The mkiv Supra Owners Club

EVO 8 on Top Gear

Elliot

Did he say 4MPG?????????? :)

I thought the rolling race in top gear was a bit lame, you'd think the other cars top gear is geared for a maximum speed of 110mph or something, whereas the EVO is 175mph, so that didn't suprise me.

Why did he keep stalling it as well? It can't be tha bad can it?

Anyone know any EVO 8 owners? Or is it just the 400 brake model that has these problems?

I thought these were 0-60 in 4.2, not 3.5 as well, or is that just the standard model?

I saw this tonight, very nice car. The clutch must be different to the FQ320 etc, it sounds abit like a HKS triple plate clutch, like a light switch!!!

The rolling start was silly, when would you have any car in 5th gear at 30mph.....mmmmm

The show was pretty crap like once again apart from that and the Porka v Merc.....what does everyone else think about the show?

Paul

Originally posted by Paul Laing

I saw this tonight, very nice car. The clutch must be different to the FQ320 etc, it sounds abit like a HKS triple plate clutch, like a light switch!!!

The rolling start was silly, when would you have any car in 5th gear at 30mph.....mmmmm

The show was pretty crap like once again apart from that and the Porka v Merc.....what does everyone else think about the show?

Paul

My mother could get into fifth gear before she'd even completed the turn out of her road, she got poor MPGs as well.

I thought Clarkson saying it would be virtually impossible to crash was a dangerous thing to say.

I read somewhere its got the GT30 turbo which is on the large side for a 2 ltr but i always thought the GT series turbos had little lag? i know the GT-RS turbo which is based on the T28 has next to no lag so i wouldnt have thought the next size up would be as bad as he says?

I assume £47k includes all the work to ensure that the car is reliable for 'say' 100k miles in order to retail them with a warranty. But even so, £47k ?!? No chance.

And that lag looked pretty horrendous, I have a 2litre MR2 with a hybrid CT26, has a large T4 compressor wheel and a trimmed turbine, yet full boost is by 4000rpms at the very latest.

Maybe they've oversized the turbo so that it's not as stressed as much as a smaller one, and then almost tuned it down to 400bhp ? I don't know, just guessing - but to sell a 2litre car producing 400bhp out of the showroom with a warranty can't be an easy task. How pissed would you be if you're £47k Evo went bang every 10k !

Matt

That rolling start was to show how much comparative power/torque the car has when it is not on boost and it also showed the massive turbo lag if your revs aren't up.

I thought it was a good demo and really showed what he meant when he say's the turbo lag is a big problem for the car.

I've never been a fan of the EVO's ever since they toned them down after the EVO6. True, the running workings underneath the car are much improved but they look very bland from the outside for me, just like a family saloon car- blends right in with the likes of mondeos, focuses etc. etc. (But then that is what some people look for).

And blimey! Did you hear the price of the 400bhp version!!

:eek:

Originally posted by SkyJawa

That bit was rubbish IMHO.

When do you ever have a performance car like that and leave it in top in that situation? Not in the real world. You have to use gear seection wisely in any performance car so that bit was a load of cobblers!

Exactly! There wouldn't be turbo lag if you dropped into 2nd and sped into the sunset. That test proved nothing other than don't drive a car in top gear unless you're in the correct range to.

Also, I think they said it came with a 3 year warranty? So I guess MMC will be spending half of that 47k on repairs!

I'd say the point that the rolling start was trying to show was that the car was powerless without the boost and that the turbo lag was massive.

In real day driving you wouldn't drive everywhere in 5th but the test did show that when the car wasn't on boost that an everyday saloon car had more torque/power in 5th.

It was just a demo to put that point across.

when the stigg was driving round the circuit there was a corner where you could easily see the car had no acceleration due to the turbo lag. It's obviously a big enough problem for the top gear team to pick up on and therefore to show what they mean to the general public viewer, they did that test with a rolling start.

Originally posted by tDR

I liked the EVO 8 FQ400 but wouldn't pay 47k for one.

The rolling test in top gear wasn't actually demonstrating turbo lag, it was showing how long the turbo took to spool - they are two different things.

Cheers,

Brian.

Hmmm, now I'd define the lag between booting the throttle and getting power as turbo lag :) How's your take on lag then?

-Ian

Originally posted by Ian C

Hmmm, now I'd define the lag between booting the throttle and getting power as turbo lag :) How's your take on lag then?

-Ian

My take on turbo lag is that it's the difference in time between when the turbo spools up and the time the cars starts accelerating hard. It can also be described as the time it takes - when you're driving at high revs and full boost and you then quickly change gear - for the turbo to come fully back on the boil when you plant your foot again. Just a second or two in most cases, with only slight time increases as you use bigger turbos. Obviously we don't really experience the former in a mkivsupra TT due to the sequential turbo setup.

What clarkson was doing last night was trying to accelerate off boost.

Cheers,

Brian.

Originally posted by Paul Laing

Paul

I actually missed the part when he said he was driving in 5th gear on the start and thought the launch was normal :stupid: Then when the stig/gimp did the fast lap was totally confused when he managed to spin the wheels.

so,... what was the point of the 5th gear start?

waste of time when they could have been talking about Supras :mad: