The mkiv Supra Owners Club

n/a vs turbo

ivan63

If you look at the Suprapod times, as an example, there was not much between the NA's vs TT's and the same between the TT's and the "big" single runners. Infact Robbie was the only single runner (iirc) that was putting down consistent times in the 11's and most of the BPU TT's were beating the singles. It was a case of not being able to put the power down blah blah blah.

I can't understand the bitching that goes on between the NA onwers and everyone else. They are after all a MKIV Supra, we're all here because we appreciate the car, and I've always thought of this place being non willy waving elitist unlike some other forums.

I driven an NA, I quite like their smooth linear power delivery, and they make a very nice road car. And to all intents and purposes, to the non initiated, they're exactly the same as all other Mkiv's.

IMO the difference between an NA and a stock TT is about the same as a stock TT and a BPU TT.

Not once have I ever felt that the NA is somehow lesser to a TT or a TT to a single, it's about choice and what makes you happy or how deep your pockets are.

I know how fast my car is, and it doesn't bother me that there are much faster cars here than mine. As it's been said, the real difference is in licence losing territory, so it's all academic anyway.

:)

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Above 100? so not much difference in pre-'license losing' territory? OK.

if you look at it that way then yes theres not that much difference i thought we were talking about drag racing but maybe i lost the plot....

at what point would you feel that the extra bhp and cost for a TT would make it worth while over a N/A in a 0-70mph race ? 1 car length, 5 cars lendths...10 car lengths ???

On a serious note I've never understood why cars in the uk aren't restricted to 70mph if thats the law then why are manufacturers allow to sell them ?

i'm not siding with anyone just cos i have a TT, i'm just adding a new side to the discussion i.e. comparing the N/A to my old 325i to prove that 1.5 seconds on a drag strip, although doesn't look that much different, in reality it is.

OK, I'll shut up now... it's beginning to look like I give a shit! :D:p

of course you care, you love it :p

give it time, this will move onto Uk v's Jap and then 6speed v's auto if you're really lucky they'll eventually pick on the colour red :eyebrows:

Why is everyone bitching about TT's and N/a's. Does it make your k**b's sweat or something. Ive only been on this site for 3 months and you lot bicker more than the kids on the world of warcraft forums!

Yes TT's are faster. Alot faster as I raced one the other day in Wimborne (Hi btw if your reading this).

But who Fecking cares. Speed isnt everything. Just be thankful you can afford a Supra. Theres people out there who are lucky to own a Ford fiesta let along a 3 litre Gt sports car!

I wanted a TT but dont see the point as i dont really need the power! If you have a TT, then good for you, have a banana, if you don't and complain Just buy one and stop irritating th boys with the bigger toys!

Let the barrage of "Shut the F*** up" commense!

I always thought that people buy Supras because they want to own a something fast. :rolleyes: Why did you buy yours? I bought mine because i knew that someday i will do N/A-T conversion.

You shouldn't even compare non turbo to TT. OK, they look the same, but difference in performance is HUGE. Don't be silly, and don't look at paper statistics. Maybe those statistics makes you feel better, but in real world difference between them is devastating at any speed and in any road situation. If you own TT for £1000-1500 you can do BPU and have additional 70-100bhp so difference will be even bigger. If you own N/A for £1500... you can buy nice shiny rims or bizarre bodykit....

Sorry mate, but N/A isn't a proper GT sports car, it is just a sporty, awesome looking car. I never raced since i own Supra, because i don't want to be embarrassed by tuned corsa. :blink:

of course you care, you love it :p

..and I'm off work with nothing better to do :D

at what point would you feel that the extra bhp and cost for a TT would make it worth while over a N/A in a 0-70mph race ? 1 car length, 5 cars lendths...10 car lengths ???

A couple would do I suppose...

give it time, this will move onto Uk v's Jap and then 6speed v's auto if you're really lucky they'll eventually pick on the colour red :eyebrows:

Yeah, auto's aren't real drivers cars, all UKs are high mileage old dogs and the pink ones look cheap! :D

Yeah, auto's aren't real drivers cars, all UKs are high mileage old dogs and the pink ones look cheap! :D

Well I think you two have just summed it all up and ended the argument right there :D

roughly 2.3 secs at 100mph is 100m (difference between the two cars in the video)

thats 22 supra car lenghts, not a huge amount maybe but then again there never will be between two high performance cars!!

they are both great cars and we are all supra owners so lets start comparing to the other shit on the road instead.....

roughly 2.3 secs at 100mph is 100m (difference between the two cars in the video)

thats 22 supra car lenghts, not a huge amount maybe but then again there never will be between two high performance cars!!

wouldn't it be the difference in mph between the 2 cars i.e. 95mph and 100mph = 5mph

2.3 secs at 5mph = ermmmm ?!?! dunno not got a clue how to work it out but imagine a lot less than 22 supra car lengths ?

they are both great cars and we are all supra owners so lets start comparing to the other shit on the road instead.....

here here...

i'm thinking about getting either a supra, GTO, skyline or an RX7...what one would you suggest ?....

I always thought that people buy Supras because they want to own a something fast. :rolleyes: Why did you buy yours? I bought mine because i knew that someday i will do N/A-T conversion.

Well, I for one bought my Supra purely because of the looks of it and the fact that i've always loved Supra's. Power played second fiddle for me. And I'm sure that a healthy amount of people on here bought theirs for the same reason.

Sorry mate, but N/A isn't a proper GT sports car

Erm, yes it is.

Anyways, this thread is just a repeat of a repeat of a repeat. And I'm certain that in a couple of months time this will start all over again.

dont think so steve...........the second car takes an extra 2.3 seconds to reach the line so you have to work out how long it takes to cover this distance at the second cars average speed

what your saying will calculate the gap between the cars after 2.3 seconds if they start at the same point and have a difference in speed of 10mph but that isnt the case.

i may be wrong though, i have been once or twice in the past:D

Am I missing something here?

I thought the TT trounced the NA in that video. The TT left the blocks about a second after the NA, and still beat it by 2 seconds. 3 seconds over a 15 second race is A LOT.

So not only does the TT beat the NA from a start, where it REALLY get's fun is from a roll, like most "street races" are. That's where the difference is even more noticeable.

I think most people who have driven an NA, and then have a drive in a TT will be surprised at the difference. No it's not a corsa to lambo difference, but let's just say it's significant.

The point made about people spending so much more money on a TT and getting not much more doesn't really stand up either. As shown, you are getting much more, and then you'll find the reason why the majority of people spend so much money on TT's is to make them even quicker. If that arguement were true, then a good test would be to see which car you would have to spend the least money on to get to 400bhp. ;)

Still if you're happy with the NA, then be happy with it. Don't worry about how much quicker the TT is or isn't. There will always be someone out there with a quicker car....

Well, I for one bought my Supra purely because of the looks of it and the fact that i've always loved Supra's. Power played second fiddle for me. And I'm sure that a healthy amount of people on here bought theirs for the same reason.

That's a fair comment.

EDIT: I just noticed that you own N/A-TT Aerotop. :ok:

dont think so steve...........the second car takes an extra 2.3 seconds to reach the line so you have to work out how long it takes to cover this distance at the second cars average speed

what your saying will calculate the gap between the cars after 2.3 seconds if they start at the same point and have a difference in speed of 10mph but that isnt the case.

i may be wrong though, i have been once or twice in the past:D

its the 22 car lengths bit that got me but kinda make sense now

hmmm thats kinda worrying seeing that i deal with figures all day long for a living...

me thinking i need a change of career :rolleyes:

Hahaha, the NA bashing does make me chuckle, as Rob says it is just a car..

I'm biased in that I have both...

I have a single which while it isn't currently on the road, it has been and it is a damn good laugh, but I'll take the NA anyday of the week for general driving and I'm happy with it...

Still waiting for someone to take me on a pod / road course run... I notice no-one has actually stepped up yet? *grin* *poke* (apart from Class one, because I'm confident he could make his TT do things that would make me cry having been the car with him)

The huge question is

Are TT that much faster to warrent the extra money, all i hear from people who ask about my N/a is the TT is a total beast you should have got one. When i ask have you ever been in one , the answer is no. I have never been in a TT so i wont judge.

Any TT owners going to the kent coast meet wanna show me the error of my N/A owning ways.

The huge question is

Are TT that much faster to warrent the extra money

What's a couple of grand purchasing costs compared to the amount of money you will spend on tax, insurance, petrol, servicing, tyres, brakes & consumeables, and obviously when you sell either you will get kore for the TT which again eats into the premium of the TT's purchase price. I bet pence per mile there will be little in it.

I was with a mate (next car to me), as we both pulled onto a slip road onto the M4 (doing 20-30mph), he's got an NA and I'm BPU TT. I was surprised how it kept up given all the stories you hear, only for a couple of seconds though and then I eased away past him, much to his :( face...then he was a mere spec (think he gave up LOL!)

I slowed down once on the motorway for him to catch back up, but when I put my foot down he was gone. He's now considering doing a NA-T conversion.

He was surprised at the difference between us by the time we'd reached the motorway, I was surprised at how well it held it, if only for up to around the 50mph mark. They're still a 3 litre car...but nothing beats that big turbo kicking in and sending shivers down your spine:D

I think the supra is well known for is blistering performance and reputation which the NA cant live upto. I'd bet alot of folk dont even realise you get a non turbo. Anyway if your bothered by twats in TDI's keeping up with you then you need a TT mean ffs i couldnt even catch a corolla T sport in mine. After a year with my NA I couldnt stop smiling the first few months with the TT. So much fun well worth it and not really been any more hassle or expense.