The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why is spelling and grammar so poor on this forum?

DaveK

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Literacy standards have been declining for several years, as is mentioned by the media on a regular basis. However, I don't believe that schools should 'carry the can' for the entirety of this problem. As a very young child I was encouraged to read by my parents and was able to do so before starting infant school. I was quite a 'book worm' and learn't much of my spelling and grammer from books. Time precludes me from sitting down to read these days whereas the internet is quicker. Sadly, websites are not proof read and any errors are picked up unknowingly by some and further exacerbated by the 'readers' own errors.

Time is a major factor too, in my view. Our lifestyles are fast and often frenetic and convenience is paramount; it is far quicker to communicate in an abreviated form. We are also increasingly lazy these days :rolleyes: self regulating our own output is neither time efficient or deemed necessary in many situations.

As for this forum, well, I should'nt be on here in the day and therefore have one eye on my PC and the other on my bosses door :sly: so I end up scrawling a few hasty words and...erm.. sometimes in txt speak ;) Besides, few threads are worthy of a protracted response :p A couple of words or a brief sentance before racing to the next thread is adequate :D

Linda

x

Is it fair to say that no-one writes anymore?

I mean, aside from emails. When I was younger everyone wrote letters, it was a good way for children to communicate and 'practice' their skills.

I mentioned writing a letter to someone the other day and they thought I was crazy. Perhaps advances in technology are actually a disadvantage to some skills.

Is it fair to say that no-one writes anymore?

I mean, aside from emails. When I was younger everyone wrote letters, it was a good way for children to communicate and 'practice' their skills.

I mentioned writing a letter to someone the other day and they thought I was crazy. Perhaps advances in technology are actually a disadvantage to some skills.

How very true that statement is!

Virtually everything I do is based on using my computer (graphic design), but if I have to write anything down, its a real effort to use a pen nowadays! Years ago we had no choice but to write.

All seems a bit wrong, and considering I used to do calligraphy its all the more tragic! I'm alright if I can use a lined pad though ;)

I can design forms, brochures etc, but actually filling them in. Nightmare! :rolleyes:

If the few children I come in contact with are to be believed English grammar is something that they are not taught these days, and spelling mistakes are excused, with the merit being placed on content. Personally I think most English teachers are pretty thick, and don't know themselves how to form coherent prose, and certainly no longer understand the formalities of English grammar. The same goes for dialect, kids seem to be allowed to speak like Negro gangsters, with no effort made (or maybe DARED to be made for PC reasons?) to correct them. We now have a sub culture of morons who sound like their "rapper" idols, who will forever be disadvantaged in many walks of life.

So I blame the current societies seeming disregard to the correct usage of the Queens English, as highlighted on TV and in schools.

I must admit that bad spelling and grammar is one of my pet hates mainly because it smacks of laziness. I get lots of job applications with terrible grammar and appalling spelling - these get put straight in the bin. The perception is that if you take so little time and effort to ensure that your application letter is perfect you'll apply the same philosophy in the job - hence you don't even get an interview.

It's not the teachers’ fault, it's the fault of those lazy gits who couldn't be arsed to listen at school, instead they bunked off, didn't listen or just thought that it was just boring! Oops! Need it now don't you dole-boy!!

Not only are people lazy when typing (letting the computer correct bad spelling ignoring the fact that most computers’ dictionaries are American-based and those sister-shagging rednecks can’t spell anyway!) but people just don't read enough either. It’s sad really that the beauty of words is abused so much.

Bad spellers - you're just lazy or thick!

Bad grammar - see above!

Then there's all the swearing on the forum :blink:

My gran said "swearing is a sign of ignorance" Would this account for some of the abusive behaviour of our youths who cannot find the correct vocabulary/garmmar to express anger or frustration?

Some members on here are equally guilty!! :tongue:

L

Then there's all the swearing on the forum :blink:

My gran said "swearing is a sign of ignorance" Would this account for some of the abusive behaviour of our youths who cannot find the correct vocabulary/garmmar to express anger or frustration?

Some members on here are equally guilty!! :tongue:

L

Chubby Brown, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy have made millions from swearing!! Bless 'em!!:D

I must admit that bad spelling and grammar is one of my pet hates mainly because it smacks of laziness. I get lots of job applications with terrible grammar and appalling spelling - these get put straight in the bin. The perception is that if you take so little time and effort to ensure that your application letter is perfect you'll apply the same philosophy in the job - hence you don't even get an interview.

It's not the teachers’ fault, it's the fault of those lazy gits who couldn't be arsed to listen at school, instead they bunked off, didn't listen or just thought that it was just boring! Oops! Need it now don't you dole-boy!!

Not only are people lazy when typing (letting the computer correct bad spelling ignoring the fact that most computers’ dictionaries are American-based and those sister-shagging rednecks can’t spell anyway!) but people just don't read enough either. It’s sad really that the beauty of words is abused so much.

Bad spellers - you're just lazy or thick!

Bad grammar - see above!

I know some of the post police on here dislike full-post quotes but tough, I liked that one so much I'm adding my support to it :thumbs:

Note the second sentence. I think the rule is:

"If it takes me more effort to read it than you put into writing it, you have failed to communicate."

Seems it works with job applications, it also works with tech posts I assure you, in fact I'm trying to persuade some people to allow me to bin off any posts in tech that are written by lazy thicko's ;)

There is a world of difference between the odd typo and being tripped up by some of the English language's vagaries (Friend? Freind? Suprise? Surprise? aaargh) and the other end of the scale, the lazy shit who can't summon up the effort to type "you" instead of "u".

-Ian

ps my failing is "teh", I keep typing it and hate myself for it as it's such a internet cliche :( However I proofread all my posts and go back to correct them!

Christ sake, its only a car forum ! does it really matter if all the commas and full stops are in the right place.

It does annoy me when some certain members with high thread counts (who by the way must spend the best part of there day on forums hence reading and writing a lot compared to say people who don't have access to a computer 24/7 or simply don't need/get the time to read and write everyday due to their type of job and therefore may be a little rusty), get singled out and made to look stupid just because they are not of a high standard.

May be we should have a mathematics competition?, I bet that would show a lot of the "people must be a chav because they can't spell Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanokoniosis" ???

ps my failing is "teh", I keep typing it and hate myself for it as it's such a internet cliche :( However I proofread all my posts and go back to correct them!

That one really annoys me, and I'm not entirely sure why. I find it easy to accidentally spell "the" as "teh" when typing quickly, but when people use it on a regular basis it just irritates me.

Sadly, if people can't spell on a car forum then they probably can't spell anywhere else.

so what !?!? they can't spell to a high standard, does it really matter ?

I'm sure they have other skills better than people who can spell well.

I feel very strongly about this as I've always struggled with spelling and theres nothing more degrading than having someone tell you that in front of others.

My worst grade at GCSE was in English, I got a C, which I was pretty annoyed about. Anyway, I like to think I'm quite good with spelling and grammar, at least compared to a lot of people I work with, so why do I get a lower grade just because I couldn't work out what Shakespeare was trying to get across in that particular scene!!! I'd say at least 99% of my posts on here are spelt correctly and are more or less grammatically correct.

I've also found that I have trouble writing by hand now, my handwriting is terrible! I have also found myself writing 'IMO' and 'IIRC' etc in emails at work, and only just noticing in time before I send them out!!

I feel very strongly about this as I've always struggled with spelling and theres nothing more degrading than having someone tell you that in front of others.

I feel strongly about shit spelling.

Oh - and I can do maths too. How clever I? :p

Use Firefox and use spell check,

Hehe I switched it off in Firefox as it encourages me to be lazy, I have to manually correct my "teh"'s as punishment for being shit :D I installed Word without proofing tools too, keeps you on the ball!

I'm sure most people who can't spell don't know they are wrong. At the end of the day if the point they are making is clear and makes sense who cares!?

If the point is made clear and makes sense then yes indeed who cares. However, check out the caption by my avatar for a great example of typing dribble that was so awful I just had to keep it for posterity :thumbs:

-Ian

Well your typing and spelling and sentence construction and paragraph usage seems to be perfectly OK (by whatever arbitrary standards I choose to apply ;) ) so I'm not sure why you're being defensive :)

I'd have thought if you percieve yourself as struggling and yet still manage to communicate like that, someone else not bothering and letting everyone else have to put the effort in to comprehend their scrattlings on the keyboard would annoy the hell out of you :D

-Ian

Sadly, if people can't spell on a car forum then they probably can't spell anywhere else.

I can see where you are coming from but that is not entirely true (you did say probably). I constantly get picked up on about my grammar/spelling but off the forum I do use the English language correctly as in my job it is an absolute must that you have good oral and written English skills, as poor English skills is not tolerated due to the legal side of things we deal with.

However because that I sometimes slip up, and the sad brigade are quick to quote it is automatically assumed that I am a thicko. This is the part that I dislike about picking people up and labelling them, no one on here knows me/anyone that makes mistakes outside the forum (apart from at meets) but it is the labelling that needs to be dropped.

It is basically online bullying. Just my humble opinion.

so why do I get a lower grade just because I couldn't work out what Shakespeare was trying to get across in that particular scene!!!

That's English Literature and is marked differently from English Language! I'd say you got a low grade because you didn't listen in class and thought Shakespeare was a grossly overrated frock-wearing ponce (as do I!!) and couldn't understand a bloody word that he wrote (as I didn't!!) but I wouldn't beat yourself up about it!! :p

This is the part that I dislike about picking people up and labelling them, no one on here knows me/anyone that makes mistakes outside the forum (apart from at meets) but it is the labelling that needs to be dropped.

It is basically online bullying. Just my humble opinion.

Didn't you accuse me of having a perfect easy life with no problems recently just because I didn't turn to drugs when I lost a sock in the washing machine? That's a very glassy house you're throwing stones in there ;)

-Ian