The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing Crank Pulley 2JZGE

Josh42

Hi, I've tried searching and even checked my TSRM, can't find any guidance on how to correctly remove it.

Can some offer some advice/point me in the right direction please?

I'm attempting to remove the water pump and I believe I've got to firstly remove the crank pulley/lower timing belt cover.....

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you not use an impact gun?

As Dr Dnk says, there isn't enough space to get one in, without removing the rad first.

I only did it that way because it was stuck in a carpark on another army barracks, and I refused to pay to get it recovered and have it done by a garage, as its a simple thing to do.

- - - Updated - - -

i didnt pay for a puller mate used wd40 and it came off

wouldnt come off without it

I used an 18 stone Fijian to get mine off :p

Or prehaps heat it red hot then just use a spanner. But dont know if theres rubber seals or anything it could destroy.

No just do it properly, the bolt is torqued up to 330 Nm so you will need a breaker bar

Heating the end of the crankshaft up till its red hot really is

the worst idea you can possibly have, red is around 700 C for steel ffs

Some people reckon that's why so many JZ crank pulleys fall apart.

It'll screw up the crank seal right behind it that's for sure let alone anything else

and change the structure of the crank material, actually softening it which i doubt

is a good idea.

Also how far up the crank the heat would go doing god knows what to the mains

and rod shells

Josh, I have a home made tool if you need it. it's very basic and rough, but does the job. The bolt on my old na was so tight even cranking it with a breaker bar wouldn't crack it. I have a picture somewhere I can post and if you have a couple of lengths of angle iron, you could make one yourself easy.