The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Daily Drive Luxury/GT Sports car opinions, maybe RS6

jevansio

I'm really after a bit of a discussion on the various luxury/gt cars that I could get as a daily drive.

I have previously had a Jaguar XJ V8, which I thought was a great car, a fantasic smooth drive, but slightly under powered.

I also had the P38 Range Rover 4.6 V8 Vouge, which again was an excellent ride, great load capacity, and the 4WD was a great bonus.

I'm looking to spend a bit more than those 2 and am looking at around £15k.

I have looked at the CL600 in detail over the last coulple of days, but have been put off by tales of extremely high running costs (not petrol - fixing it when it breaks).

The new RR V8 is high on my list as it is a great all rounder, but I would like a bit more performance if I can.

So what is the RS6 like comfort wise? It is 4WD, large load bay in avant form, looks subtle, looks nice inside, has tuning potential should I choose, & has great performance, but is the ride smooth enough? Anyone who has been in one would appreciate the feedback.

Also same question as above for the new M5, it doesn't have 4WD, but the fact it's a V10 is a massive + for me, the more cylinders the better as far as I'm concerned.

Any other feedback on this group of luxury cars that was A LOT of money new, but due to fuel & service costs can be picked up at a fraction of the price, I'd like to hear from people who have owned them & give 1st hand experience of running them (service & fixing)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it possible to get an rs6 for 15k?

Prolly not, but I would push the budget up for one of those maybe, to £18k like:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1912513.htm

http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/aimg/1912/1912513-1.jpg

Again the M5 would take even more money, but I would just have to put it off and save up.

Something like a Jag XJR could be had for a lot less which is obviously a massive plus for the Jag even though it isn't in the same league as the M5.

The RS6/M5 also scores highly on the tunability as there isn;t a lot available for the Jag/RR (unless I went RR Supercharged, but again that is a lot more money, longer wait :rolleyes:)

I had an E55 AMG and it was amazing but it was expensive when it went wrong as the parts are not cheap, such power for so little money though

The 740i BMW I had was great fun and a wonderful GT car

I would cruise all day long in the Vette and a C5 must be worth a look, the 928 is also a possibility as a quirky option

I also like the last M5 or the 840i all would give you change from 15K

Maybe a classic Camaro ?

You could get a Bentley for 15K as well, some great cars in Classic car mag, N reg Brooklands Bentley 15K, wot wot

Loads of interesting stuff out there

all good choices. My godfather has a xj jag and used to have the v8 model and it was a beauty, definitely a valid choice all though some can look a bit of an old mans car. depends on colour n extras n stuff!

allthough i would personally prefer the rs6. great car!

Jag XJ is a great car, it's my kind of car I would love to take to work again, Rachel hates them though, calls them old mans cars :D

The garage where i service my car has two Rs6's for sale, he spent £3,000 on top spec suspension as it's a common fault for their suspension to go early on ! wouldn't have thought that considering the price tag and reputation audi has :search:

But must say wot a ride after he changed everything over , absolutely blistering speed and ride , worth looking into these cars ! he's got a 03 & 04 plate going for £17,000 i think different specs , but has said the one has £3,000 worth of new suspension

if you'd like a link to his garage feel free to p'm me !

I had an E55 AMG and it was amazing but it was expensive when it went wrong as the parts are not cheap, such power for so little money though

The 740i BMW I had was great fun and a wonderful GT car

I would cruise all day long in the Vette and a C5 must be worth a look, the 928 is also a possibility as a quirky option

I also like the last M5 or the 840i all would give you change from 15K

Maybe a classic Camaro ?

You could get a Bentley for 15K as well, some great cars in Classic car mag, N reg Brooklands Bentley 15K, wot wot

Loads of interesting stuff out there

I'm kinda loosing faith in MB the more I read on them, it seems the cars that are in my price range even suffer from corrosion, that to me is unacceptable, although I still really fancy the CL600 Bi Turbo, but I would kick myself if it ended up costing me £££££ and being off the road (it's my daily drive so I couldn't suffer that)

The Vette could be a DD, but I'm getting the 928 wouldn't cut it unless I'm lucky. I need the car to start in all weather and be fine in the snow.

Lol, was looking at Turbo Rs this week at work, I think that IS just a bit too old man for me :D, I'm only 35 :D

The garage where i service my car has two Rs6's for sale, he spent £3,000 on top spec suspension as it's a common fault for their suspension to go early on ! wouldn't have thought that considering the price tag and reputation audi has :search:

But must say wot a ride after he changed everything over , absolutely blistering speed and ride , worth looking into these cars ! he's got a 03 & 04 plate going for £14,000 i think different specs , but has said the one has £3,000 worth of new suspension

if you'd like a link to his garage feel free to p'm me !

PM coming

When I draw up a list, the RS6 does tick a lot of boxes, I'm just trying to find if they have any hidden gremlins (as I was all for the CL600 until I started reading a MB forum :D)

I'm kinda loosing faith in MB the more I read on them, it seems the cars that are in my price range even suffer from corrosion, that to me is unacceptable, although I still really fancy the CL600 Bi Turbo, but I would kick myself if it ended up costing me £££££ and being off the road (it's my daily drive so I couldn't suffer that)

The Vette could be a DD, but I'm getting the 928 wouldn't cut it unless I'm lucky. I need the car to start in all weather and be fine in the snow.

Lol, was looking at Turbo Rs this week at work, I think that IS just a bit too old man for me :D, I'm only 35 :D

35 lol, i am 38 and love the Bentley, I will have one for sure, they have such quality, and have such class, still 10MPG could hurt as a daily driver !

Sierra Cosworth, do it up then sell it to me as I am having a hard time finding a nice one for good money b!

I would probably aim for an M5 if it were me. I don't like BMW's at all but the M5 just has something really prestige and special about it.

Yip, I do like the look of the M5, it's the most expensive of the cars I like, it's in 3rd place at the mo.

No personal experience but a colleague was in a similar boat to yours & mentioned this,

though you may have to push your budget slightly... worth it though ;)

How hot would this look on your driveway!

Plus side it is a V12 :D

I view the AMs as more of a weekend toy though, but I would love to own a V12 at some point in my life :D

35 lol, i am 38 and love the Bentley, I will have one for sure, they have such quality, and have such class, still 10MPG could hurt as a daily driver !

Sierra Cosworth, do it up then sell it to me as I am having a hard time finding a nice one for good money b!

I would love to see Rachels face if I pulled up on a Bently :D

Sierra would have to be a big fin job and they're RWD, I don't like the sapphires as much, I think it's more a weekend toy car again

sorry updated price , £17,000 not £14,000 as stated !

Still, it's within reach, has nobody on the forum defected to an RS6 after leaving the Supra?

I'm looking to spend a bit more than those 2 and am looking at around £15k.

The new RR V8 is high on my list as it is a great all rounder, but I would like a bit more performance if I can.

Jay mate, in all honesty, I would be looking to spend around the 25k-mark to get the right Rangey with low miles and a more recent plate.

The cheaper ones will cost you in the long run - I promise you. As I said in your for sale thread, go for nothing before the 2005 facelift model due to engine issues - these things are juicy and the repair costs are sky high at the best of times.

If you want power then go for the 400BHP 4.2 Supercharged model which has plenty of spurt, as does a 4.4 Petrol.

I use my Rangey very rarely but 10,000 miles will take you for 4.5k per year in fuel alone (4.4 V8)

EDIT: If you drive it hard then add 1k more.

Not helping much I know but the Carb Ferrari 328 is the top of my must have classic list, hope this years bonus cuts it :D

What about a Porsche Cayenne

I'd alway put RR > Cayenne, there's not many of the Jeep offering from other manufactures (esp German) I like, maybe a Hummer :D

I have an Audi S4 as my daily driver mate, 4.2 V8 340bhp.

Superb car, 4wd, loads grunt and a very nice drive:)

How the ride bud, comfortable enough?

How the ride bud, comfortable enough?

Its a lovely car to drive mate, cant fault it, Very comftable when cruising, has all the toys, and when i want to push on a bit its superb. i can imagine the V8 RS4 is an amazing car if my S4 is anything to go by.