The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The sh*t just keeps coming

Matt H

When Chris fitted my restrictor ring many moons ago he told me to keep an eye on the boost, as it will obviously vary a little depending on the time of year..

For the record I was also told this by CW and have kept an eye on max boost ever since by recording peaks on my nice Blitz MD boost gauge.

Don't forget also that a boost controller will only raise boost, not lower it.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but I find it hard to believe that you are trying to pin your cars engine plight on Chris. He would never say 1.4bar is safe and definitely can't break your engine with the parts he fitted (A YEAR AGO).

It appears that im supposed to know exactly how the supra engine and turbos work therefore its my fault things have gone tits up for me.

If you don't know the engine and it's capabilities why are you modding it? Everyone has opinions and sometimes they are different ones. The thing you have to remember opinions have neither guarantees nor warrantees.

Sorry mate but you have to live up to the fact that it’s your responsibility to maintain your car.

If TF have done a dodgy swap then of course this whole post can be retracted ;)

And if Chris did reccomend 1.4bar then the next thing I will see is him driving round with 22" chrome wheels on his lowered Volvo!

I was gona leave this along now but FFS;

Sorry but I find it hard to believe that you are trying to pin your cars engine plight on Chris. He would never say 1.4bar is safe and definitely can't break your engine with the parts he fitted (A YEAR AGO).!

Get your facts right, i never said he recommended 1.4 bar. As for my engine blowing the first time (NOT A YEAR AFTER!!!!!!!) it was on one of those rare runs you push the car to a high speed and the problems show up. What Chris did to my car was to leave me running 1.4 bar of boost, higher at the time it blew. Was i aware of the danger, nope, enough people have told me, including the pros that 1.4 bar is fine.

If you don't know the engine and it's capabilities why are you modding it? Everyone has opinions and sometimes they are different ones. The thing you have to remember opinions have neither guarantees nor warrantees.

Sorry mate but you have to live up to the fact that it’s your responsibility to maintain your car.

FFS, im not modding it, would never dream of it, thats why i was getting the "pros" to mod it, people that should know the capabilities. I wouldnt dream of stripping my engine out and working on the turbos.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=78057

Post 11 is interesting, dont you think :)

Yeah and so is the rest as miami has suggested below!

So wait a sec, CW has explained why he removed your BC, and he has stated that he would send you a new restrictor ring if needed?

:blink:

No there is no explaination as to why he removed my boost controller

So is post 12 and 20 :innocent:

Indeed,

All that thread confirms is 1.4 bar isnt the biggest concern on anyones mind.

That thread coupled with on going information that 1.4 bar is fine from person to person led me to think its fine.

POST 20 is most certainly interesting and contraversial!

No there is no explaination as to why he removed my boost controller

He states....

It's sized for stock J-Spec turbos, and even these have varying amounts of flow via the stock wastegate due to production tolerances. If you have hybrids you may need a smaller ring to control boost down to 1.2 bar under very high loads for long periods of time. Refitting your electronic controller will do nothing at all, except to allow you to run ven higher boost, they will NOT allow boost to run lower than wategate pressure, or wastegate pressure less a given flow restictor ring, If you reguarly see over 1.2 bar and need less then I can guesstimate a smaller ring size for you.

so why did he take it off? that only states why there is no need in it being on. come on Rob,

Deep breath....

Isnt that the same thing Matt?! Why have it on if it doesnt do anything. If you are already at 1.4 bar, why leave it on? fair play leave it on and fit a smaller RR, as is the norm, which may be what he is hinting at.

I can to some extent see where you are coming from though.

Im going to vacate the thread now as it seems im having a go, and thats not my intention.

And post 15. Matt, what management were you using at the time to control your fuelling for your hybrids? Did you have the EMB then or were you using something else like a SAFCII?

I think given the time difference between CW working on your car, having at least 2 dyno sessions (iirc), your engine failing during a highspeed run, and then your subsequent rebuild being done by another trader, that you can lay blame with CW about the failure of your turbo. It's quite clear in the post that he suggests to you to have your RR changed and was non commital to your question about running the tubbies at 1.4bar.

I can understand your frustration at losing the tubby, but at the end of the day, you chose to have the car mapped and run it at a boost pressure beyond what is recommended by OEM standards, and when doing anything to your car that takes it beyond what the manufacturer designed it for carries risks, which are yours and yours alone.

It is unfortunate, that with hybrid turbos, that there is such a disparate quality in their build, and without knowing where they came from, who did the work to them etc, then the risks of them failing will be higher. AFAIK only Envy offer a warranty with their hybrids, but even then, there are limitations as to what you can claim for.

Guest Nicholas
And post 15. Matt, what management were you using at the time to control your fuelling for your hybrids? Did you have the EMB then or were you using something else like a SAFCII?

I think given the time difference between CW working on your car, having at least 2 dyno sessions (iirc), your engine failing during a highspeed run, and then your subsequent rebuild being done by another trader, that you can lay blame with CW about the failure of your turbo. It's quite clear in the post that he suggests to you to ahve your RR changed and was non commital to your question about running the tubbies at 1.4bar.

I can understand your frustration at losing the tubby, but at the end of the day, you chose to have the car mapped and run it at a boost pressure beyond what is recommended by OEM standards, and when doing anything to your car that takes it beyond what the manufacturer designed it for carries risks, which are yours and yours alone.

It is unfortunate, that with hybrid turbos, that there is such a disparate quality in their build, and without knowing where they came from, who did the work to them etc, then the risks of them failing will be higher. AFAIK only Envy offer a warranty with their hybrids, but even then, there are limitations as to what you can claim for.

I agree with Doug Matt, you're very lucky it was just a turbo and nothing more. Pick up a second hand set of jspec tubbies and away you go AT 1.2 BAR :)

Come on guys play nice :) Matt will have spent over 5-6k by the time he has finished basically in mistakes and errors! I'm not going to start pointing fingers! I'm sure if you were in the same position faced with yet another massive bill you wouldn't be happy!

I don't think that Matt intended this thread too turn into a internet based 'mud slinging' match! Just wanted to express how fed up he is with the whole situation and may be as a warning to what can happen when a car is tuned!

Matt i hope you get it sorted soon!

And the reason you didn't ask him that at the time was........?

He recommened it and i was like fine if you know best :search:

Deep breath....

Isnt that the same thing Matt?! Why have it on if it doesnt do anything. If you are already at 1.4 bar, why leave it on? fair play leave it on and fit a smaller RR, as is the norm, which may be what he is hinting at.

I can to some extent see where you are coming from though.

Im going to vacate the thread now as it seems im having a go, and thats not my intention.

Why take it off. ive just paid £150 in labour to have it re-fitted as i need it now. if it ain broke dont fix it

Matt, if you went in for an operation and asked the doc if you'd survive the op and he replied 'possibly' would you think "ooh, sounds a bit risky..."

What? :search:

I think given the time difference between CW working on your car, having at least 2 dyno sessions (iirc), your engine failing during a highspeed run, and then your subsequent rebuild being done by another trader, that you can lay blame with CW about the failure of your turbo. It's quite clear in the post that he suggests to you to ahve your RR changed and was non commital to your question about running the tubbies at 1.4bar.

Thats the key Doug, i didnt have anything and didnt know better, most people told me it was fine other said otherwise. i chose to listne to the wrong crowd. I know better know... unfortuneatly its to late

I agree with Doug Matt just you're very lucky it was just a turbo and nothing more. Pick up a second hand set of jspec tubbies and away you go AT 1.2 BAR :)

Ive had the entire engine re-built too!!! what im running know im "told" is fine with the fueling set up. i suspect my hybrids are were no longer on the engine. we will find out soon.

Anyway, off out now, dont play without me :D

Come on guys play nice :) Matt will have spent over 5-6k by the time he has finished basically in mistakes and errors! I'm not going to start pointing fingers! I'm sure if you were in the same position faced with yet another massive bill you wouldn't be happy!

I don't think that Matt intended this thread too turn into a internet based 'mud slinging' match! Just wanted to express how fed up he is with the whole situation and may be as a warning to what can happen when a car is tuned!

Matt i hope you get it sorted soon!

cheers bud, thats exactly how i intended it to start, but people having a dig just got me going and it spiralled out of control

Why do you need the BC Matt?

Just trying to get to the bottom of your logic

I think the car is going to be set up with a smaller RR to run under 1.2bar e.g 1.1bar on a day to day basis etc and BC to up the boost to a higher level may be 1.3bar-1.4bar etc when needed based on how the car performs on the hyper dyno. I'm just guessing tho :)