The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single turbo on Standard engine internals

hodge

It was a simply observation that recently a) a lot of engine rebuilds suddenly seemed necessary and b) a lot of them then subsequently went pop. I am however expecting this trend to pretty much stop now, fingers crossed the 2JZ reputation in this country will recover.

Has anyone else noticed that engines aren't failing much at all now ;) Just call me Nostradamus.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all this talk about not getting cheap kits (I understand the XS power argument)

However What about PHR? I thought there kits were supose to be very good?

I am looking at the PHR Street Kit that costs $3695 (around £2400 in our money) and it sounds rather good. Their car was running stock fuel and stock ecu at 18psi and hitting 500rwhp. Plus from the looks of things a few people have fitted these them selfs so its not even going to cost you another 2-3k to pay someone to fit it.

Unsure if it needs a piggy back ecu or anything as I am still learning.

With all this talk about not getting cheap kits (I understand the XS power argument)

I am looking at the PHR Street Kit that costs $3695 (around £2400 in our money) and it sounds rather good. Their car was running stock fuel and stock ecu at 18psi and hitting 500rwhp. Plus from the looks of things a few people have fitted these them selfs so its not even going to cost you another 2-3k to pay someone to fit it.

You won't be able to run that boost on a JDM car. Their 18psi is running on the stock US spec fuel system which is the same export spec as UK - 550cc injectors, better fuel pump.

The power figure at that boost should also be taken with a pinch of salt, US figures always seem to be higher than we see over here.

You would want a piggyback to alter timing as their turbo will require a different timing curve to stock twins in sequential.

Cheers,

Brian.

PHR kits are good quality although I've not seen a Street kit in the flesh so to speak. You won't be making anywhere close to 500rwhp without upgrading fuel control system and injectors at the least though. There is also the following to consider:

Clutch

Gauges

Mapping/tuning

Turbo Blanket

Exhaust wrap

Ancilleries

BOV

FPR

Breathers

Homer published a comprehensive list on here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=128696 and some other experienced members have had some input too :)

EDIT: Beaten to it again :(

I have been thinking about this recently, what is it that kills the auto box, torque or power, a small turbo generates alot more torque in a more aggressive way than say a T67 which is more gradual.

its the torque that will do it yeah, thats why u dont see any honda gearboxes ever goin bust! :D

PHR kits are good quality although I've not seen a Street kit in the flesh so to speak. You won't be making anywhere close to 500rwhp without upgrading fuel control system and injectors at the least though. There is also the following to consider:

Clutch

Gauges

Mapping/tuning

Turbo Blanket

Exhaust wrap

Ancilleries

BOV

FPR

Breathers

Homer published a comprehensive list on here: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=128696 and some other experienced members have had some input too :)

EDIT: Beaten to it again :(

Ahh you just confirmed what I was thinking. Still not tooo bad. Pennys will be saved lol

I use some PHR parts in my install and quality is good. 500rwhp on stock fueling (even 550cc injectors) and stock ECU is just dreamland though.

The stock ecu is mapped to run 2 small turbos, not one big single turbo.

Unless you are prepared to spend the money on doing a proper complete install, I'd say stick with the stock turbos.

I use some PHR parts in my install and quality is good. 500rwhp on stock fueling (even 550cc injectors) and stock ECU is just dreamland though.

The stock ecu is mapped to run 2 small turbos, not one big single turbo.

Unless you are prepared to spend the money on doing a proper complete install, I'd say stick with the stock turbos.

Your so right!!! You can do it on a budget, buying second hand parts/group buys etc etc to keep costs down and produce some good results i.e. Paul mac's car.

For me i think it comes down reliability, drivability and living with the car on a day to day basis (as mine is a daily drive winter and summer).

Before my last set of upgrades i was running a EMU, PE 650cc and stock autobox and TBH it wasn't bad! but comparing it to how the car is now its just a different league! I've now spent over 15k on mods producing a car which i hope will be able to run 500rwhp on a daily basis! but even now I'm not 100% happy and considering another 4k on further upgrades :blink: :eyebrows: