The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Envy in the 9's

Muffleman

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well next year they think there will be 4 rather than 3 series this year. This year we had, FWD, Street and Pro.

Next year they are thinking FWD, Street, Street Pro & Pro.

Pro will be the ultimate for for Jap cars still, however Street Pro will be an unlimited category for stock chassised vehicles. Its all up in the air at the moment.

Regards,

Gaz.

Im thinking that Leon would be in the Street Pro class as he is still running stock chassis and rear end. Would make it an interesting group.

JB

In terms of Saftey next year all the cars will have to have a set criteria if they want to run in the Street class. Which is mainly approved cage, Scatter shield, Drive shaft hoops, longer wheel studs, engine cut off, fire suit, gloves, helmet, Neck brace etc. Our car curently qualifies so is ready for the new rules. I think we are probaly one of the only cars that does atm.

Thanks

Kevin

Not bashing here, as obviously I have a vested interest in whats going on here, as this could seriously fuck me up for racing soon...but does it comply ? And have Santa Pod actually told anyone what these mystical rules are ?

The NHRA rules for sub10 cars are very very long, and IMO there isnt a single car on the scene today, that would comply with them in full.

I read through them earlier in the year, and you would almost need to do a ground up build, to comply with every rule...if indeed parts existed to allow it to happen.

I can understand the safety aspect, but roll cages etc in road cars, are not a safety item for a road car.

But either way, if Santa Pod are going to be dicks about it, they need to at least put their rules out there for people to see, and stop keeping them a secret..

Otherwise Avon park is going to get very busy next year !!!

Out of interest, how much has been done to the car since the 11's not so long ago? Has it been a case of different products or just a greater understanding of the current ones?

Hi Steve,

To be honest, not a lot has changed in the spec of the car since the last turbo went on around 18 months ago.

We built the car to a spec that we knew could run 9s, it was just a question of nailing that time. Theres a huge amount of variables in setups that can massively effect your results on the strip.

Regards,

Gaz.

Not bashing here, as obviously I have a vested interest in whats going on here, as this could seriously fuck me up for racing soon...but does it comply ? And have Santa Pod actually told anyone what these mystical rules are ?

The NHRA rules for sub10 cars are very very long, and IMO there isnt a single car on the scene today, that would comply with them in full.

I read through them earlier in the year, and you would almost need to do a ground up build, to comply with every rule...if indeed parts existed to allow it to happen.

I can understand the safety aspect, but roll cages etc in road cars, are not a safety item for a road car.

Hi Stevie,

The rules are long, we got a copy at the end of last year. Its based on the MSA White Book, although there is some differences for the Drag specific stuff.

We comply with everything at the moment other than a shut off switch which we'll have for next year. We had to do a lot of work and spend quite a few quid complying with the rules this year.

The safety guys said that this year was the start of Pod trying enforce the rules in the Japanese scene because the cars are getting so quick now. Next year Street cars will have to fully comply or they will not be allowed to run.

Regards,

Gaz.

Hi Stevie,

The rules are long, we got a copy at the end of last year. Its based on the MSA White Book, although there is some differences for the Drag specific stuff.

We comply with everything at the moment other than a shut off switch which we'll have for next year. We had to do a lot of work and spend quite a few quid complying with the rules this year.

The safety guys said that this year was the start of Pod trying enforce the rules in the Japanese scene because the cars are getting so quick now. Next year Street cars will have to fully comply or they will not be allowed to run.

Regards,

Gaz.

Do you have a copy of these rules ? I did see what Santa Pod put out early last year, but it was only proposals, nothing definate. These were basically the NHRA rules, Sport compact and all that stuff.

We have been told they will be finalised in December and then put forward for official approval.

Thanks

Kevin

Do you have a copy of these rules ? I did see what Santa Pod put out early last year, but it was only proposals, nothing definate. These were basically the NHRA rules, Sport compact and all that stuff.

We were in the 8's in 01' :) Imagin if we still did a lot of drag racing where we would be today?

Cheers,

Joe

I've done a search but not seen anything. Very impressed to see the Envy car hit 9.875 today :cool: (THINK it was 9.875 from memory, but if I'm wrong I'm sure I will be corrected)

The pro game really seems to have moved on this year with 8 second passes now being regular.

However, the envy car is still a manual and still full weight. Top job fellas ;)