• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Theoretical stats:

stock manual TT = 0-60 in 4.9 sec

stock manual NA = 0-60 in 6.6 sec

TT is 26% quicker

Real world, how much quicker over the 1/8 mile* is a BPU TT to a lightly modded NA?

20%?

30%?

40%?

.... 8%!

[from the drag list, BPU TTs running low 13 second passes consistently run 8.7 - 8.8 sec 1/8 mile, NAs can run 9.5 sec]

* which is a fair "traffic light grand prix", since you'll be running illegal speeds by the end of it

Yes the TT wins by a margin, but 0.75 sec over a standing 1/8th isn't exactly a different league. Of course go into licence losing territory and it's a completely different story, but how often do people drive that fast these days? (that's rhetorical btw) :innocent:

:looney:

I'm going to be calling on this post every time one of those ego maniac TT's owners starts up... :)

8% quicker?! that's actually a bit embarrassing for the amount of money some people have thrown at these cars... and for the amount of chat I've read about them in the last three years.

A couple of vids from 04 at the ice rink:

Bpu manual (a 1 bar) vs n/a auto (aerotop)

SAVE TARGET AS

Stock tt auto vs na auto (aerotop)

SAVE TARGET AS

And a 80 - 140 lepton run from somebody that i know on a private runway !

SAVE TARGET AS

Standing start isn't really where its at for the tt, in gear acceleration is a much better indicator of speed ;) as lets face it how often are you doing a standing start against another car ?

Angie and myself have both run 13's in bone stock TT's.

My first TT ran 13.68 in factory trim. (both cats still in place etc)

Angie ran 13.47 in a totally stock car too.

Decatted and with a FCD, (running at 1.1bar) I ran a 12.87 - no other mods whatsoever. (How cheap was that!!)

TBH, I've never had a totally stock TT that hasn't seen mid 13's.

Why is everyone bitching about TT's and N/a's. Does it make your k**b's sweat or something. Ive only been on this site for 3 months and you lot bicker more than the kids on the world of warcraft forums!

Yes TT's are faster. Alot faster as I raced one the other day in Wimborne (Hi btw if your reading this).

But who Fecking cares. Speed isnt everything. Just be thankful you can afford a Supra. Theres people out there who are lucky to own a Ford fiesta let along a 3 litre Gt sports car!

I wanted a TT but dont see the point as i dont really need the power! If you have a TT, then good for you, have a banana, if you don't and complain Just buy one and stop irritating th boys with the bigger toys!

Let the barrage of "Shut the F*** up" commense!

It used to be the opinion / consensus on here in years gone by that the manual was the faster car. The drag times thread soon changed that perception.

on stock/bpu cars i believe a manual would be faster IF you could stop the 1st and 2nd gear wheelspin.........

ie drag radials on a stock/bpu auto i cannot see making a big difference to the times, on a manual i can see them making a huge difference.......

No one has ever compared a lambo and a corso to a tt and an na to be fair.

If you were that confident in your car you wouldnt need to be justifying it sonic.

It's just a car that gets me to work to be fair... which is probably a pretty uncool thing to say on a 'Jap Tuning forum'. However at least I actually use my car on a daily basis.

If I spent loads of money on it, and banged on about how much better it was than a lesser N/A (as much as some people on here do), I'd at least track it now and again. Most around here are just content to shine it up and take pictures.

I just mildly object to being repeatedly told on here how rubbish my car is, when in fact it's not too different.

.. and that's the thing... mine is a work horse, and TT owners think they own full on 'racing' cars... and 8% difference...? erm...

Standing start isn't really where its at for the tt, in gear acceleration is a much better indicator of speed ;)

Indeed, in fact isn't 3rd gear acceleration faster than a 993 Turbo? There is a chart somewhere (from a magazine article perhaps??) comparing the in gear acceleration times but I don't know where that is.

My 1/8th ETs are around 7.5 seconds. That's 2 seconds quicker than your quoted N/A best 1/8th ET of 9.5 seconds. That does make the N/A look a little silly after such a short distance, wouldn't you agree?

Horses for courses, you can get a decent N/A driver making a crap TT driver look slow, I'm sure.

In reality the extra speed and power of a TT is really about perception. It can pin you back in your seat, gives the adrenaline rush I know my brain lusts after. An N/A just feels like I'm experiencing never ending turbo lag :innocent:

Cheers,

Brian.

Posted by Henk…….

“I have a stock J-Spec TT and when returning from DragonBall I was following Scooter (NA) from M25 up the A3 slip road.

Honestly I have to say I was surprised at the NA's performance!

Many of you know I drive like a granny most of the time anyway but this gave me some insight into the NA performance and it was way faster than I expected.”

My view….

People out on cruises etc often are suprised when they later find out when certain cars are NA's, but from within them there is no mistaking the two..........TT's (stock) are silky smooth, absolutely effortlessly propel you along........can find yourself flying without even trying.........NA's you need to 'work' hard to impress!

My memory of my TT is that it was much faster than my NA. However - I don't know how much of that is because it was my first fast car, how much is because the turbo kick always makes it feel like you're hitting light speed and how much is because my memory is crap (it was about 9 years ago).

I don't really see what the big deal is. A TT is faster than an NA - no question. If the TT is still not fast enough for you, it's easy to make it faster.

I'm happy with my NA - it's fast enough for what I want, and I wouldn't want a turbo for those wet winter roads. I also think that regardless of how much power the Supra can make, it's fat and bloaty and not the kind of car I like to drive fast anyway. I prefer something a bit more nimble.

My 1/8th ETs are around 7.5 seconds. That's 2 seconds quicker than your quoted N/A best 1/8th ET of 9.5 seconds. That does make the N/A look a little silly after such a short distance, wouldn't you agree?

yes i would agree

HOWEVER a stock/bpu TT doing mid 13's (and not the 11.something you are doing) will have a 1/8 of a mile time of near 9 secs don't you agree?

I asked a similar question a few weeks ago about having my na changed to a TT as i was disapointed with the performance from the results of the drag strip at santa pod. not only that but i got beat by a corsa the other night, all be it up to 130 but i could of sat at that speed for a while and some, well untill the fuel run out as the misses only puts 20 quid in it at one time. since found out this corsa has 2 engines in it!!! WTF!!! totally standard from the outside but different story under the bonnet and inside!!

i have spoke to jezz at silverstone garage about changing the engine and as we have an aerotop and got it for a good price then the upgrade could work out as cost effective as we will prob get most of our money back if we sell as these are sort after cars.

so how about a cheap aerotop and bung in a tt lump for around 3K

its what we might do just after christmas.

Woah there, I think you want to head on over to Supraforums. Now those guys can bitch. :D

You know what site i found bitches alot... driftworks.Ive never heard so mny nasty comments to some of the Noobs on there. How are you supposed to run a decent forum when the mods critise the new members.

ok lets put things into prespective I once done a 1/4 mile in a 325i BMW (don't laugh), which at the time i thought was a bloody fast car. I managed a 16.1 @ 84 mph, would it be fair to say this is only 1 and a half seconds slower than an average N/A if that? ...but in reality an N/A supra would destroy the beemer on normal roads, would you agree or are you saying theres not that much difference in the 2 cars performance ???

Also all the videos on this thread to me are a little misleading. I believe it very much depends on where the camera is positioned.

You'd see a bigger difference if the video was taken from the middle of the strip or better still at the end of the strip. Of course theres not going to be much difference in the early stages of a drag race its the last hundred or so metres that show the true power of any car.

Most half decent sports cars including your GTIs and RS's will get 0-60 foot around 2 secs and most will do 1/8 mile in under 9 secs but how many standard cars can do a 1/4 mile in under 14 seconds with a speed of over 100 mph...not many.

...however saying that i bet an N/A would whoop me in the rain cos even keep the wheels from spinning in 4th gear let alone 1st and 2nd !!!

Seems to be a re-occuring theme on here that TT owners have to slate NA owners, put me off the site for ages but I'm getting used to it now. Perhaps it stems from some insecurity and a constant need to prove themselves, or a realisation that the 10k+ they just spent only sends them a second or two quicker down the road. So what if one model is faster than another, we all love the Supras, we should be a club and not some elitest unit.

I thought about the TT, but my NA is a daily driver. With the age of the average TT at 13 years old, the mileage creeping up I wouldn't mind betting the NAs are going to end up being faster as 'we' overtake broken down TTs (only joking, just demonstrating a them and us attitude belittleing another model). If it is all about speed and not the love of the car then go buy a bike, a noble, or a myriad of other machines that are faster than the TT.

Also all the videos on this thread to me are a little misleading. I believe it very much depends on where the camera is positioned.

So now it was the positioning of the camera? come on... it should be a 'clear' beat-down if you lot are to be believed. How could Toyota make such an under powered car?! it's a replica after all?!

Of course theres not going to be much difference in the early stages of a drag race its the last hundred or so metres that show the true power of any car.

Above 100? so not much difference in pre-'license losing' territory? OK.

...however saying that i bet an N/A would whoop me in the rain cos even keep the wheels from spinning in 4th gear let alone 1st and 2nd !!!

I use my car all through winter (on snow when up North) with no traction control. :)

OK, I'll shut up now... it's beginning to look like I give a shit! :D:p