The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Single turbo on Standard engine internals

hodge

Couple of quick questions folks.

My turbo oil seals have gone on my turbos so instead of replacing them im gona go single when I take the car off the road in the winter.

I have decided to get an XS-Power kit. The turbo is a GT45.

I was told at full boost it hits 2.2 bar.

What boost is safe to run on standard internals?

My plan was if it is possible to run the turbo with a ristrictor ring at 1.2 bar and set the overtake boost on at 1.6 bar on my E01.

This is until I can buy the internals and build a new engine.

Finally what size injectors should I use for this Turbo.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not go past 1.4 bar max and run at 1.2 for daily use, whoever is going to do the install should advise you to the health of your engine as well as it is no good adding a single to a tired engine and expecting it to last, I would fit 650 injectors and also look at ECU or fuel controls as well, it is a job that has a habit of costing way above what you would expect and if done on the cheap can be more costly in the long run

Who is going to do the install ??

Have a search about. the gt45 is a MASSIVE turbo. It will not be nice to drive on an auto. your better off getting a t61 and running 1.2 - 1.4 bar. p.s some people have had lots of problems with the XS power kit.

Completely right there Jon :)

They are a huge turbo and very late spooling turbo compared to the smaller T61 and T67's. It's only really suitable for drag racing.

I think it was Steve Whittaker who told me it spools around 5 to 5.5k rpm in the lower gears. At 1.6 bar it's should be flowing enough to produce well over 600bhp, so you would need some serious fueling upgrades to manage that. Even at 1.2bar it will be putting out a lot of power, certainly more than your box could take.

I have decided to get an XS-Power kit.

Maybe rethink the XS power choice. Do a search on here and make your mind up :)

The turbo is a GT45.

Are you sure? The XS power stuff has some varied interesting names and it's either a proper GT45, or what they think is a GT45 'equivalent' in some fashion, or it's called a GT45 but has nothing to do with the Garrett one, like their T60's are smaller than a proper T57 etc etc.

I was told at full boost it hits 2.2 bar.

That's rather meaningless, is that the peak efficiency point? Seems high, it is absolute pressure? If so that'd be 1.2bar of boost by our usual measuring, which then seems on the low side for a GT45...

What boost is safe to run on standard internals?

A well mapped 1.4bar is accepted generally as the highest you want to go on a daily driver with pump fuel. It can vary turbo-to-turbo what you can achieve but that is a good starting point.

My plan was if it is possible to run the turbo with a ristrictor ring at 1.2 bar and set the overtake boost on at 1.6 bar on my E01.

You won't need, or at least really really shouldn't need, a restrictor ring when you convert to single turbo. Your external wastegate should be sized correctly to control the boost even with the most free flowing exhaust system available. You can set different boost levels with the E01, say wastegate, 1.2bar, 1.4bar so you can vary it according to mood or weather or whatever. I wouldn't have much truck with "overtake" or "scramble" boost as either your setup can take x boost or it can't. Running boost beyond what it can take for a short period seems chancy to me.

This is until I can buy the internals and build a new engine.

Finally what size injectors should I use for this Turbo.

You may not need a new internal setup as the stock bottom end, when looked after, holds 500+bhp day in day out. There are plenty of examples on here. In fact opening the block up seems to cause most problems ;)

Injector size is based on predicted power output, so go from there. 650cc is a good start point.

-Ian

If your an auto mate i'd go for a T61 or GT35 sized turbo, 650 injector's and some extra cooling on the auto box. A well set up T61 is a quick road car, and isn't laggy. You'd need a high stall if you want a bigger turbo but didn't want massive lag. From what i've read the XS kit doesn't have a very good rep, but not having used it, I couldn't say i'd know personally. A smaller sized turbo would also mean your engine would be fine in standard trim, (if in good condition).

I have been thinking about this recently, what is it that kills the auto box, torque or power, a small turbo generates alot more torque in a more aggressive way than say a T67 which is more gradual.

In my case the auto box was fine when driving around town, smooth changes and good feel, but up at 1.2 bar + when the car reached 400 bhp the box started to slip, beyond that and it was all slip and no further gains, thats why i decided to go 6 speed before the thing gave up completly, I did look at BL and TH400 but went down the manual route instead as this has proven 500BHP + as standard, after seeing the BL auto box at the pod this year I think that is a very good option if you really need or want an auto IMO :)

The car itself doesnt get thrashed around and TBH it only get used every now and then. More of a show car really. I picked this turbo Kit for a couple of reasons really.

1) I thought it was quite reasonably priced.

2) If the car is mainly used for shows ETC, I liked the idea of the turbine housing outlet being 4.17 inches, which i would have polished/chromed.

Im not too concerned about abit of turbo lag really but stil want to be able to drive it.

I spoke to Captain Chaos who has purchased this turbo kit and it was he who explained about it hitting 2.2 bar at full boost.

Im going to do the install myself. I know my engine it fit and well cos I rebuilt it about 3 months ago myself.

2.2 bar on a standard engine with a turbo this size and it will be a case of when it goes bang not if IMO, why would you want to fit a big turbo just for show? Maybe you should drive a laggy car to feel how frustrating this car be, I have owned a T88 car and the turbo lag drove me crazy, not worth the hassle for show looks unless you plan to drag race the car ;)

Point taken mate.

How much will I be looking at for a T61 ot a GT35 turbo on its own or a kit do you have any idea.

A quick search will reveal all mate. Parts cost me $7300 shipped and fitting/mapping will be a lot extra. I bought the PHR stage 1 kit and their stage 2 fuel kit. Depending on your budget/needs there are infinite possibilities available to you. You just need to decide which is best for your driving. You will also need some other supporting mods such as fuelling control/ECU, clutch/gearbox upgrade, FMIC or SMIC, FPR etc.

I think were getting a little carries away here.

$7300 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You cant mean to tell my to do a basic T61 single turbo conversion cost 3 and a half grand.

Do it properly or stick some stock twins back on again...

I typed out a full reply and then realised you are on JNE so decided not to bother, some folk just cant be told :(

Point taken mate.

How much will I be looking at for a T61 ot a GT35 turbo on its own or a kit do you have any idea.

:Plug:

I've a brand new BL T61 for sale, sorced by Terry S a couple of month's ago, it's in the for sale section £450 + p&p or pick up from Phoenix.

$7300 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You cant mean to tell my to do a basic T61 single turbo conversion cost 3 and a half grand.

I absolutely can say that mate. Like Rob says, do it properly if you do it at all. Or just buy a T51 and keep the stock 440s, map to 1.4 bar and watch the fireworks in your rearview mirror when it all goes bang.

It seems to me that you aren't after a single for the right reasons from previous posts so why not get the twins etc all polished and leave it at that?

$7300 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's funny because I had the same reaction. I couldn't believe the cost was that ridiculously low ;)

If you choose your turbo because it's got a big exhaust housing that will look good polished I'm gonna delete the thread in disgust :p

-Ian

MVP really are legends IMO. That price didn't include import tax (£175) and I got a special deal that they have on currently :)

Oh not knocking you, just that (and you did mention it) there is the fitting, mapping, fettling, bug fixing, and also any extra supporting mods like clutch, bov, extra fuelling gubbins, FMIC, welding and cutting etc etc that bites us on the budgets mid-build :) Figure 7 grand and you might have change at the end of it.

And no, that's not getting carried away ;) Choke on the mere kit price and I'd bail out now and get dremelling the stockers.

-Ian

Figure 7 grand and you might have change at the end of it.

And no, that's not getting carried away ;) Choke on the mere kit price and I'd bail out now and get dremelling the stockers.

-Ian

£7k+ is much more realistic!! Just ask my debit card :taped:

EDIT: Polished stockers sounds perfect for this guy