The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New MOT rules

Mad Hatter

I apologise if this is old news but I've just been informed by my local indy, not only of my mot failure but the reason why ...

As the car has no cat anymore it is now an immediate failure! [sHOCK][/sHOCK]

He wasn't lying either https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/275427/mot-special-notice-1-2014.pdf

So having spent all week, cleaning, changing bits, de-rusting, oiling, scrubbing some more, getting the f'ing thing to start, run and drive as I remember it once did. It bloody fails because the second cat is missing.

Now having walked home in the pissing rain leaving the car in the shop so I can dig through my garage and hope I didn't throw the cat out.

Just thought you should all know.

The tester said it applies to both petrol or diesel.

Cat for petrol, part' filter for diesel.

The simple rule is, if you have removed it then the MOT is an instant fail. no getting around it I'm afraid.

He also mentioned that the company on the same industrial estate who offer the diesel dfp removal are about to go out of business because of it ... not happy.

If the DPF is obviously removed or has been opened up and welded back together, it's a fail.

Petrol Cat removal only applies where a full Cat test is required. I.e. 2JZ-GE Supra is exempt from a full cat test before 1st August '95. Recieves a pre cat test, therefore a catalyst doesn't have to be present.

The tester said it applies to both petrol or diesel.

Cat for petrol, part' filter for diesel.

The simple rule is, if you have removed it then the MOT is an instant fail. no getting around it I'm afraid.

He also mentioned that the company on the same industrial estate who offer the diesel dfp removal are about to go out of business because of it ... not happy.

Go back and slap him

Then tell him to learn his job and to do it properly.

That article is for diesels only, hence it says diesel on it.

There is another section for petrol cars.

I'll go to the DfT on this and see what they say.

I'd be over the moon if you're right!

He was adamant that the wording is"catalyst" and "particulate on diesel cars" and not "catalyst and particulate" on diesel cars. Massive difference between the two, though I do agree the wording is very poor.

It doesn't change the fact that he has put into the computer that the cat has been removed, the test stopped with an instant fail.... we're in the world that the computer said no and the MOT tested is little more than a trained monkey following a checklist.

At this point I would really love a MOT trained member to set the record straight ... anyone?

TT ... pretty standard besides the suck and blow being less restricted.

I put a fair bit of work through my indy so though i'd never like to tell him how to do his job, if there were a sheet of paper saying he has the wrong end of the stick and it is for diesels only I'd happily bring it to his attention.

(and get my car back)

Ok, i've found what I didn't want to see .. i think he is right.

http://www.partinfo.co.uk/files/VOSA%20Inspection%20Manual%20Classes%203%204%205%20&%207.pdf

Section 7.1 simply says that a catalytic converter mission where one was fitted as standard is a reason for rejection (MOT fail)

it doesn't mention anything regarding petrol or diesel...

If the DPF is obviously removed or has been opened up and welded back together, it's a fail.

Petrol Cat removal only applies where a full Cat test is required. I.e. 2JZ-GE Supra is exempt from a full cat test before 1st August '95. Recieves a pre cat test, therefore a catalyst doesn't have to be present.

HTH.

HTH.

Well, I'm glad that, at the very least, someone agrees with me! :D

More like this...

My 97 failed for not having a CAT only 4 weeks ago. Put the first CAT back in down the road and brought it back. Instant pass..!!

It is still as clear as mud to me. Mine has failed for the same reason, so unless I can show the garage a vosa/dft/mot rules type document that shows they have performed the test incorrectly, then no cat still means an instant fail.

I appreciate the help from everyone, Benjy seems to know his stuff .... Is there a doc you can point me to that I can shove under their nose and get my car back?