Spd.

If you want an easy everyday car for mild tuning with a bit of fun when you want it, buy a Tiptronic. ;)

• 1 month later...
never had a auto meself .bloody great fan no messin wiv gears and i dont spill me coffe now
Huh? What was that about a fan?

Would you mind writing your posts in English please mate? Life's too short for me to have to figure out what the hell you were trying to say.

Thanks.

• 7 months later...

Auto for me except for one problem.. power limits. It's not happy above 500bhp, and in my BPU UK car, (which did feel shockingly fast on second turbo compared to my BPU Jap car) the box started slipping already (obviously nowhere near 500bhp..)

I drove a 5spd N/A for a while and I couldn't get to grips with the box or clutch. Hard to describe it but felt like a heavy flywheel combined with funny pedal angle/travel/weight. Just wasn't such a smooth drive and I couldn't just throw it in the next gear uber-fast like say most of the other manuals I've driven.

Ah, that old chestnut, I have an auto.

If I want to be a stick wiggler and pretend that makes me faster, I take a stick of celery and every time I put my foot down I give it a shake. Same result and if I'm hungry i've got something to nibble. :)

by far the damn funniest thing ive heard all day- so far lol! love it! auto box all the way! (but when i get another supe il get a manu, just for aguments sake lol)

I drove a 5spd N/A for a while and I couldn't get to grips with the box or clutch. Hard to describe it but felt like a heavy flywheel combined with funny pedal angle/travel/weight. Just wasn't such a smooth drive and I couldn't just throw it in the next gear uber-fast like say most of the other manuals I've driven.

What 5 speed did you drive?:blink: i've driven a few (including mine) and they're fine. Now i've got the 5 speed with a TT lump and still feels smooth ;)

Anyway Auto's are for fat lazy americans who don't know what a clutch is....lol :p

Only Joking ;) Before someone bites my head off :D

• 2 years later...

The autos look fast, no dought, also everyone raves about the auto box, but that six manual is a strong old box!!!! I want a car I can have fun in at weekends and I know I will get that in a manual, only doing 50 miles a week. Also I don't want to say it cos it's petty!!!!

Autos sound bent!!!!!!!

Deep breaths, I said it!!!!!

The autos look fast, no dought, also everyone raves about the auto box, but that six manual is a strong old box!!!! I want a car I can have fun in at weekends and I know I will get that in a manual, only doing 50 miles a week. Also I don't want to say it cos it's petty!!!!

Autos sound bent!!!!!!!

Deep breaths, I said it!!!!!

:search: couple of minor points re your excellent post ....

How can an Auto supra 'look' faster than a manual?

And

How does the Auto supra 'sound' bent?