The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The mkiv Supra Owners Club Southern Counties Gumball 2005

mawby

The mkiv Supra Owners Club Southern Counties Gumball 2005

Following on from the great success of the last two years Gumballs, we are aiming to make this years even bigger and better! This years route will be longer, stretch much further across the South, and will have fewer stops.

The idea behind the Gumball is to allow as many people as possible to meet up from different locations across the South. There will be a set start and end point, with a couple of stops in between. People can join the convoy at any point, and break off for home when they feel like it. The hard core amongst us can do the whole route!

If you need persuading then check out the following links...

2004 Gumball Thread

2004 Gumball Photos

2004 Gumball Video

2003 Gumball Thread

2003 Gumball Photos

2003 Gumball Video

Details

This years event will be split over two weekends. Saturday the 20th of August will be the Western part of the Gumball, covering areas including Wiltshire, Somerset, Devon, Dorset and Hampshire. Then on Saturday the 3rd of September will see the Gumball go through the Eastern counties, namely Surrey, Kent and Sussex. Detials of the intended route and stopping points can be found here.

If you are intenting to join the Western half of the event then please add your name to the list here. If you are wanting to join the Eastern half then please add your name to this list.

Unfortunately due to me not owning a Supra anymore I wont be attending this event this year. I hope all those that attend have just as much fun as we have in the past!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

BIG thanks to Mawby for taking the time to sort this event out, it would not be the same without a GUMBALL or two. I hope more people can attend on Saturday as this is one day not to miss especially if you enjoy a convoy with many other supra's :D

Right, the Western half is approaching fast so time to lay down the rules! :)

As I wont be attending this year (unless I use my Rover as a pace car to slow you lot down!) I have asked if Andy & Susan (aka Mr T) will help keep the event organised on the day, and they have agreed. Many thanks to them for accepting. I chose them as they have been to both previous Gumballs and so know what to expect (tractors, Micras etc!) and because they know the start area pretty well, and will hopefully be able to re-route the Gumball if there is heavy traffic.

Their role will be to make any decisions about the Gumball on the day. This will include the following...

• Making sure people know how to get to the next stop
  • Trying to organise petrol stops as needed
  • Re-routing the Gumball should the set route be causing problems for any reason
  • Deciding when it is time to leave each stop
  • Deciding if any stops should be skipped due to the Gumball running late
  • Reminding you all that it is NOT a race!
  • Having the casting vote for any other decisions.

They will not be responsible for your actions! Attendance to this event is done at your own risk. You take responsibility for your own actions and agree to indemnify the organisers of this event against any claims arising from your actions. The organisers in no way encourage the use of excessive speed during this event.

The general idea behind the Gumball is to get a nice line of Supras in convoy travelling along a wide variety of roads, from fast motorways with the chance to blow away the cobwebs from the second turbo, to twisty country lanes that demonstrate the Supra is more than capable of being thrown around corners. However, the most imprtant factor is safety! Just because the convoy seems to be speeding does not mean you have to. If previous years are anything to go by then they will soon get slowed down by traffic and you can catch up at a more sensible speed. If at any point you feel you're getting tired then just make a break for home, although it is better if you can do this at a stop so the others know what has happend to you and don't go looking for you.

Also remember that if you know the area the Gumball is going through well and know of road works or other problems, or know of a better route, then let Mr T know so they can decide if to change the route. You may also want to head the convoy to prevent any wrong turns being taken etc.

So, for those that haven't been before here's a few things to remember about driving in a convoy...

• Always prepare for an exit or junction well in advace. Leaving it till the last minute and then shooting across lanes to an exit is no good as those behind you may not make it.
  • Signal well in advance! It may take a while for that signal to reach the end of the convoy.
  • Leave enough room in front of you! Although not to big a gab that too many other drivers pull in and break up the convoy.
  • If you see someone is getting left behind because of traffic then flash the car in front. This tells the driver in front to slow down, and if the car in front of them starts to dissapear then they should do the same until the others have caught up.
  • If you know people have been left behind and you find a suitable lay by large enough then pull into it and wait.
  • Always remember that whatever you do someone behind you will be following so don't do anything dangerous!

And finally, some tips for keeing the convoy in a convoy (if safe to do so at the time)...

• If (for example) you are on a dual carriage way that narrows into a single lane, and there is heavy traffic and you can't all merge at the same time, when someone at the fronts pulls in they should slow down to allow the rest of the convoy to pull in front of them.
  • If a roundabout is causing problems (single lane ones) then someone towards the front should go right around the roundabout and then allow the others to join in front of them.
  • In short, help each other out if you can!

I hope you all have an enjoyable time!

I'm not sure whether Keith and I are taking one or two at the moment, if we take two and you don't mind getting yourself over to my house you can be aerotopped (which now means it will probably rain!) :)

thank you :thumbs: let me know if oyu ore taking 1 or 2, I'll happily chip in for petrol.

Have added my name now I have the Supra back!! :D (although exhaust has been refitted too low and I'm hitting speed bumps :( )

Unfortunatley I can't do the entire trip as I have 2 previously planned things happening on Saturday :thumbdown , but I'm going with the 'head in the sand' approach and hope that things will sort themselves out. Hope to be with the convoy up to Minehead

J

All hail our new leaders MR T & Susan..

I can assure you that we will treat you with the utmost repect. :nyah: :nyah: :nyah:

Does this mean you buy all the drinks ???

PS... TAKE YOUR TWO WAYS - I KNOW THEY ARE CRAP BUT IT MAY ADD TO THE FUN....

All hail our new leaders MR T & Susan..

I can assure you that we will treat you with the utmost repect. :nyah: :nyah: :nyah:

Does this mean you buy all the drinks ???

Did Mawby forget to mention it is tradition that the "leaders" are supplied with food & drinks, throughout the course of the day, by the rest of the pack! :read: :read: :D