The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New MOT rules

Mad Hatter

So all TT supras need a cat to pass the,,,,,,, MOT.,,,,, is that right ,,,,BENJY

Technically, yes. Unless you can prove that the J-Spec TT is tuned differently to UK TT Supra's. In which case, the details held on the gas analyzer aren't an EXACT match, and thus, any TT

TT's > 01/08/1995 are subject to a cat test but have to meet a higher limit, so may well pass the emissions test if it's on a lean map, but should technically fail on cat removal. Unless the exhaust is covered. Can't see it, can't fail it.

Technically, yes. Unless you can prove that the J-Spec TT is tuned differently to UK TT Supra's. In which case, the details held on the gas analyzer aren't an EXACT match, and thus, any TT

TT's > 01/08/1995 are subject to a cat test but have to meet a higher limit, so may well pass the emissions test if it's on a lean map, but should technically fail on cat removal. Unless the exhaust is covered. Can't see it, can't fail it.

Hold on, you said that my '94 need to have a cat to pass but you're saying here that any TT earlier that aug '95 (like mine) doesn't need a cat fitted ... ?

I do like the "can't see it, can't fail it" mantra. maybe I should design a complete under vehicle tray that you tie on just to annoy the tester hehe

Hold on, you said that my '94 need to have a cat to pass but you're saying here that any TT earlier that aug '95 (like mine) doesn't need a cat fitted ... ?

I do like the "can't see it, can't fail it" mantra. maybe I should design a complete under vehicle tray that you tie on just to annoy the tester hehe

IF you can prove it's tuned differently to a UK spec, which is the engine described by the 2JZ-GTE code held on the gas analyzer.

Uk's have EGR, different turbo's, bigger injectors...

IF you can prove it's tuned differently to a UK spec, which is the engine described by the 2JZ-GTE code held on the gas analyzer.

Uk's have EGR, different turbo's, bigger injectors...

Right, I get ya ... this guy though being a decent bloke is at the intelligence level to accept what ever the computer tells him and the law book. All round it'll just be easier to put the cat back on and cross my fingers lol.

Thanks for the insight Benjy!

It is still as clear as mud to me. Mine has failed for the same reason, so unless I can show the garage a vosa/dft/mot rules type document that shows they have performed the test incorrectly, then no cat still means an instant fail.

I appreciate the help from everyone, Benjy seems to know his stuff .... Is there a doc you can point me to that I can shove under their nose and get my car back?

There are a couple of different issues getting mixed up here which is muddying the waters slightly.

1. The document that you have quoted is stating that without a CAT your car is an instant fail. This appears open to interpretation as I read it being for Diesel vehicles only, the fact that it says Catalyst or DPF is still referring to diesels, as they still had a CAT in them prior to DPF technology.... they were just different. In this instance, if your car has a CAT removed from it, and IMO if it's a diesel, your car fails before I even take a reading from the exhaust.

2. If your car requires a CAT test (Debateable, but both opinions are plausible) then it gets the exhaust gas from the exhaust measured and compared to a table for your engine. If it passes the readings on said table it's a pass.... regardless of whether or not a CAT is present. In Havards case he needed the CAT in to pass the emmisions test, not to pass the "Do you have a CAT attached to your car" test.

Both are very different scenarios. The second scenario has been around for years and different MOT stations have different opinions, the same as different cars get different results in the emmisions tests with and without CATS in. My car passed with a double de-cat... officially.... once.....

There are a couple of different issues getting mixed up here which is muddying the waters slightly.

1. The document that you have quoted is stating that without a CAT your car is an instant fail. This appears open to interpretation as I read it being for Diesel vehicles only, the fact that it says Catalyst or DPF is still referring to diesels, as they still had a CAT in them prior to DPF technology.... they were just different. In this instance, if your car has a CAT removed from it, and IMO if it's a diesel, your car fails before I even take a reading from the exhaust.

2. If your car requires a CAT test (Debateable, but both opinions are plausible) then it gets the exhaust gas from the exhaust measured and compared to a table for your engine. If it passes the readings on said table it's a pass.... regardless of whether or not a CAT is present. In Havards case he needed the CAT in to pass the emmisions test, not to pass the "Do you have a CAT attached to your car" test.

Both are very different scenarios. The second scenario has been around for years and different MOT stations have different opinions, the same as different cars get different results in the emmisions tests with and without CATS in. My car passed with a double de-cat... officially.... once.....

DVSA popped in the other day for a site visit. Always interesting watching them struggle for the correct answer. But all they do is try an muddy the waters further so that the onus is on the tester.

Well it may all be for naught now ...

i've just jumped online to check the MOT status and tax it and low and behold the record says it has passed and allowed me to tax it.

When I stop f'ing and blinding I'll have to give this chap a call and ask WTF is going on! .... he's not getting paid at this rate lol.

Well it may all be for naught now ...

i've just jumped online to check the MOT status and tax it and low and behold the record says it has passed and allowed me to tax it.

When I stop f'ing and blinding I'll have to give this chap a call and ask WTF is going on! .... he's not getting paid at this rate lol.

What are you worried for then yove got a magic mot pass!!

I went to a friendly and he said that due to the change of rules with VOSA it just wasn't worth the risk of losing his licence.

That's not very friendly ;)

Sometimes they will be more accepting if you take the CAT in the boot, that way it was tested with it in as far as they are concerned.