The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The sh*t just keeps coming

Matt H

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have also heard of people who've done the pre spool mod getting 0.9 bar on the first turbo, so perhaps at high rpm, 1bar is possible (though I'm rather doubtfull).

isn't it true though that at 1 bar with only the first turbo working is a world of difference from both turbo's working at 1 bar......

ie wouldn't it have been noticeable to Matt that the car was down a turbo regardless of the actual poost guage reading? prior to going to Hyper......

I have also heard of people who've done the pre spool mod getting 0.9 bar on the first turbo, so perhaps at high rpm, 1bar is possible (though I'm rather doubtfull).

Isn't the pre-spool intricate to the workings of the sequential set-up? I would have thought that would have greatly reduced T2's longevity (as in the case of the Mario Andretti Supra).

Useful reading:

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=35926

If his EGBV is playing up and isn't allowing pre-spool of t2 then it could boost up past 0.7bar.

isn't it true though that at 1 bar with only the first turbo working is a world of difference from both turbo's working at 1 bar......

ie wouldn't it have been noticeable to Matt that the car was down a turbo regardless of the actual poost guage reading? prior to going to Hyper......

Oh yes, for sure. It'd be massively outside its effciency range. No offence to Matt but I'm not sure he has enough experience of these cars to know the difference between a 1st turbo overspeed and both turbo's operating at low(ish) boost, particularly as it had a TF supplied basemap ( :rolleyes: )

Isn't the pre-spool intricate to the workings of the sequential set-up? I would have thought that would have greatly reduced T2's longevity (as in the case of the Mario Andretti Supra).

Yep, thats my understanding. Loss of prespool means T2 would be going from zero to almost full speed in an instant.

it doesn't matter.

at the end of the day they mapped it to what you asked for, full stop.

if someone said, jump of a cliff and you can fly....would you do it?

EDIT: sorry if that sounded harsh, seems like you've had a lot of bad luck but as has been said i doubt anyone will take the blame for what's happened.

Someone else that needs to read the threads :rolleyes: see below. I was informed that 1.4 bar on hybrids is fine / safe.

Maybe I'm misreading this, but could you clarify:

1) The turbo went during mapping?

2) The turbo was gone before they began mapping it?

Daryl, I suspect that Matt's turbo had gone long before it got to Hyper. He has been "running in" on a base map since he picked it up from TurboFit, then just recently after running it in he posted that he was not boosting beyond 1.0 bar, and was wondering whether Turbofit hadn't fitted his turbos back on, it only went into Hyper last week, and it wasn't boosting beyond 1.0 bar before that. the mapping has nothing to do with it.

Matt I'm gutted for you mate - I'd be asking Greg some serious questions, It wouldn't surprise me if they killed it when you took it back to them to allegedly map it on their final day of trade - then telling you that they couldn't do it and to take it steady on the base map.

Sounds to me like it wasn't right when they gave it back to you. :(

Mike

Mike, Homer,

Initially i spoke to Hyper and asked them to check whether i had hybrid turbos to start with due to the lower boost i was getting. I spoke with Chris today and he told me that he made 438 BHP on the last run before my second turbo blew up.

All things point to my hybrids no longer being on the car. I suspect, although i cant prove that at some point my hybrids had not been put back on the car and instead stock turbos were in place thats why no.2 blew up. Its not Hypers fault that at 1.4 bar the second turbo blew up. But shouldnt they do the right thing and check whether i had hybrid turbos on my car, after i said so many many times i said i suspect that they may no longer be on there before they map the car to unsafe parameters for what could, and probably is stock turbos.

Mike,

suggesting that my second turbo had gone before it got to hyper is ludicrous. the car wouldnt run right and blue smoke would be pooring out of the back. i cant see a blown set of turbos producing at what was its best 1.1 bar of boost, not to mention what proved to be 438 BHP before it blew.

Finally, chris informed me that the car was now making less BHP at 1.2 bar than it was at the Hyper rolling road day at 1.1 bar. so something must be very different about the turbos

Initially i spoke to Hyper and asked them to check whether i had hybrid turbos to start with due to the lower boost i was getting. I spoke with Chris today and he told me that he made 438 BHP on the last run before my second turbo blew up.

All things point to my hybrids no longer being on the car. I suspect, although i cant prove that at some point my hybrids had not been put back on the car and instead stock turbos were in place thats why no.2 blew up. Its not Hypers fault that at 1.4 bar the second turbo blew up. But shouldnt they do the right thing and check whether i had hybrid turbos on my car, after god knows how many times i said i suspect that they may no longer be there before they map the car to unsafe parameters for what could, and probably is stock turbos.

There's are a few contradictions here, hopefully you can clear these up so that we can see the full picture.

1) You're saying it went on a RR and produced 438bhp at 1.4 bar before the turbo blew up. Was this before or after they remapped the car?

2) Do you actually have any evidence to prove there were hybrids on the car beforehand (Personally I doubt you had them) I.e. steel blades on the exhaust side

3) What do Hyper actually say has failed on the 2nd turbo? Can they offer any pictures of the exhaust side of the 2nd turbo?

If you can gain full answers to these we should be able to offer some advice, without it, there can only be speculation.

And with regard to your expectations from Hyper, what exactly were your instruction to them? Did you ask them to dismantle the installation to check for hybrids prior to them testing the car? Did you inform them it only had a base map?

But shouldnt they do the right thing and check whether i had hybrid turbos on my car,

If they said "sure, if you pay for the labour" which looking at T-Licence's FAQ looks like many hours of ripping a hell of a lot of the car to pieces to look at some exhaust wheels then put it all back together again, would you have gone ahead with the exhaust wheel inspection? It looks like an utter bastard of a job.

Mr Wilson is the reason why my engine blew in the first place. i aint gona take my tonka car to him for work (might as well get it off my chest see as though im pissed)

I thought you driving it at 1.4bar did that, Matt. CW supplied you with a small generic bit of metal with a hole in it for your own fitment and testing :shrug:

-Ian

There's are a few contradictions here, hopefully you can clear these up so that we can see the full picture.

1) You're saying it went on a RR and produced 438bhp at 1.4 bar before the turbo blew up. Additionally was this before or after they remapped the car?

2) Do you actually have any evidence to prove there were hybrids on the car beforehand (Personally I doubt you had them) I.e. steel blades on the exhaust side

3) What do Hyper actually say has failed on the 2nd turbo? Can they offer any pictures of the exhaust side of the 2nd turbo?

If you can gain full answers to these we should be able to offer some advice, without it, there can only be speculation.

And with regard to your expectations from Hyper, what exactly were your instruction to them? Did you ask them to dismantle the installation to check for hybrids prior to them testing the car? Did you inform them it only had a base map?

1) this was during the mapping session today. it produced according to Chris 438BHP on the second to last run before the last run which saw the second turbo croak

2) Chris Wilson in all his wisdom informed me that i had Hybrid turbos and indeed steel blades on the exhaust side when i took my car to him last year.

3) My request was first off simply to map my car, to which we discussed a boost of 1.4 would be suitable for hybrids. I continued to explain my worrys about the turbos. I asked them to firstly check that i had hybrid turbos, to which they shrugged off the idea of checking as it was a big job. So i left the request to simply state that i wanted the car mapping to to as high a BHP as possible in its safe limits, what ever that may be.

As for what has failed in the second turbo, all ive been told is there was blue smoke coming out of the exhaust and the second turbo has blown

Sounds like just another case of dodgy old hybrids failing to me.

In his other thread he claims CW told him they were hybrids.

Mr Wilson is the reason why my engine blew in the first place. i aint gona take my tonka car to him for work (might as well get it off my chest see as though im pissed)
Seems harsh. What are basing that on?

I thought you driving it at 1.4bar did that, Matt. CW supplied you with a small generic bit of metal with a hole in it for your own fitment and testing :shrug:

-Ian

oh right, so thats what a proffesional job is, you pay god knows how much money and you test the try the thing out yourself. It was fine before chris had it.

Not being an expert in any manner, you leave your trust with people who are hailed as experts. Chris shouldnt have let me take the thing away without testing it and making sure it was safe. even explaining that he simply fitted a metal hole and i had to test it would have been nice. as far as i was concerned the job was done!

As far as i am concerned, i expect to give my car to someone for a job and get it back in a fit condition for driving.

Seems harsh. What are basing that on?

By giving me back an unsafe to drive car. if i knew what i did now i would never driven the car to let it boost so high. i was niave and miss informed, i didnt know any better. you trust the pros to point you in the right direction.

While we are on the case i might as well inform you of the entire job...... (next post)

1) this was during the mapping session today. it produced according to Chris 438BHP on the second to last run before the last run which saw the second turbo croak

2) Chris Wilson in all his wisdom informed me that i had Hybrid turbos and indeed steel blades on the exhaust side when i took my car to him last year.

3) My request was first off simply to map my car, to which we discussed a boost of 1.4 would be suitable for hybrids. I continued to explain my worrys about the turbos. I asked them to firstly check that i had hybrid turbos, to which they shrugged off the idea of checking as it was a big job. So i left the request to simply state that i wanted the car mapping to to as high a BHP as possible in its safe limits, what ever that may be.

As for what has failed in the second turbo, all ive been told is there was blue smoke coming out of the exhaust and the second turbo has blown

Thanks Matt, so:

1) The turbo appears to have suffered a genuine failure on a late mapping run (i.e should be on good power, boost and AFR's), which would imply a mechanical failure.

2) No comment, would be interested on how this was determined as I don't believe the turbo's were removed. Based on previous info between you two, perhaps a misunderstanding?

3) As I read this you accepted they could map the car assuming it has hybrid turbo's (Which it may never have had) and were happy for them to go ahead with the mapping.

I'm sorry to say it but if that last one is correct you have no legs to stand on :(

By giving me back an unsafe to drive car. if i knew what i did now i would never driven the car to let it boost so high. i was niave and miss informed, i didnt know any better. you trust the pros to point you in the right direction.

While we are on the case i might as well inform you of the entire job...... (next post)

From your other thread:

the 1000 miles are up, i wanna see what shes like now so i nail the car a bit, not mapped above 5k rpm so as i expected its very lumpy and struggleing above 5k.

Strange thing is, it seems to be struggleing less and less the more i nail her? Is the ECU learning these new alterations? i dont know, still find it strange.

I have to say I'm surprised you gave it a bit on a base map, and carried on past the 5k base map rev limit, surely you realise it wasn't a good idea?

My car, was at the time, cutting out, giving a jolting action i was going fast and the boost was rising. (i posted a huge thread on it with even a vid) people were very helpful but there was mixed opinions as whether it was fuel cut or not and i actually had a FCD fitted. HKS one.

I took my car to chris who immediatly told me my car wasnt boosting properly after a test drive, a problem with the first turbo apparantly. I was relived that he knew what was wrong.

He also said that i need my first cat taking out to which i agreed. no problem with that. he further said that i dont need my after market bov, the stock ones better, and my boost controller is also a pointless addtion and i should remove it. jesus i thought, best have these removed then. He know best after all i dont even know what the boost controller does (at that time).

days pass, each time with a phone call with chris scratching his head "got now idea what the problem is".... same story for a week.. Friday morning comes and i call him, still scratching the head, dont know whats wrong with it...... noon friday, i make another call.... "any progress Chris?"..." oh yes its fixed.......problem with the actuator on the first turbo.. so going from know idea to fixed in a matter of hours seems a bit strange to me.. anyway... so i pick her up, about a grand for the decat and labour. My oil covered bov and various other bits are sitting in my passenger seat footwell, not even on some bloody newspaper. I drive my car away............. problem still exists.

I take more advice and purchase a thor FCD.. when it arrives i go into my ecu compartment to fit, only to find a maze of wires i really dont want to mess with. i see my HKS FCD there, i notice a dial. ah.. the Thor instructions speak of tweaking the settings from 0 - 12 of the dial... the hks one also has these settings. ummm i think, its worht a try.. so i test the car, first off the car harldy even idels at the lowest setting.. oops mustnt be that one. i try it the other way. things are seeming better, the jolting is coming in as often. i take it one more setting higer, the problem is gone............. i fixed it by the flick of a dial. great.. what did i just get from chris?!

At a NW meeting some of the chaps were inspecting my engine bay... Matt, you have a large gash in the radiator pipe... i look to find the blanking plate chris fitted cutting its was through the hose pipe. spot on that.

With regards to the to boost, well i think ive explained that.

The metal plate that chris had glued to hole glange where my bov once sat seems sharp and its resting on a ru

From your other thread:

the 1000 miles are up, i wanna see what shes like now so i nail the car a bit, not mapped above 5k rpm so as i expected its very lumpy and struggleing above 5k.

Strange thing is, it seems to be struggleing less and less the more i nail her? Is the ECU learning these new alterations? i dont know, still find it strange.

I have to say I'm surprised you gave it a bit on a base map, and carried on past the 5k base map rev limit, surely you realise it wasn't a good idea?

Thats nothing to do with CWs work or the problem at hand, :search:

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having. I have to disagree with no boost controller .. how do you monitor and stabilise the boost during cold spells causing over boost ??... or am i missing the plot here ???....i have always recommended a boost controller and never had a resistor ring installed on any of the cars , is it to allow a base boost level ?? or is it just a cheap method to boost past stock?? iam not having a dig here but can some one enlighten me please ....