The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why is spelling and grammar so poor on this forum?

DaveK

I don't understand what you mean here. Can you explain?

obviously doesn't apply to all and Michael you're not one of the culprits. Many times i've seen it where a newbie has joined the site and introduced themselves to the group but because their spelling is not correct they get the piss taken out of them. It co-incidently seems to be the members with very high thread counts that do the piss taking.

its just something i have observed thats all and may be i'm looking into it too much.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't you accuse me of having a perfect easy life with no problems recently just because I didn't turn to drugs when I lost a sock in the washing machine? That's a very glassy house you're throwing stones in there ;)

-Ian

I take it you never seen my reply to that post you made, I said that I was NOT judging you as I do not know you in anyway so it would be wrong for me to do so. :p

Many times i've seen it where a newbie has joined the site and introduced themselves to the group but because their spelling is not correct they get the piss taken out of them. It co-incidently seems to be the members with very high thread counts that do the piss taking.

I don't believe that at all. Can you show us any examples of this?

You did, when you first joined use text speak and now you write perfectly - ish (;))

Bad spelling/grammar I admit and freely hold my hands up as back then I did not know how the forum world worked, but text speak? I do not use and never have used text speak. My mobile bill is high because I cannot text speak. My 61 year old dad text speaks better than me.

Feel free to link my posts ;) as I am truly unaware of ever doing it.

I can see where you are coming from but that is not entirely true (you did say probably). I constantly get picked up on about my grammar/spelling but off the forum I do use the English language correctly as in my job it is an absolute must that you have good oral and written English skills, as poor English skills is not tolerated due to the legal side of things we deal with.

However because that I sometimes slip up, and the sad brigade are quick to quote it is automatically assumed that I am a thicko. This is the part that I dislike about picking people up and labelling them, no one on here knows me/anyone that makes mistakes outside the forum (apart from at meets) but it is the labelling that needs to be dropped.

It is basically online bullying. Just my humble opinion.

I totally agree with this.

If you were having an open conversation and said something incorrectly nobody would interrupt to make a point of how poor your English is - its just bloody rude, so why pick up on someone’s spelling/grammar when written down. Is it because that person feels brave knowing they are safe hiding behind their internet connection?

obviously doesn't apply to all and Michael you're not one of the culprits. Many times i've seen it where a newbie has joined the site and introduced themselves to the group but because their spelling is not correct they get the piss taken out of them. It co-incidently seems to be the members with very high thread counts that do the piss taking.

its just something i have observed thats all and may be i'm looking into it too much.

I too would like examples of this, or is this yet another example (and I can supply examples haha) of someone saying "many many times I've seen this bad thing happening here!" and then going very very quiet when asked for links to some posts ;)

Still I know I'm safe because I never go into the newbie section :D

-Ian

If you were having an open conversation and said something incorrectly nobody would interrupt to make a point of how poor your English is - its just bloody rude, so why pick up on someone’s spelling/grammar when written down. Is it because that person feels brave knowing they are safe hiding behind their internet connection?

You still haven't actually linked to examples though.

But if you said "ugh grunt somefink innit bov?" and everyone looked blankly at you because they are thinking "what the hell did he just say?" would you start to get the idea that something was wrong with your communications skills? It doesn't happen on here because people just think "Oh, well, obviously no-one has read my post yet, that's why there are few replies" rather than "hmm, maybe if I wrote that in English I'd get a response"...

-Ian

If you were having an open conversation and said something incorrectly nobody would interrupt to make a point of how poor your English is

Only during an argument (I don't, most do).

I do, however, become all 2 faced when someone makes mistakes in conversation and slag them off as dumb to other people, then try my hardest to avoid them, because stupid people can't possibly have anything worthwhile to contribute to my life.

I'm probably lying. But the way you write has definitely improved - if I can be so patronising as to say. :)

Only on here, as said above with the job I am in spoken and written English is an absolute must. I was just getting used to this forum. However I will still write as I do..............it's quicker lol.

I don't believe that at all. Can you show us any examples of this?

I too would like examples of this, or is this yet another example (and I can supply examples haha) of someone saying "many many times I've seen this bad thing happening here!" and then going very very quiet when asked for links to some posts ;)

Still I know I'm safe because I never go into the newbie section :D

-Ian

Sorry i didn't make a note of them first time round but next time it happens i'll PM you a link.

This is not exactly what i mean but you get the point...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=97784&highlight=spelling+grammar

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=125059&highlight=spelling+grammar

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=129976&highlight=spelling (4th post down)

It depends on your point of view.

I find that some of the posts on this forum are almost impossible to read because the spelling is so poor, and the terms "sentence" and "paragraph" seem completely alien to the originator. So yes - sometimes it is.

However, the main reason I asked the question was because if it is an indication of how poorly people are educated these days then yes - I do think it's important. A country where most of it's inhabitants can't string a coherent written sentence together is a very poor country indeed. And on this forum in particular, I think it's slightly ironic given the number of anti-immigrant posts we see.

What really scares me is posts like CJ's. This is not an attack on his son - but in my opinion you really shouldn't be able to obtain 8 GCSE's and 2 A levels if you cannot manage basic spelling and grammar. Surely they are the basis for everything else at school?

I also think it's funny that some people have said "I'm not at work so I can't be bothered to make an effort". There are always going to be words that are tricky to spell but for 99% I wouldn't really expect it to be an effort. If the education system worked, for most people it should be quite natural.

I just think that spelling and grammar are not essentail to a post as long as you can understand the topic and be able to engage in discussion, if you do however stumble across a post you can't make head nor tale of then just don't post.

if you do however stumble across a post you can't make head nor tale of then just don't post.
Why not?

I know some people think it's rude to comment on folk's posting style but surely it's just as rude to make us read the rubbish, isn't it?

Anyone noticed that the guys with the technical knowledge don't reply to chav-speak questions in the Tech section? Then it's the left to the OP's fellow txtspkrs to try to help, often in a hilarious 'blind leading the blind' scenario.

Originally Posted by Ian C viewpost.gif

Sorry i didn't make a note of them first time round but next time it happens i'll PM you a link.

This is not exactly what i mean but you get the point...

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=125059&highlight=spelling+grammar

Well, what a coincidence! That's a perfect example of what Ian was saying. In the thread Steve has linked to TBourner accused me and Michael of something or other but then completely lost interest in the thread when asked to back it up.

Why not?

I know some people think it's rude to comment on folk's posting style but surely it's just as rude to make us read the rubbish, isn't it?

no

just because someone can't spell does not mean what they are saying is rubbish.

if someone has a stutter are they talking rubbish ?