The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Waxoyl?

JamieP

Im doing some jobs on the car and while its in the air i thought id give the underside a clean up.

How does waxoyl dry? looks like grease in the tin, does it dry hard?

You normally need to thin the product out a fair bit, if you want any hope of spraying it. When I applied it thoroughly to my old car I used an old alloy wheel cleaner gun, and just kept refilling that to spray the product on worked a treat.

The product doesn't go off completely, and acts as an active enzime self sealing itself too.

I went on to use the underseal with added Wax Oil, which went on like a 'hot knife through butter' (silky smooth - loverly stuff to apply and quick too).

This version does go off nicely and will be dry to the touch after a few days.

You normally need to thin the product out a fair bit, if you want any hope of spraying it. When I applied it thoroughly to my old car I used an old alloy wheel cleaner gun, and just kept refilling that to spray the product on worked a treat.

The product doesn't go off completely, and acts as an active enzime self sealing itself too.

I went on to use the underseal with added Wax Oil, which went on like a 'hot knife through butter' (silky smooth - loverly stuff to apply and quick too).

This version does go off nicely and will be dry to the touch after a few days.

Just looked and thats the stuff i bought, Hammerite underbody seal with added waxoyl, black tins.

Sounds like it might be ok then.

Just looked and thats the stuff i bought, Hammerite underbody seal with added waxoyl, black tins.

Sounds like it might be ok then.

Yeah thats the stuff!

If I ever need to top mine up, I would go straight for that having used it previously.

Just perhaps use the Wax Oil in a spray for inside the inner sills etc, where you can't get too.

Yeah thats the stuff!

If I ever need to top mine up, I would go straight for that having used it previously.

Just perhaps use the Wax Oil in a spray for inside the inner sills etc, where you can't get too.

Good idea, Im going to start on it monday, not going back to work till the 9th.

Does the hammerite underbody stuff come in a spraycan or do you paint it on?

Yeah, i bought 3 rattle cans and a big tin of the paint on stuff.

Dinitrol. Waxoyl is very second best, greasy, smelly and, IMHO, not all it's cracked up to be. It stays greasy and viscous, which is what the makers, (who used to be Finnigans, maybe still are), expected and claimed, as they said it was self sealing.

How much does it cost to have your car done with Dinitrol?

Dinitrol AV8. Works a treat but a sod to get out of your hair , don't know price for a tin (we use it at work) probably expensive as it is good .

Wet it leeches into gaps ,dry its a hard shell.

A coat on shocks and they will never corrode.

Only thing is the colour a brown which at a glance looks odd.

In summary awesome diy product.

Dinitrol AV8. Works a treat but a sod to get out of your hair , don't know price for a tin (we use it at work) probably expensive as it is good .

Wet it leeches into gaps ,dry its a hard shell.

A coat on shocks and they will never corrode.

Only thing is the colour a brown which at a glance looks odd.

In summary awesome diy product.

Guest Rsand85

i used waxoil on my MR2 never again!!it does form a skin but never dries 100% it makes a mess of you every time you go under the car and more importantly it traps the damp between the oil and the metalwork.Needless to say this is not good caused more rust than it stopped!!other products may be better i certainly wouldn't use waxoil though.

Pics? :D

Looks good. Mine looks pretty much new underneath, it looks to have been undersealed at some point before though.

Yeah mine has been done before i owned it, its looks very clean under the car but whiles the prop and exhaust are off i may aswell give it a once over.

Yeah mine has been done before i owned it, its looks very clean under the car but whiles the prop and exhaust are off i may aswell give it a once over.

Definitely. I'd like to do mine again.

How easy do you reckon it'd be to get the damage out of your exhaust, as mine has a "crease" in it since I bought it and it looks a lot like the damage on yours. Not sure if the fact mine's stainless makes much difference.

Definitely. I'd like to do mine again.

How easy do you reckon it'd be to get the damage out of your exhaust, as mine has a "crease" in it since I bought it and it looks a lot like the damage on yours. Not sure if the fact mine's stainless makes much difference.

Should be easy enough to push out, if not ive got some sheet titanium in the garage, they can cut the damage out.