• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
And what does "bent" sound like?

I see this thread is still alive.

To provoke some further reactions....... I think I can see where he got this line of thinking from. Basically if you try to copy the sound of an Auto with your voice (as you do)....it does sound a bit " :gayfight: " ;)

(If you focus on the point of gear change that is)

:p

:hide:

• 4 weeks later...

i do alot of miles with my job in a manual van so iv done so much cog swaping, clutch mashing my knees hurt. dont think id ever buy a manual anything now. and the supra auto box is mint. just slip it in 2 for the twistys bits then d for the straights with over drive and its bang on. i would like a tiptronic just to play about with but im not upset iv not got it. my mechanic brother in law had ago an he was very impressed we the responsiveness, said it was definatly one of the best hes ever come across

• 2 weeks later...

I'm considering a third Supra in around six months, when I've finished the rex and can sell it as a finished job. This time I think I want a manual though so that I can do the Dukes of Hazard shit that I love doing in my rex, but also so that I can have a similar or greater power to weight ratio than I have at the moment, so I'm thinking of an eventual 500 - 550 fwhp single, which kind of rules out the autobox anyway, or it does for me anyway because it's not a risk I would take.

Can I have some opinions on what the v160 is like to live with? I know the standard description is "agricultural", but I'm not really sure what that means.

I'm considering a third Supra in around six months, when I've finished the rex and can sell it as a finished job. This time I think I want a manual though so that I can do the Dukes of Hazard shit that I love doing in my rex, but also so that I can have a similar or greater power to weight ratio than I have at the moment, so I'm thinking of an eventual 500 - 550 fwhp single, which kind of rules out the autobox anyway, or it does for me anyway because it's not a risk I would take.

Can I have some opinions on what the v160 is like to live with? I know the standard description is "agricultural", but I'm not really sure what that means.

It's fine for me. I've had the car for 7 or 8 months now and not once have I been fed up with it.

It's a bit clunky at first but after 5 miles or so of driving, after it's warmed up, it's completely fine. To me it feels more mechanical and a more precise gear change than manual cars I've owned before (not that they can be compared).

Try one out before you buy :)

I am a TT6 owner, the box is a bit clunky when cold, but fine when it is warmed up.. The shifting action is quite solid on the car, but considering how strong the box it is very easy to drive...Even my wife drives the car without complaints...

I have not been in an auto Supra but for me its more exciting to drive a manual car.. Although in Japan's busy roads, an auto is pretty convenient..

The other Getrag cars I have driven (E46 M3, E30 325iS) have also been pretty heavy duty and also sound like a bad of bolts at time, think thats how they build them...

Josh is right, best is to try them out as everybodys preference is different..

It's just that I didn't really realise how much I could dislike a gearbox until I got my Tremec T56, which is also super-strong, and easy and cheap to service too when it does break. Those are nice properties to have, but I'm trying to figure out if the v16x is much of an improvement on it.

You are building a 6.0L LS2 lump into a RX7 and your worried about the manual box being a bit clunky? :D

It's been on the road a year. The issues are all NVH related now and have been for some time! It's pretty refined now but still a way to go :)

The first year of driving was all novelty. Now the trim vibrations / buzzes irritate me, and the gearbox is really grumpy. To be honest I'm more wound up with trim and road / suspension noises than the grumpy gearbox lately! This week has been a happy week though. I obviously did something right to it at the weekend (rear hatch rattles, spherical bearings).

An A343E T.T. auto is good for 550ishbhpftlb and can be picked up from £0 to £200, which makes it the best bang for your buck box.

Convert it to A340E N/A hydraulics, use a Suprastick standalone ECU and have Auto & Manualised control.

:sly: Up to 550 horses to play with, :senile: easy in traffic, drivingskid.gif great fun on the run :think: and £2.5k or so better off than going Getrag. :thumbs:

Edited by David P (see edit history)

An A343E T.T. auto is good for 550ishbhpftlb and can be picked up from £0 to £200, which makes it the best bang for your buck box.

Convert it to A340E N/A hydraulics, use a Suprastick standalone ECU and have Auto & Manualised control.

:sly: Up to 550 horses to play with, :senile: easy in traffic, [ATTACH=CONFIG]138552[/ATTACH] great fun on the run :think: and £2.5k or so better off than going Getrag. :thumbs:

I would miss the ease of lighting up the wheels from a standstill that I have with the manual car, although I do miss the spaceship like changes from the autobox. It's definitely immortalised in my mind as the best auto box/car I've ever driven.

I've had two auto TT Supras though already so I have a reasonable idea what they're like to drive and their benefits and limitations.

I'm not convinced at all that 550 ft/lb could be put through one without a good chance of failure / massively shortened lifespan either, but besides, my main concern is as above.

My first auto TT was a UK one that felt like it made a lot of power and torque (compared to my later BPUish J-spec car), at ~18 psi on the standard (steel) twins. The autobox on that car had started to slip on WOT 2-3 changes a little while before I crashed the car.