The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just finished the budget NA-T project (with pics)

kieren1234

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your forgetting the most important thing about response in a N/A there scooter, the intake path

maybe i am...............but all am saying is your speculation of poor response is not percieved by those that have done the conversion.

I accept that there is a period of time between the owner driving it as a pure NA and then as a NA-T and that in that time they may forget the instant response they had when it was purely NA. They do not however report it being laggy at low rpm 's which suggests the presence of the turbo and extended intake path are not massively noticeable to the end user......

maybe i am...............but all am saying is your speculation of poor response is not percieved by those that have done the conversion.

I accept that there is a period of time between the owner driving it as a pure NA and then as a NA-T and that in that time they may forget the instant response they had when it was purely NA. They do not however report it being laggy at low rpm 's which suggests the presence of the turbo and extended intake path are not massively noticeable to the end user......

Well explained mate. Cheers for clearing that up.

I originally thought amazing, then seen noticed these

Thanks TerryS, Phoenix, IanC

When their involved usually a magical wand has been passed;)

Nice figures - thats probably around 360bhp.

No it probably isnt, Ian C reported 8% drivetrain losses, I expect less on an N/A, or very close

How much has been reported of this dyno? I didnt think this was logically possible to obtain this power at this small pressure increase

Hopefully I'm wrong and have learned something today

230 to 300bhp with 5psi of boost on a big ol' T61 sounds OK to me.

As for "losing response" on the NA, that's a bit daft unless compression is lowered as it's exactly the same engine, you get the normal NA response and then more power and torque once the turbo spins up. If an owner things it makes it laggy, drive a non-turbo'd NA and have infinite lag instead ;)

I'd be interested in hosting the walkthrough in tech once the car is up, running, and mapped and all the bugfixes are sorted :thumbs: It'd be counterproductive to release a walkthrough guide and then later find out that hose x is the wrong diameter or bolt Y needs to be longer or whatever. And please do protect that bit of silicon hose directly above the hot side ;)

It'll be interesting to see how you get on with the AFCII.

-Ian

True,

They do not however report it being laggy at low rpm 's which suggests the presence of the turbo and extended intake path are not massively noticeable to the end user......

If you cant notice the difference from an N/A to a turbo'd car your not driving your cars had enough:eyebrows:

Your not only increasing the intake path but also putting a restriction into it i.e. the compressor of the turbo, which will be more restrictive at low rpm's

However...everyone has their own likes and dislikes of how they drive their car, not everyone is interested in response, hence the reason for T88's e.t.c in which case this conversion would suit

230 to 300bhp with 5psi of boost on a big ol' T61 sounds OK to me.

As for "losing response" on the NA, that's a bit daft unless compression is lowered as it's exactly the same engine, you get the normal NA response and then more power and torque once the turbo spins up. If an owner things it makes it laggy, drive a non-turbo'd NA and have infinite lag instead ;)

I'd be interested in hosting the walkthrough in tech once the car is up, running, and mapped and all the bugfixes are sorted :thumbs: It'd be counterproductive to release a walkthrough guide and then later find out that hose x is the wrong diameter or bolt Y needs to be longer or whatever. And please do protect that bit of silicon hose directly above the hot side ;)

It'll be interesting to see how you get on with the AFCII.

-Ian

Thanks Ian. Thats why i dont want to host the walkthrough yet. I would rather make sure the car works firstly, and then when it gets mapped i will ru it for a few weeks to make sure it is ok and nothing goes wrong. I will contact you once this has been done and when i am ready for you to host the walkthrough in tech (as i have no idea how to do it with all the pictures etc.)

Cheers bud.

The ' 283 whp ' power that mine produced @ 0.35bar was actually running with a safc at the time on stock compression, It is now running 0.8bar with about 8.5:1 compression and with a e-manage, I dont think you will notice any difference in off boost performance if you use a small enough turbo.

Well, when i have done the write up, i would like to offer a fitting service

I dont mean to be rude, but this is troubling me a little.

Its all very well working on your car, and doing your own work, but working on someone elses car is another matter entirely. So many things i can think of that could go wrong from what you have so far said.

You have been an owner for not a very long time, and decided to do this work, and thats super, full credit to you, but too much doesnt add up.

Over the years too many good cars have been ruined by shoddy work from one dodgy trader or another, its time to stop that imo.

Like i say, im not meaning this to sound nasty, just an observation really....

I dont mean to be rude, but this is troubling me a little.

Its all very well working on your car, and doing your own work, but working on someone elses car is another matter entirely. So many things i can think of that could go wrong from what you have so far said.

You have been an owner for not a very long time, and decided to do this work, and thats super, full credit to you, but too much doesnt add up.

Over the years too many good cars have been ruined by shoddy work from one dodgy trader or another, its time to stop that imo.

Like i say, im not meaning this to sound nasty, just an observation really....

:yeahthat:

The Supra reputation has taken a battering over the last year or so. I just wouldnt like it too get any worse.

Will take into consideration what you said :)

All i meant was, i would help people as much as i could with the fitting and walking them through it. If you have got something against that then thats your problem not mine. All i was doing, was trying to help others that want to tackle something like this as i have.

Will take into consideration what you said :)

All i meant was, i would help people as much as i could with the fitting and walking them through it. If you have got something against that then thats your problem not mine. All i was doing, was trying to help others that want to tackle something like this as i have.

Its not just my problem though Kieren....

Helping with advice is one thing, but when you have power hungry new members without much tech knowledge taking what you say as gospel, thats where the problems occur.

I really dont want you to think im having a pop, but imo, its not a good idea.

Helping with advice is one thing, but when you have power hungry new members without much tech knowledge taking what you say as gospel, thats where the problems occur.

Agree with Rob here. I have been in Engineering for 20 years, there are jobs I do on my own car but I know where to draw the line with the more technical things. Possibly ask IanC if he would be kind enough to have a read through this 'walkthrough' and point out any mistakes (if there are any) and see if it is suitable for others to read

Ok Rob, ill not help any of these "power hungry" people with their na-t install by sending them my "gospel" (walkthrough). Just thought it would be nice to ooffer, you know, club spirit and all that.

Possibly ask IanC if he would be kind enough to have a read through this 'walkthrough' and point out any mistakes (if there are any) and see if it is suitable for others to read

I think Ian is going to look at it for that reason, but its not the walkthrough thats a potential problem (as long as its correct and checked) its the working on other peoples cars with no insurance against problems.

What if you fit an NA-T conversion and 2 weeks later the car blows?

Agree with Rob here. I have been in Engineering for 20 years, there are jobs I do on my own car but I know where to draw the line with the more technical things. Possibly ask IanC if he would be kind enough to have a read through this 'walkthrough' and point out any mistakes (if there are any) and see if it is suitable for others to read

No i think the easiest option will be to not bother with the walkthrough mate. People can just find it on about 10 different writeups on the web. Cheers for your comments.

Ok Rob, ill not help any of these "power hungry" people with their na-t install by sending them my "gospel" (walkthrough). Just thought it would be nice to ooffer, you know, club spirit and all that.

You replied as i was...

The walkthrough (as long as checked) aint an issue, its the offers of fitting service.

I think Ian is going to look at it for that reason, but its not the walkthrough thats a potential problem (as long as its correct and checked) its the working on other peoples cars with no insurance against problems.

What if you fit an NA-T conversion and 2 weeks later the car blows?

I dont want to completely fit an na-t for anyone as i probably havnt got the time, i would just help them if they needed it. I appreciate your view though and see where you are coming from. Can an admin delete this thread at all as its just cluttered.

You werent offering the walkthrough, you are quoted as a fitting service.

You've done a great job mate, help people all you want but do not do it as a service and dont do it for money....do it for love and a donation :D

In all serious look whats happeend at TF and that was a professional outlet.

I dont want to completely fit an na-t for anyone as i probably havnt got the time, i would just help them if they needed it. I appreciate your view though and see where you are coming from. Can an admin delete this thread at all as its just cluttered.

Ok.

See help and advice is absolutely fine, thats why the forum exists.

No need to delete the thread tho.

Don't take it to heart Keiren, Robs making a good point.

What I would suggest is that:

1. You get the car up and running

2. You finish your walkthrough (as no doubt you will find some things to change once the engine is running) It won't be all correct first time round!

3. You pass the walkthough on to Ian for review

4. Ian (or one of us) can then post this up on the site.

You werent offering the walkthrough, you are quoted as a fitting service.

You've done a great job mate, help people all you want but do not do it as a service and dont do it for money....do it for love and a donation :D

In all serious look whats happeend at TF and that was a professional outlet.

I did Say a couple of times, i would help anyone for free. . . . When i say fitting service, i dont mean a proper service, i meant if someone was having trouble.