The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why is spelling and grammar so poor on this forum?

DaveK

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, what a coincidence! That's a perfect example of what Ian was saying. In the thread Steve has linked to TBourner accused me and Michael of something or other but then completely lost interest in the thread when asked to back it up.

not sure i follow you Jake, i have not linked anything to TBourner and/or accused anyone in particular (i have not stated anyones names) ?

Also how have i "completely lost interest in the thread when asked to back it up" when i did actually back it up:blink:

People don't stutter because they can't be arsed to speak properly.

i don't spell incorrectly because i can be arsed to write it down correct, i simply can't spell that well. Yes i could use a spell checker or look in the dictionary but sometimes its too time consuming and the moment has passed?

Why are you taking this personally and replying with an aggressive tone ?

Well, what a coincidence! That's a perfect example of what Ian was saying. In the thread Steve has linked to TBourner accused me and Michael of something or other but then completely lost interest in the thread when asked to back it up.

Ooh I never saw that!! I actually remember thinking one of you would ask who or when and I was planning what to say, then never went back to the thread :blush: .

It was the member 'veemax' BTW, who I actually had a semi-argument with (as well as our joint friend who I work with) where I was defending you both and saying that if he comes back to the forum he'll have to stop using txt speak and the word 'yr' because it's so bloody annoying!!!!

I can't actually find any reference from Michael relating to him, but he mentioned 'Jake' and 'Michael' in an email, saying why are they being so nasty, are they trying to drive away new members! The usual claptrap you know the sort.

not sure i follow you Jake, i have not linked anything to TBourner and/or accused anyone in particular (i have not stated anyones names) ?

Also how have i "completely lost interest in the thread when asked to back it up" when i did actually back it up:blink:

He meant me, see above, he should have a comma:

In the thread Steve has linked to, TBourner accused me and ....

//edit: Is that right? I read it properly the first time, now I don't know if there should be a comma or not.

Bad grammar and punctuation don't really bother me too much, however, text speak and bad spelling really gr8:thumbdown::no::complain:

Punctuation can be more important than spelling. Look at these two sentences:

A woman, without her man, is nothing.

A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Bad spelling and text speak is just annoying, as the reader has to think twice as he reads, mentally swapping 'their' for 'there' and 'sea' for 'see' etc (saw that in a thread title recently).

Bad punctuation can literally change the whole meaning of a sentence.

I edited the wrong hyperlink out of your post, You must've read it before I corrected me mistake.

Not you. I was referring to TBourner's post here (Link taken from your second example)

I'm really not (although people always seem to think I am) but it might look like that to you as we are at cross purposes.

Ooh I never saw that!! I actually remember thinking one of you would ask who or when and I was planning what to say, then never went back to the thread :blush: .

It was the member 'veemax' BTW, who I actually had a semi-argument with (as well as our joint friend who I work with) where I was defending you both and saying that if he comes back to the forum he'll have to stop using txt speak and the word 'yr' because it's so bloody annoying!!!!

I can't actually find any reference from Michael relating to him, but he mentioned 'Jake' and 'Michael' in an email, saying why are they being so nasty, are they trying to drive away new members! The usual claptrap you know the sort.

Ah, I see. Makes more sense now. Thanks.

It seems slightly odd that SupraSteve is so defensive, when I've not seen any problems with his spelling or grammar (as I think somebody already mentioned on the thread).

There is a whole world of difference between mis-spelling the occasional word (due to ignorance or a typo) and constructing a sentence wich has neerly evry word spelt wrong becos I was to lazy to go to skool proprly.

I think the fact is, there is a whole heap of difference between making a few simple spelling mistakes to writing like a 5 year old.

I agree. In the main, spelling mistakes do not bother me as I can usually get the gist of what the writer is trying to convey. For me, the worse ones are those who don't use any punctuation. Trying to work through some of those type of posts really is a nightmare.

I can't be arsed to read the entire thread but here's my view.

Personally I couldn't care less if somebody posts in text speak or if they spell something wrong. There's one or two very respected members on here who's bad grammar and spelling is ignored yet if a newbie posted like they did they'd get flamed down. This double standard does annoy me!

That said, of the 3 forums I use the spelling and grammar on this one is easily the best. My football team forum is worse than here but nothing compares to http://www.saddoboxing.com

You think Scoobynet is bad, seriously check that place out! Mostly Americans, all into boxing - none of them can spell.

I myself learnt my Englishing skills from Mrs. Simpson. She's probably dead now, but she was a lovely old dear who'd twat me round the back of the head for getting my spelling/punctuation/grammar wrong at any point in my adolescent life.

Quite frankly, I avoid any posts by someone too retarded to grasp basic English. If members from countries the other side of the world can make a well punctuated, legible sentence, then fucktards from the UK have no excuse.

If you were having an open conversation and said something incorrectly nobody would interrupt to make a point of how poor your English is - its just bloody rude,

Actually I did this today. A sales bod was saying ".and like... like....and stuff.....like....and stuff.....and stuff.....like" I just had to stop him as it was so annoying. I hope he doesn't speak to our clients like that.

Actually I did this today. A sales bod was saying ".and like... like....and stuff.....like....and stuff.....and stuff.....like" I just had to stop him as it was so annoying. I hope he doesn't speak to our clients like that.

Agreed, it is rich coming from a Scotsman but I do this all the time. I hate the way people talk and cannot string a sentence together without starting to sound like Vikki Pollard.

I am even more straight talking if someone stinks.