The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whifbits na/t turbo kit. - anyone tried it ?

herbiemercman

I am interested in buying the whifbits turbo kit for my 1995 mk4 supra, the engine is the 2JZ - GE, and the W59 manual gearbox, i bought the car new and it has covered 50,000 miles.

The kit i am interested in costs £2,700 inc.vat. and in the description it states that "straight out of the box" as a bolt on turbo kit it will boost the the power of the engine from the stock 220bhp to 364bhp. It goes on to say this will give you a seriously fast responsive car etc. It goes on to list other optional extras, to mod the ecu and clutch etc.

My question is do any members know from experience or info from a friend etc, CAN I GET THE 364 BHP WITH THIS BASIC KIT.? WITHOUT THE CLUTCH UPGRADE OR THE ECU MODS. ?

I am asking this as i have received contradicting opinions, especially about the need to replace the clutch, i would avoid taxing the clutch, but some say the kit will not work without it, if this is the case, then the claim that the kit gives 364bhpn straight out of the box is misleading. If the kit will do what they claim for £2,700 then i would buy one. Any comments will be much appreciated. herbiemercman.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not 100% about the clutch, but I don't think an NA clutch will handle such an upgrade.

The ECU is 100% necessary. The stock ECU can't be remapped, so an upgrade of some kind is necessary. A well mapped piggyback will do the job. Whifbitz should be able to supply and map a suitable one for you.

The torque will chew the clutch up in no time. If you don't fit one you'll only have to do it at a later date. When the engine is pulled out to drill the sump this will be the perfect time to replace it.

You need to research this thoroughly. Even with the essential ECU and Clutch upgrades in place you still are reaching your gearbox limits if you are hard on the transmission. Factor the cost of the ECU and clutch in and a LSD if you haven't got one and then after all that imagine being faced with a broken gearbox where your choices are another used W58/9 (with almost certainly more miles than yours) or a 6 speed which is very expensive.

If you are happy with the clutch and ECU cost on top I'd be tempted personally to run a very conservative boost that gives stock TT power. It'll still feel like a hell of a power upgrade whilst giving the gearbox every chance of surviving long term.

The kit isn't misleading as the engine will produce 360bhp, but the clutch will slip, if it were a N/A 6 speed the clutch would be fine. Not sure if a piggyback ecu is included with the kit but would be needed, your best bet is to ring Paul Whiffin and talk to him, he will be able to advise you properly.

I am interested in buying the whifbits turbo kit for my 1995 mk4 supra, the engine is the 2JZ - GE, and the W59 manual gearbox, i bought the car new and it has covered 50,000 miles.

The kit i am interested in costs £2,700 inc.vat. and in the description it states that "straight out of the box" as a bolt on turbo kit it will boost the the power of the engine from the stock 220bhp to 364bhp. It goes on to say this will give you a seriously fast responsive car etc. It goes on to list other optional extras, to mod the ecu and clutch etc.

My question is do any members know from experience or info from a friend etc, CAN I GET THE 364 BHP WITH THIS BASIC KIT.? WITHOUT THE CLUTCH UPGRADE OR THE ECU MODS. ?

I am asking this as i have received contradicting opinions, especially about the need to replace the clutch, i would avoid taxing the clutch, but some say the kit will not work without it, if this is the case, then the claim that the kit gives 364bhp straight out of the box is misleading. If the kit will do what they claim for £2,700 then i would buy one. Any comments will be much appreciated. herbiemercman.

Many thanks to you all for you quick replies, you are telling me what i did not want to hear, which is for the kit to work you are looking at circa £4,000, so i cannot see why they say what they do, IMHO it is bad marketing as they are misleading prospective buyers, they should say the kit with the essential parts for it to work is £4,000, NOT £2,700, they are sort of luring you in, cannot think what confidence i would have in their after sales service, they seem very good at the technical stuff, but IMHO very poor on sales marketing. How can you say "OUR KIT WILL DO THIS AND THAT" AND IT IS TOTALY UNTRUE,they need to alter the wording or alter the asking price to £4,000. Many thanks again for your help. herbiemercman.

In my opinion there is only one option when you look into going NA-T, and that's going to Craig.

He's on here as dr_jekyll and has done more NA-T conversions than I can count and it will be allot cheaper.

The kit isn't misleading as the engine will produce 360bhp, but the clutch will slip, if it were a N/A 6 speed the clutch would be fine. Not sure if a piggyback ecu is included with the kit but would be needed, your best bet is to ring Paul Whiffin and talk to him, he will be able to advise you properly.

Hi Justin, Paul Whiffin's advert states that for £2,700 straight out of the box will give a 360 bhp on a standard mk4 na supra, this is not true, it is a low price to lure people in as to do the job properly, as well he knows you need another £1,500 for the clutch and ecu stuff. Let's be honest their advert is based on somone like me owning a standard 220bhp, so it is no use saying ah well if you have a six speed box or you have allready upgraded your clutch and ecu, then it is £2,700, it's a piss take, this lot are technicall but IMHO they are trying to mislead us, not a good idea as i would question their integrity and with after sales service would not expect a lot from them, i am not familiar with this company, and i will stand corrected, but their sales front is not right. Yes i am disappointed as i at first thought i would buy their kit at £2,700, but it turned out to be like tesco "buy one get one free", people weigh them up in the end. herbiemercman.

Hi Tooquick, If turbo kits have always been sold like this then that must make it ok. ? Not for me, the advert is a "piss take", they do not mention things that are broken or the clutch has been upgraded etc, they say "FOR £2,700 YOU CAN SORT YOUR CAR", it's like tesco, "buy one get one free", just like the net, you put all your details in for an attractive free deal and then right at the end it's 50 dollars, it's not the way to do business, it may work for knuckleheads but not for me, these people are well technical but not credible IMHO. Let's be honest a company with the right credentials would say their turbo kit is £4,000 for you to fit, and this includes a heavy duty clutch and a ecu upgrade, also point out that your gearbox may not last long. However with the politicians and bankers etc we just have to get used to this, NO ! !. herbiemercman.

Lol someone needs a chill pill or a nosh, not sure on which, my advice would be stay away from na-t kits and just buy a tt engine and uprated clutch, drop it in all for less money than the turbo kit alone, have 400bhp on tap and not have to worry about ecu/mapping and all the other small but expensive parts needed for na-t the fact the engine needs to come out for na-t to drill the sump swings it towards a tt lump everytime.

Whilst it may not answer you initial question, I think anything but what you want to hear is the wrong answer anyway ;)

Many thanks mason, i have a black supra and i assume welsh like you. herbiemercman.

Not too sure of my origin, my father is either billy ocean, the milkman or the asian attendant at the severn bridge in 1983

Many thanks safcdixon, I agree, it's just that my beast is from new and in mint condition, BUT my brother bought the tt at the same time and he always says mine is the "slow model", i neievely was lured by wiffbits into thinking i could shut my brother up with the wiffbits £2,700 kit, it was not the case, they have plenty of customers and i have read their customer's crap chat, easy money, but not for me, your is the right answer, but as you say, not what i want to hear.

I will never forgive toyota for making the na's, it's a bit like people with big muscles who cannot fight when required, my car is mint, but you eventually get pissed off with modern day diesel snot boxes blowing you off. herbiemercman.

You could always keep your na engine and replace in the future if you wanted to do things like concours shows or something, it's literally only a few wires in the fuse box to swap, there would be less affected by a tt swap then a na-t conversion, a tt swap would take a weekend aslong as everypart needed was at hand, a na-t conversion on the other hand could take weeks/months trying to get it working perfect

Safcdixon is right about what way to go (if any) although the gearbox will always be the problem at some point.

This is the problem with tuning in general let alone a NA- it's not practical or cost effective.

I spent ages wasting my time considering doing this or that to it. The numbers for tuning NA's don't add up to hold power and have a reliable car. The cheapest way to pull it off would probably see you end up in a DavidP auto box with a Jekyll budget NA-T kit.

Personally if your car is in great shape now and low mileage, I would take the chance to sell it for as much as you can get and put it towards a true TT in a guise Toyota intended. If it's the difference in the money from £2700-4000 being the problem then I wouldn't change a thing. Josh42 did a NA-T kit and his gearbox went.

As stated before you need a backup fund- nothing good get's built on a shoestring budget (which is why I never bothered either) as it would be devastating to find out you need A,B,C now replacing after closer inspection...... you also need to get the NA-T kit mapped too.

- - - Updated - - -

You could always keep your na engine and replace in the future if you wanted to do things like concours shows or something, it's literally only a few wires in the fuse box to swap, there would be less affected by a tt swap then a na-t conversion, a tt swap would take a weekend aslong as everypart needed was at hand, a na-t conversion on the other hand could take weeks/months trying to get it working perfect

Jamie P would buy your old engine for a boat anchor.

I dont understand whats misleading about it

It clearly lists all the extras on the right hand side

And in the add it states

Optional extras include:

Greddy Emanage Blue and 3 bar map sensor or you can provide your own ecu solution. The emanage blue is available with our own base map so your kit litterally becomes plug and play, we do advise it is checked on a dyno to make sure the fueling and ignition settings are correct for your car.

As part of the kit we can also supply a Greddy Emanage ecu with bolt on adaptor loom to plug straight into your standard ecu, no wiring needed! We can also supply the kit with a map already loaded on to the Greddy Emanage for a totally bolt on kit, we still advise the setup to be checked to make sure the boost levels and engine parameters are all correct though.

Leave na's out of this. They are just an innocent party! Lol :D

NA's are as much fun as being shafted in the arse.

- - - Updated - - -

I find with my NA that if I ignore anything over a 1.4 wanting a dabble it's fine lol, still searching for that Robin Reliant for a rematch

Did it win badly?