The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single turbo on Standard engine internals

hodge

£7k+ is much more realistic!! Just ask my debit card :taped:

EDIT: Polished stockers sounds perfect for this guy

I doubt it. They won't be "phat" enuff. ;).

I saw Steve Whitakkers old drag car at JapShow Finale last year and had a chat with him.Very nice down to earth bloke he is, shame he's not forum minded. :(

His car (then) was running a XS Power "GT45" kit, the turbo was massive, it made the Greddy T88 look small in comparison. BUT and this is the big but, his car was a fully built up engine from the bottom end, had been imported from Japan with a twin Apexi set up etc etc and cost him more than a few quid. So yes he was running a 10sec car with an XS Power Turbo but he did have some serious supporting mods.

If you want a budget kit, then you'll be looking at around £5k before any fitting fuelling mapping etc. £10K would give you a very nicely sorted car, and there are plenty on here that have been running reliably for a few years now, because their owners didn't skimp on kit or costs and invested in proper fuelling and supporting mods or they are handy with the spanners themselves and have learnt by trial and error.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't bother with 'cheap' kits like XS Power - they work out anything but cheap in the long run by the time you've replaced most if not all of the components of the kit as and when they fail. Not to mention the hassle, cost and agro when stuff like oil lines and wastegates fail. Then there's the potential of an engine bay fire because of the poor quality lines and fittings which could ruin your pride and joy....

Cheers,

Brian.

Ok Brian, thanks for that. I think im gona have to look into this a little further.

Like anyone else I have to learn how to do something, I doesnt come as standard when your born. Ive never done a single conversion before so i'll learn as i go.

Just like id never build a Supra engine before so I learnt as I went and to be fair ive done a damn good job of doing it.

I thought the idea of the site was a family of people who helped eachother and shared a common interest so IMO I dont feel that all the sneeky digs and and coments are nessessary really ive just asked for advice, but thanks anyway.

What would be the correct supporting mods wez

• mappable engine management with all accessories
  • good brakes
  • good tires
  • good suspension
  • clutch
  • decent manifold & wastegate
  • 650cc injectors minimum
  • uprated fuel pump
  • good IC
  • cams would be a bonus but not 100% nessesary for this size turbo
  • downpipe and decats

Trust me the list goes on, thats just off the top of my head without thinking too much, as mentioned before, to do it properly is not as simple as chucking the tubby on.

Here is the breakdown of the MINIMUM cost you can do a conversion to a BL T67dbb. I've searched around and think I've found the cheapest suppliers on all parts.

Some comments on these costs:

1) It assumes you are starting from a basic TT 6spd (auto will be much more)

2) The dbb is only around $300 more expensive to complete than the non dbb version and only $400 more than a T61.

3) This assumes the installation is done by a professional and that £800 labour is charged (It will be more if every item is fitted by a professional)

4) You don't get caught by IR on the import from the US

Here's the list in case you don't have Excel:

BL T67dbb single kit

Boostlogic T67dbb turbo

Boostlogic Manifold

Boostlogic downpipe (3inch)

Boostlogic mid pipe (3inch)

HKS 50mm Wastegate

K&N Breather

2x 1 1/2 inch silicon connectors

1x 4inch silicon connector

4inch AEM ait filter

4inch intake pipe

2inch screamer pipe

2 1/2 inch IC pipe

Oil feed and return kit

3inch v-band clamp

Nuts and bolts for turbo and sreamer pipe

6x jubliee clips (various sizes $4,049.00 £2,730.24

Additional conversion parts

Boostlogic Water line kit £150.00

HKS SSQV $205.95 £138.87

HKS aluminium flange £35.00

3/16in T piece (x3) (for boost lines) £8.21

3/16in boost hose (5m) £15.50

Hose support 0.25 ID (x4) £3.62

Exhaust Wrap (6m) £9.80

Wrap ties (x6) £6.00

Water neck male weld on flange £5.95

Fueling

Aeromotive FPR $147.00 £99.12

Walbro fuel pump $125.00 £84.29

Power Enterprise 800cc drop-in £450.00

Injector flow testing £90.00

FPR gauge £15.00

Fuel hose -6 (1m) £4.00

Breathers

1/2in braided breather hose (0.5m) £10.53

-10 hose finisher (x2) £11.70

Electronics

Blitz SBC ID-III Boost controller $529.00 £356.70

2.5 bar MAP Sensor £50.00

Gauges

AEM UEGO gauge $279.90 £188.74

Greddy 60mm boost gauge $192.00 £129.47

ECU

PowerFC ECU £500.00

Drivetrain

Southbend Kevlar clutch £450.00

Intercooler

Greddy 3 row FMIC $1,469.00 £990.55

Service items

Silkolene ProS 15w50 11 litres £120.00

Toyota Oil filter (x2) £17.37

Sump plug gasket (x2) £1.83

NGK BCPR7ES (x12) £28.00

Toyota red coolant (10 litres) £32.50

Exhaust gasket £92.00

Gasket paste £4.95

Blue sealant £3.95

Water neck gasket £2.45

Fuel filter £31.95

Labour

Single Fitting £800.00

Clutch fitting £120.00

Mapping £250.00

Welding (Aluminium) £20.00

Taxes & delivery from MVP

Guestimated & assumes you don’t get caught by IR £400.00

Possible extra parts

Gearbox oil

Axle oil

New underpants

Total £8,458.29

T67dbb conversion cost.xls

• mappable engine management with all accessories
  • good brakes
  • good tires
  • good suspension
  • clutch
  • decent manifold & wastegate
  • 650cc injectors minimum
  • uprated fuel pump
  • good IC
  • cams would be a bonus but not 100% nessesary for this size turbo
  • downpipe and decats

Trust me the list goes on, thats just off the top of my head without thinking too much, as mentioned before, to do it properly is not as simple as chucking the tubby on.

I would whole heartedly agree and take the advice chap your opening up a money pit...I would add transmission to the above list and cams if you do decide on big power....personally I would stick with the stockers unless you have silly money to throw at it...ie 10k +

Guest thugiris

listen to these guys. ive just fitted a t78 and all the other parts trust me the list goes on to things you never even consider im running 414rwhp on setting one and 560rwhp on setting two i now have a car that doesnt go due to blown auto box luckily ive now got a 6 speed manual so be warned it is a labour of love and a big money pit that never stops

You may not need a new internal setup as the stock bottom end, when looked after, holds 500+bhp day in day out. There are plenty of examples on here. In fact opening the block up seems to cause most problems ;)

-Ian

Ian why exactly do u say that, have there been many instances of built or rebuilt engines failing??? I was thinking of fitting a new shortblock (blueprinted by MVP) or going for a built setup.

Think after reading all this i'm gonna stick with my stock twin setup lol!, i agree with what alot of you are saying tho, if your going to do a single upgrade then it needs to be done properly rather than rushing and risking destroying your engine.

Seen it done a few times to some of my mates on other cars (not supra's), underfuelling, bent conrods, not good!

Ian why exactly do u say that, have there been many instances of built or rebuilt engines failing??? I was thinking of fitting a new shortblock (blueprinted by MVP) or going for a built setup.

MVP are probably quite reputable so I wouldn't worry about that.

It was a simply observation that recently a) a lot of engine rebuilds suddenly seemed necessary and b) a lot of them then subsequently went pop. I am however expecting this trend to pretty much stop now, fingers crossed the 2JZ reputation in this country will recover.

As a stock engine it's fantastic. Enjoy it while you can.

-Ian

• 5 months later...
MVP are probably quite reputable so I wouldn't worry about that.

It was a simply observation that recently a) a lot of engine rebuilds suddenly seemed necessary and b) a lot of them then subsequently went pop. I am however expecting this trend to pretty much stop now, fingers crossed the 2JZ reputation in this country will recover.

As a stock engine it's fantastic. Enjoy it while you can.

-Ian

Indeed, all you require is :

1. Stock components to be fitted properly

2. Engine to be built properly and in a clean environment

3. Engine to me mapped properly.

Just my little old 2p worth :)

don,t bother trying the cheap route mate, i have gone single twice in the last 12 months, the first time was not done cheaply but the garage used cheap parts,(if you know what i mean) i have spent many thousands doing the car again properly, its just not worth doing a single conversion cheaply, or with a garage that does not know what they are doing:)

don,t bother trying the cheap route mate, i have gone single twice in the last 12 months, the first time was not done cheaply but the garage used cheap parts,(if you know what i mean) i have spent many thousands doing the car again properly, its just not worth doing a single conversion cheaply, or with a garage that does not know what they are doing:)

Very good advice Gaz :thumbs:

Good post. I can concur completely. Do it cheap = do it twice.

Very good advice Gaz :thumbs:

I'll second that. I originally budgeted £5000 to do my conversion, I have easily spent double that now.... It really starts to add up, it's the hidden costs as sopmebody else has said already that you have to spend out on that really makes you put your hands in your pockets.

I have done 3 single conversions now, always say its the last as well as the cost really does mount up, I would say get the best quality garage and parts you can afford but dont put yourself in to debt because of it because it has a habit of continuing to cost after the conversion is done, great fun but a real money pit that will be a lot worse if not done well