The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HID: Group buy!

Ray

Just spoken with Wai. He's confirming the fitment measurements with EKDG against the official specs (20mm diameter and tabs) and will order some in his next group buy. Sadly he's not long ordered some in so it may take a few weeks for him to ensure all that he's got have gone first.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Ultrawong

Thanks for that Pete, I will keep researching and learning. Below are KDG's. I think they can come in just silver but to be honest you don't see them unless its a show car of some sort so I have never taken that much interest in the colour.

http://img498.imageshack.us/img498/3789/img25219lc.jpg

http://img465.imageshack.us/img465/5672/img25204jj.jpg

The connectors are the Japanese design ones I think and the gromit is not a free floating one as I think it is bonded to the wires. Unless they are so tight they feel like they are bonded.

Well I managed to get the afternoon off to take the old HIDs out and fit the new ones today, the job took about 2 hours in total - the hardest part was finding a decent place to put the ballasts!

Here's where I put mine - drivers side - in the centre section of the front bumper (the cables are just long enough to run under the headlight to connect to the bulb) and on the passenger side (a lot easier) - under the headlight as there's a huge cavity under there. I secured them with a few cable ties for now as there are no flat surfaces where the sticky pads could be used effectively. I might go back at a later date and bolt these down securely. As far as the wiring's concerned, it's a doddle - connect up to the battery and find a ground (I should probably find better).... the power to the HID's is controlled by a relay triggered by the existing headlight wiring, simply plug it in to your headlight connector.

Anyway having installed them I am very impressed with the performance, and the visibility at night is really transformed so I'm happy :ecstatic: It's not really fair to compare it to my last HID kit as I wasn't supplied with the correct bulbs that didn't lock in properly so the beam was messed up, but certainly compared to stock it's night and day!

I've just come back from the gym and took a few photos on my way. I pulled up next to several cars on the way, and none of them including a brand new Mercedes seemed to have better lights, although it's difficult to really compare as they probably have a better view from inside their car. The beam has a tint of blue (6000k), especially around the cut off point, in my opinion it's about right. Of course the trouble being in central London is there's absolutely no where that's not street lit, even as far out as Heston!

Finally the kit I bought, as in photo - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brand-New-Philips-6000K-HID-Kit-Kits-Xenon-conversion_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQitemZ8024912457QQrdZ1. No fancy packaging, but tried and tested durable ballasts (LVQ 212-L300s.. afterall Philips invented HID) - P&P was $50 for FedEx Express, so the total was $437 which equates to just under £250. The kit arrived 2 business days after doing a "Buy it Now" which was incredibly prompt, and no import tax as it was declared as a lighting fixture worth $30 :) The guy has 100% positive feedback so I doubt he'd want to jepordise loose that, overall very highly recommended!

hid1.jpg

hid2.jpg

hid3.jpg

hid4.jpg

hid5.jpg

hid6.jpg

hidkit.jpg

Francis thats a GREAT write up! nice pics too... looks the bogs mate! Im shocked... Saw your car on Sat night and i definetly would have noticed if you had these on then... Dammit! I want someeeeeeeee!!!!

ohhh Heston thats 5 mins from me :D local ehh

ohhh 1 of the pics is on the M4 ;)

Hi mate ;)

Shame I didn't get to meet u at the Tunnel Run!

Yeah I go to the David Lloyd in Heston, great tennis courts and a resonably priced driving range not to mention the Tesco's that sells 99 RON :) Just on the topic of photos, I'd say it's almost impossible to make accurate comparisons between HID kits on the basis of photos as longer exposures will make them look brighter, and colder white balance will make them look bluer... that said photos are always nice :)

Hi mate ;)

Shame I didn't get to meet u at the Tunnel Run!

Yeah I go to the David Lloyd in Heston, great tennis courts and a resonably priced driving range not to mention the Tesco's that sells 99 RON :) Just on the topic of photos, I'd say it's almost impossible to make accurate comparisons between HID kits on the basis of photos as longer exposures will make them look brighter, and colder white balance will make them look bluer... that said photos are always nice :)

David lloyd is in cranford? opposite western international market yeh... :)

for that matter you might see my mate Sav there with his black Veilside Supra...

I used to go that gym aswell.

Very true what you say about the pictures varying... maybe when i get my HID kit we could meet up and take some comparison pics for members on the board?

ps how do you adjust the beam when you have hids? Do you use the dimmer switch ? the one on the dash... ?

I'm pretty sure it's called the Heston DL, it's off J3 of the M4, just a couple of secs from the huge Tesco Extra. A group comparison wouldn't be a bad idea at all!

You can use the projector control on the dash to move the beam cut off up or down, I find 0 (highest cut off) is fine, whether other drivers do I don't know :p

Guest Ultrawong

Nice write up Francis,

The lights look very nice. One thing that I will say about HID's in general is that they do work so much better in projector beam light sockets. The crystal ball light lens as I like to call it. Normal rear reflected light housing with the lens refraction are the worst type and rear reflection light housings with rear light reflection and clear lenses is in the middle. I have seen cars of all three types with HID's and everytime, the projector beam produces a much more even non hotspot beam which goes further.

Cor that was a mouthful. With this in mind try to only compare cars with the same type of headlight housings or else you will think that one is better than the other when if fact they might be both the same and it is just that the light housing are different making one look worse than the other.

What bulbs did you order in the end Francis. I am trying to get the tech specs of my supplier and learn abit more about what Supra use. I do know however that KDG do not produce "J" bulbs as in 9006J or 9005J.

I have just found out from KDGnand I am now editing this post from the original. KDG produce 9006 bulbs with 22mm hole diameter fitting and also 9005 bulbs which have the 20mm hole diameter fitting. As for the tabs they are as on the bulb spec link that Pete left a few posts up. Do all supra's use the same Bulb type or does it really depend on if they are imports or Official imports or whatever? I have asked KDG if they would consider producing HID 9006J bulbs to fit perfectly without adjustment and they said it is possible but it would depend on easy of modification to their machinery and moulds. Also demand would obviously come into it. Let me know your thoughts guys and I will do what I can to help the fact that nobody produces a "J" HID bulb which is most odd that I know of anyway. I should be getting a few base plate samples from them with my next order due for shipment today so maybe I can come and show you pete and offer them up to the car to see how they can be modified. If supras use other common bulb types I would love to know.

Once again your lights look great Francis. Have you been christened by other drivers flashing at you thinking your high beams are on yet?!

It's 9006J that we IDEALLY need for dipped beam, but 9005 will do with a little modification.....and they're single filament.

Pete, the 9005 HID kits don't need any modifying they are a straight swap, a normal 9005 bulb will need slightly mdoifying to make it fit onto the harness.

Pete, the 9005 HID kits don't need any modifying they are a straight swap, a normal 9005 bulb will need slightly mdoifying to make it fit onto the harness.

Cool. It's not a major problem anyway as the plastic ring that holds them in and dictates the tab locations is held on with three screws which can be taken off and put back on over the bulb. It's just a pain to change (which hopefully you won't be doing).

Cool. It's not a major problem anyway as the plastic ring that holds them in and dictates the tab locations is held on with three screws which can be taken off and put back on over the bulb. It's just a pain to change (which hopefully you won't be doing).

Yes those screws are a bit of a b*gger, I've lost one of them on mine :complain:

I`m thinking of getting myself a set of Hid`s, I looked at the inside of the bulb connector yesterday. The 9005 and 9006 bulbs have one or two ridges down the inside of the connector, which then mate with the connector on the loom. However, my supra dip beam connector had no no ridges, what bulb would fit in that, does anyone know the part no as I dont want to order the wrong kit, or is it a case that I fit a 9006 kit and cut out the thin ridge, that`ll be handy as i`ve already got a couple of those?

I`m thinking of getting myself a set of Hid`s, I looked at the inside of the bulb connector yesterday. The 9005 and 9006 bulbs have one or two ridges down the inside of the connector, which then mate with the connector on the loom. However, my supra dip beam connector had no no ridges, what bulb would fit in that, does anyone know the part no as I dont want to order the wrong kit, or is it a case that I fit a 9006 kit and cut out the thin ridge, that`ll be handy as i`ve already got a couple of those?

UK spec Supra bulb specs are:

Low = 9006 (HB4)

High = 9005 (HB3)

J-spec Supra bulb specs are:

Low = 9006J

High = 9005J

The 'J' version bulbs are not available in the UK AFAIK. The problem is that the 9006J and 9006 have different diameter bodies (20mm and 22mm respectively, see diagram).

To get around this what you need to do is to fit a 9005 (HB3) bulb in the high AND low beams. On a normal bulb you will need to modify the connector by removing the ridges you mentioned. On an HID kit this is not a problem and they should be just a straight swap.

See pics attached that shows the different tabs and body diameters of each bulb.

9005-9005J.jpg

9006-9006J.jpg

thanks Nic, I presume i`d have to cut out the ridges off the connectors then , have i got that right?

On normal bulbs you will, but on the HID kits they come without the ridges, so they'll be a straight swap.

I have supplied dozens of HID kits to members, if you want prices let me know.