The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How much for a full respray?

hadyn

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should all have a go yourselves, and then ask yourself how much would you want to do it to your standard!

All depends, how cheeky person is :D When I was repairing computers and such I felt really guilty to charge 50 quid for recovering few sad photos accidentially deleted by some 60+ years old chap :p

You still didn;t convince me, that 4k is not rip-off for respraying Supra. It is your everyday job, you know what to do :p I wish I have equipment, knowledge and place to have a go by myself, I would save shitloads of money and really enjoying this at the same time. Actually, I will still save shitloads of money by sending my car to garage in Poland :D

Price up removing all the glass, new window trims, prep, paint, materials, labour, blah blah. 4K is cheap, a really good OE repaint, WITHOUT doing the engine bay, on a car of that size, with bonded glass, could be as high as 6K for a really good job. For a proper colour change you would pay a LOT more. If it makes you feel any better a colleague just bought a single turbo for a WRC Mitsubishi Evo, and it was over 6 grand.

To put this in context, I wouldnt want windows etc removing and would just want the exterior painting and any visible bits, e.g. door sills etc... Wouldnt be too fussed about the engine bay remaining silver....

Are bodyshops taking some people for a ride because you drive supras or something? Im not having a dig, I just really cant justify spending more than a grand on paint, sorry :(

Iv worked in many body shops and have owned my own in the past few years, but now I leave it to other people.

You'll get a good job for a grand if you go to the right place.

CustomWorx in rochdale is exceptional and It would be a grand for metallic as I know the owner very well.

Remember that if you buy cheap paint it will look poor, there is no good cheap laquer.

The cheapest "factory standard" paint I have seen is Lessannol (not sure on that spelling) which is made by sickkens and pretty much impossible to tell the difference.

It will cost about £800 for enough to do a proper respray, time and materials after that.

If you get a crap respray, then you have destroyed the car. Front and rear window seals are cheap from Steve Manley so dont scrimp, you'll regret it.

Either do it right or leave it alone!.

To properly respray takes a hell of a time - and whoever does it make sure thay have a full baking oven (none of this drying in air!)

One of these needs proper planning approval and maintenance - so the 'cheap' places wont have one...

Shuts out (window and lights etc) is a must - or you get ridges that might chip and flake - and get into the engine bay too - or forever keep the hood shut (that's just IMHO!) :)

Call GVN and go down there and see the Aston's, Jag's, Rollers' and Mercs all being done...Then pop round to your local 'Botchit and Scarper' painter and check out the delivery vans and Corsas...

Nuff said... :(

Alternatively and for £80/100 (I think that is what they charge?)get your existing one fully professionally mopped and polished - believe me the difference will astound you... :)

One of my pet hates is when someone has gone to te expense/trouble of painting a car and scrimped at removing glass/seals/handles etc and just masked around them usually quite badly.

As Dragonball says you end up with ridges and give a month or 2 and a few washes you'll soon see flaking or paint lifting around these areas.

I remember quite a few years ago i read 3M had developed a special masking tape with a wedge shaped foam edge for bodyshops to use on seals.

Which would go under the seal to lift it from the body so the final paint edge would end up under the seal itself and thus save taking them out, guess it didn't take-off still seeing loadsa ropey mask up jobs these days! I guess if the seals are narrow and not particularly soft/flexible like on the Supra would be a royal PITA to stick on so who would be arsed. :rolleyes:

Chris is correct, itll look crap if you just mask everything... Marc T just had his done.. Cost him near to 2k and we did the majority of the stripping and rebuilding of the car.. That saved him loads in labour as our sprayer could just get on with 'Prepping/painting'

However just because you spend 4K does not guarantee youll get a good job... Throwing money at a car just for the sake of it is also stupid... Meet your sprayer, see his results... If he tells you how it is, has a good price, with a finish you are happy with.. why not use him...

A good idea would be to see some of the cars hes panted in the past, so see how well the paint stands up to useage... I found this out... My car was painted last year, looked great, but look at it 8000 miles later it looks like its done 100000 miles with the stone chips on the front.. I now need to get it done again.... :(

I think if you can do a lot of the masking and removing yourself then thats half the battle, leaving the sprayer to do the skillful bit ;)

If you went to JAE you will have seen the lexus blue Supra in the show and shine, that was a GVN spray job i believe and i have to say is probably the best spray jobs i have seen.

I had a dent/scratch repair man alike Chipsaway/Autorestore repair my rear quarter panel only a few days before I sold my car (my brother skimmed his chainsaw down the side taking out an inch of paint). That only cost £70, took the guy 2 hours and was totally flawless when he finished and he pretty much sprayed the whole panel.

Does your car REALLY need a respray is what I'm asking? For about £600 you could have a few poor panels touched up and the whole car mopped and polished. It'd look near new anyway. Mine did when it came out of PL Carbodies and that only cost £700. :)