The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The sh*t just keeps coming

Matt H

I think the car is going to be set up with a smaller RR to run under 1.2bar e.g 1.1bar on a day to day basis etc and BC to up the boost to a higher level may be 1.3bar-1.4bar etc when needed based on how the car performs on the hyper dyno. I'm just guessing tho :)

Would make sense, and sort of what i said in roundabout terms in post 88

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sorry for you and this situation, but I don't feel guilty. If I can help, I will, but I am seriously thinking of adding what a sign at an engine builder colleague of mine says, in his workshop, to my sig.

"Speed costs, in money and in luck. How fast can you afford to go, and how lucky are you feeling today?"

These cars are now elderly, and although they are now cheap as chips, they are still the equivalent of a 50K automobile to repair if things go wrong. As soon as you start to mod an engine, even a new one, you just have to accept that you may be lighting the fuse on an expensive firework. I well remember, in about 1982, a 12,000 quid new engine lunching itself comprehensively on Sam Nelson's, the engine builder who'd created it from all new parts, dyno. It is a lot of money now, and to me, then, it was a fortune. Sam shrugged, muttered something about the mess in the dyno cell, and *hit happens, and went to lunch. It taught me a lot, like don't go into the kitchen if you don't like the heat, and who was I kidding when I thought the loss of 12K wouldn't matter horrifically (it left me fighting like hell for money for 2 years after that, to catch up). I guess I was naive enough to think a new engine from one of the countries top builders wouldn't go pop before I even bolted it in a chassis. I wanted something that gave a lot more than Ford envisioned it giving, and should have been more realistic about the risks. I feel for you, but I won't be shooting myself :) It could be a lot worse, a lot LOT worse. Hope you get it sorted without too much more drama.

"Speed costs, in money and in luck. How fast can you afford to go, and how lucky are you feeling today?"

Very well put Chris, along with the rest of your mail. I've run out of cash now and too will be chasing my arse so I'm the punk in need of some luck!

Matt, I am sorry mate but I'll be making sure my boost is normally set low to reduce the risks having heard your woes.

I've just read though this.

The only thing I'm confused about is how everyone is getting confused!

1) So you have a problem with your car. Possibly caused by the fact you may have hybrids fitted and are making more boost than stock and are hitting fuel cut.

2) You take it to CW and he fits a restrictor ring and removes your boost controller (probably whilst trying to diagnose the problem - it's what I would do). You say that he said "you have hybrids."

3) You still have the problem, but manage to fix it by increasing the stock fuel cut boost level. (This is possibly the most important part of the story)

4) You then notice that on occasion you are making 1.4 bar. You question this yourself (good call) and ask about it on here. You're told by CW that he could make you another restrictor ring, but your turbo's could possibly be OK. You're also told by Matt H that your turbo's could be OK, but you need to sort the fuelling. (I think there's a bit of confusion about CW's comment about the injectors being OK, when in fact he's talking about someone elses, and states as such).

5) Your engine blows.

You then go through another lot of pain that is slightly as an aside to the main topic that's being discussed here but reads as:-

a) You get your engine re-built by Turbofit, and an E-manage fitted.

b) You drive the car about getting it up to 5000rpm on a "basemap".

c) You take the car to Hyper and ask them to check the turbo;s and then map it to an appropriately safe level.

d) The turbo let's go.

So from that my personal thoughts on the first issue are;

Yes, it would be nice if CW had fitted an appropriate restrictor ring to start with. He didn't, but offered to fit a correct one for you. You didn't take him up on this.

You adjusted the stock fuel cut to an unknown level. This is the safety device that would have stopped you from blowing your engine, but you adjusted it to beyond what was safe, with no advice or input from anyone.

You were told that the stock fuelling would not cope at 1.4 bar.

It's unsuprising that the engine let go. I see it as a combination of errors, and lack of action on your part. If you'd taken Chris up on his offer of resizing the restrictor ring, listened to Matt H about the lack of fuelling you would have, or asked about increasing the limit of the F.C.D. you probably wouldn't have blown the engine.

The turbo's failing are a slightly different failure, that has no relevance on the restrictor ring issue. But again my thoughts are;

You basically told Hyper to map the car to whatever was safe for the turbo's. As they weren't willing to check to see if the turbo's were hybrids they should have mapped it to the safest level, which would be 1.2 bar. If you can prove the conversations you had with them, personally, I think they owe you a set of turbo's.

Get your facts right, i never said he recommended 1.4 bar. As for my engine blowing the first time (NOT A YEAR AFTER!!!!!!!) it was on one of those rare runs you push the car to a high speed and the problems show up. What Chris did to my car was to leave me running 1.4 bar of boost, higher at the time it blew. Was i aware of the danger, nope, enough people have told me, including the pros that 1.4 bar is fine.

My bad I just re-read the posts. However, the whole point of modding the car is that you are pushing the limits on parts. 1.2 bar of boost may still be in the efficiency of the tubbies but it still puts them and other parts under more strain. You can't go around blaming people for a collection of choices you made.

FFS, im not modding it, would never dream of it, thats why i was getting the "pros" to mod it, people that should know the capabilities. I wouldnt dream of stripping my engine out and working on the turbos.

No I don't mean you physically modding it but you are paying people to do work on your car then it's still you responsibility.

Sorry Matt I don't mean to have a go at you but I see plenty of 'this trader is sh*te' threads and this is the first that made want to say something. It must be terrible to have an engine go and then the tubbies but you made your bed.....

Sorry to hear of your problems Matt.

I as you know had similar ones before I finally and thankfully god rid of her (she was working perfect in the end but I was over £8k out of pokcte in 12 months!). They're just too much hassle.

I also pointed the finger at Chris re my smoking turbo and lack of boost. There was a very poor restrictor ring fitted like something out of a tin can, and it wasn't spotted by a few garages. Then again, I didn't ask them to check the Decat pipes so that's understandable but it did contribute to my boost issues - not Chris' fault though. This sounds similar.

I was running Hybrids but NEVER let mine creep above 1.25bar, I think they did once and that was it. Still, even at 1.1 bar on the norm, the eventually blew after only being installed for 12 months! :( No erratic driving or stupid speeds from me either, it truly is luck of the draw.

Good luck.

Greg

Either way a RR is a less than ideal way of controlling boost, tbh I think it's almost farcical.

Yeah but Gaz if you have a J-spec with ceremics and the smaller wastegate then you have to have a RR if you wish to go full decat BPU - there's no other way round it is there?? As mentioned many a time in posts above, the BC will only let you raise the boost not limit it to a safe level.

Yeah but Gaz if you have a J-spec with ceremics and the smaller wastegate then you have to have a RR if you wish to go full decat BPU - there's no other way round it is there?? As mentioned many a time in posts above, the BC will only let you raise the boost not limit it to a safe level.

I know mate, but it's still less than ideal. :)

I was running Hybrids but NEVER let mine creep above 1.25bar, I think they did once and that was it. Still, even at 1.1 bar on the norm, the eventually blew after only being installed for 12 months! :( No erratic driving or stupid speeds from me either, it truly is luck of the draw.

Greg

Which Hybrids did you have Greg ?