The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just finished the budget NA-T project (with pics)

kieren1234

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:innocent:

It wasnt like that mate, i started sourcing parts for an na-t for my friend (the person that helped me do this project) and he bought all the bits as we were doing it on a spare engine (that i got for free from lucifer) and he was going to be putting it in a supra shell if he could find one cheaply enough. We had most of the parts and he decided he could not afford to do the project any more and was struggling to find a good shell, so we decided that i would buy all the bits from him (now that i have my money problems controlled) and after my mum and dad have given me quite alot of money to sort things out (cleared credit cards and "some" student loan debt) and i decided to spend some on the car. Hence why i bought all the stuff from him. Hope this makes snese and i agree that, seeing from your presepective it looks bad on me.

It just seemed a little strange to me after only a couple of weeks you could do this to your car. Maybe i looked into it to much :innocent:

I am glad you have been able to clear some of your debts etc...

Also well done on completing this project, i do like to see members try these things themselves and actually finish them too :)

Hope the cars runs well, when finally mapped.

:innocent:

I am glad you didnt take that the wrong way. It just seemed a little strange to me after only a couple of weeks you could do this to your car. Maybe i looked into it to much :innocent:

I am glad you have been able to clear your debts etc...

Also well done on completing this project, i do like to see members try these things themselves and actually finish them too :)

Hope the cars runs well, when finally mapped.

I took it with a pinch of salt mate, when i look at things from your point of view, it would look dodgy to me.

Im not debt free, BUT the debt i have left is only student loands (and whatever student loans i get to help with my degree in business course this year, which are interest freee untill im earning over 15k a year. And even then the repayments are small. Thanks for the comments Smarty.

I hope that explains it and prevents me from looking like a complete prat from smartys post. Thanks mate. PM would have been nice :thumbs:

Sorry mate, but this forum is for us members. So i dont feel it should be kept hidden by a PM.

Anyone else could have picked up on this, but i seem to be able to remember alot of things that members post up.

Well we didnt have any experience and it took us 5 weeks BUT, we ordered the parts as we went along but i would say if you had ALL the parts then you could quite easily do it properly in around 3 days if you are on it constantly. So about 24 hours in total. But its better to just take youre time and dont cut corners.

Have you fitted a stronger clutch Kieren? Also the 5 spd manual box has it's limits in terms of power it is able to handle, so you'll need to be careful.

No mate, when the clutch is due to be changed, i will upgrade it but it will handle the power. I am only going to be running 5-7 psi so will be fine.

One for potential NA-T members to consider,

First of all I dont mean to p*ss all over your thread kieren but no one seems to have said it,

Unless you are lucky, or shrewd enough to source parts for the formerly quoted its gonna cost quite a bit more to do a 'decent' NA-T conversion,

Your car will be lucky to benefit from this conversion at 7psi, afterall you are losing the response of being an N/A

The main saving in this type of conversion will be labour costs, but we are all enthusiasts here, if you have the time, this could be done, pretty easily, with a bit of confidence and common sense.

Just a bit of honest advice for a potential NA-T owner that thinks they will spend their next months wage on this type of conversion to find out that they gotta spend the next months to finish it...then the next and maybe the next!;)

One for potential NA-T members to consider,

First of all I dont mean to p*ss all over your thread kieren but no one seems to have said it,

Unless you are lucky, or shrewd enough to source parts for the formerly quoted its gonna cost quite a bit more to do a 'decent' NA-T conversion,

Your car will be lucky to benefit from this conversion at 7psi, afterall you are losing the response of being an N/A

The main saving in this type of conversion will be labour costs, but we are all enthusiasts here, if you have the time, this could be done, pretty easily, with a bit of confidence and common sense.

Just a bit of honest advice for a potential NA-T owner that thinks they will spend their next months wage on this type of conversion to find out that they gotta spend the next months to finish it...then the next and maybe the next!;)

All i am doing is creating a walkthrough and parts list to "help" people, i never said they will be able to do it as cheaply as i have or whether its reliable or not. Im just trying to help people that want to attempt this on their own.............

Indeed, and fair play to you, just gotta beware what gets taken out of context by other members, when they budget for 1300quid and then find that if they actually manage to achieve the build its very unreliable...

Then the stories of all these single turbo conversions emerge(which have done already), that they arent very reliable, which directly affects me and every one of you supra owners out there, where your resale value plummets and the 'supra' name is tarnished to the state its in today...:(

In theory if your parts manage to hold up then you have still achieved a very cheap build once mapped at around 2grand...but for some thats still a huge investment on a car that is depreciating so fast...

I'm just not feeling the love at the moment...think I need a hug:D

Quote from Bromy...

“Boostlogic kit with the PT61 made 283 at the wheels at 0.35bar around (5psi) before the head gasket change, and that was with a safc2 which was running rich.”

283 at the wheels is stock tt power'ish i think.

Bromy had 650cc injectors trimmed down by the safc, but if Keiren can get the fuel in to do the job without det then this sort of power figure i suspect is obtainable.

Bromy also never complained of a loss of torque/response low down, after all the engine is still on the same compression there is just a little more exhaust restriction, but as going NA-T means no front CAT maybe the loss of this restriction offsets the increase from the turbo (complete guess i've no idea on the actual effects here)

Boostlogic kit with the PT61 made 283 at the wheels at 0.35bar around (5psi) before the head gasket change, and that was with a safc2 which was running rich

I'm sorry dont believe that, over 300 bhp at 5psi?? Someones having a Giraffe ere! Lemme see the graph...

Your forgetting the most important thing about response in a N/A there scooter, the intake path